Canadian Paramedics Sentenced in Man’s Shooting Death

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Here are some highlights:

Two Hamilton paramedics found guilty for failing to provide the necessaries of life in the 2017 shooting death of Yosif Al-Hasnawi have been sentenced to 18 months, which will be served in the community.
The ground-breaking case marked the first time paramedics in Canada were found guilty for their part in someone's death as a result of their actions while working. Experts have said it may change how emergency responders do their job in the future.

Al-Hasnawi, often referred to as a Good Samaritan, was shot outside the Al-Mustafa Islamic Centre after trying to intervene as two people accosted an older man. The 19-year-old died of a single gunshot wound.
Arrell found they made numerous mistakes, including not leaving the scene fast enough, going to the wrong hospital, not following protocol for penetrating wounds and lifting him dangerously.

But, he noted in his sentence, medical experts testified during the trial that even if Al-Hasnawi had been shot in the lobby of a trauma hospital and operated on by an vascular surgeon within 15 minutes, he would only have had a 50 per cent chance of survival.

but at least this gives family some justice for Al-Hasnawi's death; In 2019, Dale King was acquitted of second-degree murder in the shooting of Al-Hasnawi.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I'm shocked and disappointed.

This sets a horrible precedent for EMS as a profession.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
This seems way off the mark. How could this rise to the level of criminality? Maybe medical malpractice, maybe a reason to lose a license or something, but not a criminal charge.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
This seems way off the mark. How could this rise to the level of criminality? Maybe medical malpractice, maybe a reason to lose a license or something, but not a criminal charge.
I was hoping some of our Canadian members could explain why to us.

OP
OP
DrParasite

DrParasite

So person who supposedly shot the victim is acquitted and the two medics who failed to save him are convicted, and that is what justice is?
I guess? maybe? I can't find any other reason why they would be convicted, unless canadian laws are much different than the US
I admit, this disturbs me greatly. If anything, this should be a civil suit, I can't see how it's criminal either (but I'm not canadian attorney). Why would anyone in Canada want to be a paramedic if you can go to jail for making a mistake?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
So person who supposedly shot the victim is acquitted and the two medics who failed to save him are convicted, and that is what justice is?
How would the two be related? They weren’t exactly charged the same.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
How would the two be related? They weren’t exactly charged the same.
Exactly my point to the OP comment about the family getting "some justice".

OP
OP
DrParasite

DrParasite

Exactly my point to the OP comment about the family getting "some justice".
my sarcasm wasn't conveyed well online... the family demanded justice, and they didn't care what the decision was, as long as the medics were convicted,esp since the shooter wasn't.

personally, I don't understand the verdict, but maybe it was based on a desire to punish someone, since they couldn't get the shooter?