Cataldo Ambulance

emtjoe10

Forum Probie
Hello, so a quick question for any who work or have knowledge about Cataldo Ambulance. I am set up to be taking the pre-employment pre-test on the 26th of april and was looking for some help on what exactly they test you on or what i should study. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You..

JPINFV

Gadfly
Cataldo's exam is essentially a 4 part exam. There's a multiple choice exam, a narritive writing section, a map reading section, and a practical section. If you pass the exam, you are then invited back for an interview with HR.

Danson

Forum Crew Member
Could you let us know how it goes? I know I'll be interested...I'll be moving back home to Boston from Cali at the end of May and Cataldo is one of my top choices.

feldy

Forum Captain
Also keep us updated on the hiring process for Cataldo. They told me recently that they are hiring Basics but unfortunately because i am in school out of state, i can only committ to the summer and they are looking for a 6 month min employment time.

Raf

Forum Lieutenant
When I did it, the HR interview was at the same time as the pre-employment test.

If you pass the test, and the interview..then you have to schedule a time to get a physical done. The physical includes a drug test, hearing, sight, peripheral vision, color blind, lifting 120 pounds, and spirometer test.

Once you're ok to go, you're invited to the orientation, following which, you then are able to sign up for shifts directly after.

nemedic

Forum Captain
did they say what status they were hiring for? Full time, part time, or per diem? i've gotten different answers from different people @cataldo/atlantic that are involved in the hiring process there?

Raf

Forum Lieutenant
When I was getting hired they would not let you go per diem status unless you were with the company for a full year. They would never hire a fresh employee as per diem. Unfortunately I don't know the answer if this is still their policy, so please do not quote me on this. I do know that they also have a 6 month shift requirement in order to prevent college students staying for 3 months of the summer.

feldy

Forum Captain
When I was getting hired they would not let you go per diem status unless you were with the company for a full year. They would never hire a fresh employee as per diem. Unfortunately I don't know the answer if this is still their policy, so please do not quote me on this. I do know that they also have a 6 month shift requirement in order to prevent college students staying for 3 months of the summer.

Unfortunately thats me...a lot of companies are like this right now in MA due to some of the lengthy orientations (anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months) and scheduling. It has made it very difficult to find work as an EMT for the summer, im trying my luck in ED's as a volunteer and have a few interviews lined up with some of the hospitals.

dmc2007

Forum Captain

On the flip side, will a lot of companies in the Boston area hire out-of-state students (but certified in MA) for the school year?

feldy

Forum Captain
im not sure. Boston EMS definitely not due to city job requirements and stuff like that. I Dont live in the city so i can not work for Boston EMS. Judging by your location, I believe your school is too far to work for them to. Look to see if your school has required ride time and a local affliate, i know mine does with the Major 911 in the city. If they dont, maybe that is a way to get on with a company in boston.

Also if you are certified in MA, you should not have a problem working. The only problem is if you can put in enough time with them.

I would just make some phone calls though and if you are on your schools EMS then maybe let them know that.

Danson

Forum Crew Member
so for Cataldo do you apply and then get asked to come in for testing, or do you just call and register for the test date and submit an application then?

rowcin7272

Forum Ride Along
I registered for the exam (you can either over the phone or by email) and she sent me the application and the CORI form to bring in on test day.

huey28

Forum Probie
if you are a medic look into action... medics there are busy have some good citys that run intercept

Raf

Forum Lieutenant
On the flip side, will a lot of companies in the Boston area hire out-of-state students (but certified in MA) for the school year?

Sure why not. As long as you're committed to keeping a shift for 6-months.

feldy

Forum Captain
Ive called about 6 or 7 companies in the greater boston area that say they are hiring but six months is a minimum for most, mostly because thier individual training and orientation programs are about 3 months (to learn state and company protocals and policies) before you get to ride with and FTO. Unfortunatly for me this has made it very hard to get a job because i can only give about a 3 month commitment at a time because i go to school out of state and am only home on holidays and during the summer. But if anyone knows of any place that is hiring part time or seasonal, let me know.

Thanach

Forum Crew Member
so for Cataldo do you apply and then get asked to come in for testing, or do you just call and register for the test date and submit an application then?

You call and register, get sent an application and cori form via email, and are requested to bring that, a copy of your driving record, and all of your certifications (EMT/EMT-P, BCLS, ACLS, Drivers License) in with you on the day of testing.

You'll take the test, which is VERY hard, contains multiple choice questions, narrative writing section, map reading section, if you're a paramedic there are also sections on 12 lead interpretation and a section where you have to list treatments for a couple scenarios, and they expect you to go soup to nuts, everything listed, even the Med Control options.

Then you do a practical, for BLS it's just like a simplified state test, for ALS it's 4 or 5 scenarios in a mega-code like setting.

After all that you have an interview, usually with the HR person, sometime with their Clinical Director if the HR person is falling behind because there's a bunch of applicants.

IF you pass all that, you'll get a call in a week or two with an orientation date (they run one per month, usually in the second half of the month) and instructions to set up your physical ability test / drug screening.

Orientation is a 3 day process for BLS (Tues-Thurs), 4 days for ALS (Tues-Fri) with Friday being inter-facility transfers, pump operation, auto-pulse, vent operation, etc... Orientation finishes with a Protocol Exam for ALS, not sure about BLS.

After that you get scheduled for your FTO time, BLS it's 40 hours, ALS it's 96 hours.

Once you're cleared from that you get a schedule that you're committed to for 6 months.

BLS, you will get 911 experience working here, when ALS is busy, BLS gets the calls, in some cities, the calls will be triaged by dispatch.

If you get to the Atlantic division, some cities have city-dedicated BLS 911 trucks.

dpopkin

Forum Probie
im taking the cataldo test this Thursday any one have suggestions i have been an emt for about 9 months and have about 6 months of experience.

thanks

Thanach

Forum Crew Member
im taking the cataldo test this Thursday any one have suggestions i have been an emt for about 9 months and have about 6 months of experience.

thanks

You'll need to do CPR like at your state practical, have a written test, including a map reading section. They test you on the bls albuterol neb protocols, but if you don't know it cause your last employer didn't do it just be honest and tell them that, they wont hold it against you.

Good luck, we always need more peoples

dpopkin

Forum Probie
thanks i forgot to mention i took it before about 7 months ago and didn't pass i was just seeing if anyone had new ideas

thanks

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
For what it's worth, when they called with my results last week, they also told me that the schedule is completely full. I wouldn't count on getting a job even after you pass.
EDIT: For EMT-Bs, that is. I think they're still a bit desperate for medics.