Care of ex ems personnel

fishyfish

Forum Crew Member
How do you no agitate these types of patients, who likely worked in ems 30 plus years ago. They tend to think everything you do is wrong.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Remind them they can drive themselves, just like they swore they would when they were on the job.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
As everyone else said. If you want to be a **** then you are more than welcome to drive yourself, phone a friend, taxi, uber, walk, or ride the bus to get to the hospital. In fact I will gladly start filling out the AMA form to help them speed up that process.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Are you seeing so many of them that this is even a problem?

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Life Goal: Create a retirement home for medics. Jazzy's and electric wheelchairs with lights and sirens. Medic 51 tones for meals. Make sure every unit that ever responds there, has a student along...

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I've never had a problem with anyone because of their (former) medical occupation. Maybe you just actually are doing everything wrong?
When tbey expect the treatment they performed 20 years ago and their medical practice is so far out of d ate it's dangerous... they are the ones that are wrong

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
When tbey expect the treatment they performed 20 years ago and their medical practice is so far out of d ate it's dangerous... they are the ones that are wrong

Are you certain that is the cause of the OP's issue? He didn't mention what they took objection to.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
There's arse-holes in every profession, perhaps a few more attracted to ours, some created in ours too but I can't say this is an issue I've had from retired medics, RN's or Docs.

If anything I enjoy meeting these folks and have found that when engaged in conversation they seem to enjoy reconnecting with the field a bit. Whenever I've been questioned about something that's perhaps dated I explain how practice has changed.

For often I've seen providers get nervous at the prospect of treating a medic or Doc

Sure I've met some real treats that have claimed to be medics, but that's been inconsequential to their unacceptable behaviour and has been treated as such.

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
It really depends how agitated they are and for what reason(s). I can't remember any especially negative experiences with having health care providers as patients. Often they will ask a lot of questions, but I would too! As always , all patients can refuse care or a specific therapy. I just calmly explain why I want to do something, and if they still refuse, then that's that.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
There's arse-holes in every profession, perhaps a few more attracted to ours, some created in ours too but I can't say this is an issue I've had from retired medics, RN's or Docs.

This. Actual health care providers usually understand, though they're not shy about advocating for themselves. It's the family members who worked at a SNF ten years ago who tend to have strong, useless opinions about how you should be doing things.