Canadian PCP/EMT ambulance practicum

xlq771

Forum Probie
I have a few questions for Canadian paramedics.

1. How many calls/responses is ideal for a student on their PCP/EMT (Alberta) ambulance practicum? Fifty? One Hundred?

2. What size of community is best to do a practicum in? I know that the schools have practicum placements available in several communities. I am concerned about being in a community that is too small to have a good call volume.

3. What time of year would be best for a practicum? I am thinking that winter may be best, due to increased calls for MVA's (I hate to sound like a ghoul).

Last edited by a moderator:

Wee-EMT

Forum Lieutenant
I have a few questions for Canadian paramedics.

1. How many calls/responses is ideal for a student on their PCP/EMT (Alberta) ambulance practicum? Fifty? One Hundred?

2. What size of community is best to do a practicum in? I know that the schools have practicum placements available in several communities. I am concerned about being in a community that is too small to have a good call volume.

3. What time of year would be best for a practicum? I am thinking that winter may be best, due to increased calls for MVA's (I hate to sound like a ghoul).

It all depends on what school you go to and where you are placed. Some places do 4 tours (city of calgary), some do one week on one week off 24/7, and some do 2 weeks 24/7 (rural), and many many more. The amount of calls vary where ever you go. As for the time of year, yes winter would be best for calls, but again depends on the school you go to. I had my clinical and OR during the winter and ambulance in spring, and practicums always get cancelled! My ambulance was cancelled twice!:glare:

Hope that helps:)

Last edited by a moderator: