Career Advancemanet

LockOut

Forum Ride Along
Looking for advice from guys older and wiser, I'm 25 and have been a medic since 21, working in the field on a box doing 911 response. I have 2 AAS with honors in Firefighting and Paramedics. I have spent every day since i turned 19 and a considerable amount of money trying to land the dream job of being a career firefighter instead of just a volly and its not going anywhere, I'm not going to stop trying, but its time to move on in some ways.

I'm looking to either move towards an RN, and do some time in an ER/ICU and then transfer to a flight position as I'd be dual certified and it would help me out with the competitiveness of trying to get a job on a bird. I have been looking into the Excelsior online paramedic to RN AAS bridge, but would like to have a BS instead of a third AAS.

The other option, and I'm not sure if this is even possible is Paramedic to PA transfer, Do these programs exists, or would i be better going EMTP ––––> RN ––––> PA? I have never had a hard time in school, and always enjoyed learning medical stuff so I think i would enjoy learning to be a PA, I'm just not sure how I feel about working in a doctors office all day long. Are there many field opportunities for PA's out there (overseas or not). The money sounds nice though, 75k a year part time scheduling around my golf game Be a change instead of 70 hour weeks on a box.

So yea some of you guys who have been in the game longer than I have, any advice

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Yes dual RN/NRP will help you land a job on the bird. However If your thinking about PA do not waste your time on RN. IMO that is taking a step backwards. I am completing this BS degree at the moment. http://www.cwu.edu/health-science/paramedicine You can come in with an advanced standing as a current Paramedic with an AAS. If you took the pre req's for PA like organic chemistry and stuff, i do not see why this BS degree would not be perfect for you, if you have the PA pre rec's.

Sublime

LP, RN
There is no EMT-P to PA or Anything to PA transfer/bridge program.

PA schools require a BS degree in anything to apply. Doesn't have to be a medical related BS to get in, but obviously that would be helpful.

If you're going to go RN to PA you might as well forget PA and go Nurse Practitioner.

If you want to be a PA then forget wasting time as an RN.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
PA schools require a BS degree in anything to apply. Doesn't have to be a medical related BS to get in, but obviously that would be helpful.

Most do. There are a few that issue a certificate or an AA.

If you're going to go RN to PA you might as well forget PA and go Nurse Practitioner.

Stanford offers the dual PA/NP for RNs

JakeEMTP

Forum Captain
Stanford offers the dual PA/NP for RNs

I believe that is no longer true snce the NP requires at minimum a Masters degree and the PA is still a certicate based on a community college program (Associates) with the remaining 21 months at Stanford.

http://pcap.stanford.edu/program/

There probably won't be many job openings in NY just like CA in nursing for those who only have an ADN or ASN. Most are for BSNs especially in flight.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
One of the most repeated misconceptions here is that there is some sort of progression of employment/education between EMT, paramedic, nursing assistant, RN, etc etc.

If you want RN, go to RN school. If you have credits which will transfer, or find a bridge program which will let you use your credits, use it, but don't make it a career path to get and use bridge programs etc.

Sort of like getting a pilot's license starting out as a taxi driver, then a race driver, then going faster and faster....

JakeEMTP

Forum Captain
One of the most repeated misconceptions here is that there is some sort of progression of employment/education between EMT, paramedic, nursing assistant, RN, etc etc.

In the United States, to be a Paramedic it is usually required that you get your certification as an EMT first. To get a Paramedic license, the state will say "EMT certification required".

RN schools can also require the CNA first and I believe in a couple of states that is state wide even if it is not a mandate for licensure.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
I believe that is no longer true snce the NP requires at minimum a Masters degree and the PA is still a certicate based on a community college program (Associates) with the remaining 21 months at Stanford.

http://pcap.stanford.edu/program/

There probably won't be many job openings in NY just like CA in nursing for those who only have an ADN or ASN. Most are for BSNs especially in flight.

I stand corrected. The Stanford PA/NP option is no longer offered.

I'm sure there will be plenty of jobs, and those existing Cert/AA/BA providers will be grandfathered, but there is a 2014(?) deadline that all PA programs offer a master's degree so it's quickly becoming a moot point.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I am not aware of the PA rules from state to state. However I will say over the past 10 years in EMS I have lost what seems like a magnitude of partners and co workers who went on to PA. From my understanding they all went to complete a bachelors then went on to "PA School" which was an additional 2 years after the undergrad degree. I have never herd of an AA or AAS PA program.

mycrofft

RN schools can also require the CNA first and I believe in a couple of states that is state wide even if it is not a mandate for licensure.

I see the word "can". First I've heard about it; not a totally bad idea, especially if it gives CNA's a way to a better living. But I'v never herd of it as a prereq. I also know of many fire paramedics here who were not EMT's first, although they were "emergency first responders" to be basic firefighters.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I have never herd of an AA or AAS PA program.

I believe Cali may. They do not require PAs to have masters to practice.

As others have said, if you plan on going to PA school then just get what ever bachelors you can that fulfills the prerequisites

If you want to be an RN then go get your BSN.

IMO nursing is a better option since you have the option to go either PA or NP as well as having a good paying job while in school. Some hospitals will pay 100% tuition reembirsment for RNs going back for MSNs

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Just google up some college and tech school catalogs

JakeEMTP

Forum Captain

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
That is beyond pathetic..."Requires GPA of 2.5 or higher" :rofl:

Meh, it's a minimum to apply. I doubt that's what the average admitting GPA. AZCOM DO school only requires a 2.75 to apply...

mycrofft

Good one! True for California

Give an example of a state where you do not need to be an EMT (AEMT) before Paraemdic.

Since 46 states use the NREMT, here is what it say for the Paramedic.

http://www.nremt.org/nremt/about/reg_para_history.asp#Entry_Requirements

http://www.nremt.org/nremt/about/reg_para_history.asp

..and the Calif EMSA website FAQ downloads this if you query:

" To be eligible for a paramedic license in California an individual must:
• successfully complete an approved paramedic training program;

The minimum number of hours required for training is 1,090:
Didactic and skills 450 hours
Hospital and clinical training 160 hours
Field internship 480 hours
(which must include a minimum of 40 advanced life support (ALS) patient contacts)

pass the NREMT written and practical examinations"
(emphasis added).

; I wonder how the locals were/are getting paramedic? MAybe some sort of bridge class or quickie. I know one EMT-B class was shut down half way through.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
; I wonder how the locals were/are getting paramedic? MAybe some sort of bridge class or quickie. I know one EMT-B class was shut down half way through.

Typically the requirement for EMT prior to medic, as I've come to know it, is imposed locally, often at the program level.

mycrofft

Gotta love us, we're California!

100157. Student Eligibility.
(a) To be eligible to enter a paramedic training program an individual shall meet the
following requirements:
(1) Possess a high school diploma or general education equivalent; and
(2) possess a current basic cardiac life support card according to the Guidelines 2000
for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care at the
healthcare provider level; and
(3) possess a current EMT-I certificate or NREMT-Basic registration; or
(4) possess a current EMT-II certificate in the State of California; or
(5) be currently registered as an EMT-Intermediate with the National Registry of
Emergency Medical Technicians.

That doesn't agree with the CalEMA website's info, all those "or" 's. It actually leaves a way past NREMT. Probably just websites not keeping up with one another, the CalEMA site was last updated in Aug and called for NREMT, period.