Cardiac monitoring apps

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
What is your opinion on Cardiac monitoring apps like Kardia Mobile. Do you think this where the future of Medicine is heading.
Here's the link: https://www.alivecor.com/

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I can’t even get my Fitbit to read an accurate heart rate half the time, you think a wireless sensor is going to reliably give a clear EKG waveform? And then accurately interpret a single lead? I am going to guess not.

I can see it now...“Hello? 911? Ya my iPhone said I’m in V Tach”

It would be cool if it could call an Uber to take you to the hospital tho.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I can’t even get my Fitbit to read an accurate heart rate half the time, you think a wireless sensor is going to reliably give a clear EKG waveform? And then accurately interpret a single lead? I am going to guess not.

I can see it now...“Hello? 911? Ya my iPhone said I’m in V Tach”

It would be cool if it could call an Uber to take you to the hospital tho.
According to Apple their watch has been able to accurately show patients irregular heart beats such as A-Fib. They are working with a University medical center to further develop the capabilities and alert users. I totally geeked out and watched the entire keynote they had a couple of weeks ago

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Meh, anybody with a finger can detect an irregular heartbeat ;)
If you are aware of how to check a pulse which a decent number of people aren’t. I don’t remember the last time I checked my own pulse so heck, I could be in a-fib and not even be aware of it.

OP
OP
Kavsuvb

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
Is this is where medicine is heading right now. We can have Iphones or Androids monitor patient health and help detect A-fib or any other medical issues before the develop. Such as a smartwatch that can monitor a patient and send an alert to a doctor and EMS at the sign of A-fib or any pending medical issues.

OP
OP
Kavsuvb

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
According to Apple their watch has been able to accurately show patients irregular heart beats such as A-Fib. They are working with a University medical center to further develop the capabilities and alert users. I totally geeked out and watched the entire keynote they had a couple of weeks ago
I can see that someday where an Apple watch helps EMS detect A-fib and irregular heart beats that send an alert to an EMS crew with the patients GPS location.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I can see that someday where an Apple watch helps EMS detect A-fib and irregular heart beats that send an alert to an EMS crew with the patients GPS location.
That really is not an EMS issue to deal with nor should EMS be sent for a new onset A-Fib in someone with no complaints. That is something that should be handled with the patients PCP/cardiologist.

Just think about it for a second. We get an alert for a patient in A-Fib with their location. We arrive on scene and find this patient who has zero complaints and feels perfectly fine (in some areas that’s not even considered a patient). We record a 12-lead and it comes back A-Fib. What are we going to do with that information? Are we going to provide any actual treatments for this patient? Does this patient really need transport to the ED via an ambulance?

OP
OP
Kavsuvb

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
That really is not an EMS issue to deal with nor should EMS be sent for a new onset A-Fib in someone with no complaints. That is something that should be handled with the patients PCP/cardiologist.

Just think about it for a second. We get an alert for a patient in A-Fib with their location. We arrive on scene and find this patient who has zero complaints and feels perfectly fine (in some areas that’s not even considered a patient). We record a 12-lead and it comes back A-Fib. What are we going to do with that information? Are we going to provide any actual treatments for this patient? Does this patient really need transport to the ED via an ambulance?
I think it could be more of Patient monitoring like VNA's