Career Advice for soon-to-be EMTB

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
I started out taking the EMT class just for fun and personal development, BUT now I'm really into this stuff. After my AMR ride-alongs and ER rotation, I really want to be in the middle of this stuff.

I've been thinking AMR because they're the only company with the 911 contract around here (Bay Area), though I heard I'd have to work 4-6 months? of BLS routine transport.

Someone mentioned ER Tech. Is there additional training for that? Do emergency rooms hire EMTs? What are their duties compared to a tech?

If I decided to move forward to paramedic, what would increase my chances of being hired (I heard in AMR, it's harder to be hired as one).

I just graduated from college, so I don't quite know what my long-term career goals are.

Any other ideas/positions I could do with EMTB or paramedic?

PS
Anyone know how in demand EMTB's are in LA area? Thinking of moving down there this summer, but should I send in my application now? waitlist?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
AMR in California is different :rolleyes: . Best source for this is the AMR myspace group - lots of info on California: groups.myspace.com/amr

AMR seems to be a good company to work for but there have been some labor relations issues in different counties, etc.

If you are hired on, you will probably start doing BLS interfacilities to "earn your stripes" before you can move on to running 911. This is partially just so that you can become familiar with vehicle operation, as well as documentation, etc.

Jon

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Get out while you still have the chance...

I hear McDonalds is hiring!

Make more grilling frozen cow parts, than saving lives... Isn't American great?

Strike3

Forum Crew Member
Having gotten my basic in San Jose, CA, I can tell you that AMR is virtually impossible for a new basic to get hired with. Last I checked, Santa Clara, San Mateo and Alameda counties had huge waiting lists. I think Priority One in Alameda is a great bet. They have a great family atmosphere, do some 911 some critical care. I worekd for them before moving to Charleston and loved it.

You need experience, and AMR is not necessarily the holy grail of EMS jobs.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Strike3@Nov 29 2005, 11:50 AM
You need experience, and AMR is not necessarily the holy grail of EMS jobs.
WHAT???? :eek: (j/k :lol: )

AMR, locally is a GREAT place to work, the bosses are understanding, etc.

I refer to the Myspace group for better info on CA ops.