Can you break someone's ribs with CPR?

paramedichopeful

Forum Lieutenant
Ok, I hate to admit it but I watched one of those medical shows on TV tonight. In it there was a case where somebody died and was autopsied only to find that they had 2 broken ribs. Weird part about it? THERE WAS NO HEMORRHAGING!! In my Aid/CPR/AED class the rule of thumb was that if you have a broken rib, there is going to be hemorrhaging of some sort. Anyway, back to the story, the coroner ruled that the Paramedics broke the ribs when they gave the guy CPR! Is this even possible? I mean, I was always taught to get as good a compression as you can, but come on: breaking ribs? You gotta know where to stop.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

fact is if you dont break at least part of the sternum away from the ribs then your probably not performing effective CPR. It all really depends on the persons body though

Afflixion

Forum Captain
Fracturing ribs is quite normal during CPR. Especially on patients with osteoporosis. When I was going through school the cadre joked that "if you don't break ribs your doing it wrong!" The fact of the matter is pressing directly on the sternum repeatedly and pressing deep enough to get good perfusion ribs may be fractured.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Fracturing ribs is quite normal during CPR. Especially on patients with osteoporosis. When I was going through school the cadre joked that "if you don't break ribs your doing it wrong!" The fact of the matter is pressing directly on the sternum repeatedly and pressing deep enough to get good perfusion ribs may be fractured.

I've heard a lot of older medics state that. And two of the times I've performed CPR, I've felt cracking and popping. The others I've been relieving people on compressions, so they probably did the breaking

mikie

Forum Lurker
...from my first arrest

I've heard a lot of older medics state that. And two of the times I've performed CPR, I've felt cracking and popping. The others I've been relieving people on compressions, so they probably did the breaking

That's a feeling I'll never forget!

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I remember from CPR class (which I took awhile ago) that you can also break the xiphoid process, which can puncture a lung if you do the CPR incorrectly (in other words, doing it too close to the stomach).

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

the reason we do compressions away from the xiphoid process, is the xiphoid process is an anchor point for the diaphragm. You break that and away goes your interthoracic pressure

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
the reason we do compressions away from the xiphoid process, is the xiphoid process is an anchor point for the diaphragm. You break that and away goes your interthoracic pressure

Alright, from someone out of the medical field, here is a dumb question:

Couldn't you also puncture a lung? (Unless that is what you said in more fancy terms ^_^)

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

You mean with compression or with the broken off xiphoid process? Compression sure it can and probably does happen, xiphoid process same i guess if someone was over zealous enough to make it happen

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
You mean with compression or with the broken off xiphoid process? Compression sure it can and probably does happen, xiphoid process same i guess if someone was over zealous enough to make it happen

Yeah, I remember (at least I think I remember correctly) that if you do CPR too low (over the xiphoid process), you can break it off and it could puncture a lung. I was just wondering if this was correct.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Alright, from someone out of the medical field, here is a dumb question:

Couldn't you also puncture a lung? (Unless that is what you said in more fancy terms ^_^)

That hapened when I was in medic school on a ride along. The medics had me do a needle decompression, then later another one on the other side. When we bagged, you would hear it all the way down into the abdomen. It was sick.

OP
OP
paramedichopeful

paramedichopeful

Forum Lieutenant
the first time I did CPR I did hear a slight crack but I didn't think it was from the pt. Well at least now I know I'm getting good compressions

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
That hapened when I was in medic school on a ride along. The medics had me do a needle decompression, then later another one on the other side. When we bagged, you would hear it all the way down into the abdomen. It was sick.

I hop this was on a tauma patient, if not; then you had more problems than I would care to make public. The evidence of bi-lateral tension pnuemothorax in non-traumatic patients is almost never heard of. Myself and some students took care of a patient that Paramedics had performed bi-lateral decompression on a medical call. We researched the incidence and was rarely documented unless the patient had underlying disease process. Enough concern the Paramedic was disciplined and licensed reviewed.

Also if you heard air into the abdomen area, you either did not have the airway opened properly that allow air into the stomach or an esophageal intubation occurred. The other cause would be diaphramatic puncture/tear, again if it was not a trauma patient I would look at some gross negligent concerns.

Majority of the time it is NOT the ribs that break. Remember anatomy, cartilage is what attaches the sterum to the ribs and the bony portion does not begin to almost pre midclavicular.

R/r 911

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
CPR is another example of zealous warnings gaining their own life.

The xyphoid process extends below the diaphragm, more likely to puncture the liver if anything. Ther are rare people born with no detectable xyphoid who are doing just fine, thanks, not to mention people with xyphoids which point stright back into their torsos.
If you are low enough to "snap the xyphoid", then you aren't pumping air. Also, if the xyphoid were to "snap off", it would no longer be propelled forcefully down, would it?

CPR is a patient's last ditch chance at survival. A case can be made that the often cited upswing in MI survival after the inception of CPR training during the Sixties was due to the fact that it raised the consciousness of people to recognize a "code", start rescue breathing, and call the newly adopted "911" to activate the then-newly upgrading emergency response forces, and only marginally to the actual CPR touted widely as the cause for this "miracle".
(How many bystander-initiated CPR's cited as "successes" were really unnecessary, or actually owed their success to oxygenating a deficient cardiac state until rescue arrived versus actually acting as curbside heart-lung machines?).

Last edited by a moderator:

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
The xyphoid process extends below the diaphragm, more likely to puncture the liver if anything. Ther are rare people born with no detectable xyphoid who are doing just fine, thanks, not to mention people with xyphoids which point stright back into their torsos.
If you are low enough to "snap the xyphoid", then you aren't pumping air. Also, if the xyphoid were to "snap off", it would no longer be propelled forcefully down, would it?

Maybe it was the liver that they said it would puncture. I know they said something could be injured. But this was a few years ago, so I just might be remembering it wrong.

Yeah, I remember them saying that CPR over the xiphoid would do more harm than good.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I was taught that most of the time, the cracking and popping that you hear upon doing compressions is the cartilage of the sternum. That being said, when my dad was doing CPR training when I was just a baby, he broke the CPR dummy.... so I suppose its possible.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
This should be old stuff for those that had any CPR training, as it has always been a test question(s) for AHA. Complications of CPR includes and Complications of possible fracture ribs/cartilage include:

If one has improper hand placement or if the patients body cannot withstand the pressure the cartilage will break; simple as that. If one does not have proper hand placement and is to low there is a possibility of breaking off the xiphoid process from body of the sternum. Complications of this is lacerated liver/stomach. I never have seen total separation or the body separated from the manubrium of the sternum.

Breaking of the cartilage(s) is a very common thing, but one should always check and verify hand placement and proper deepness and continue on. As the old saying they can live over cartilage separation but cannot live over the dead heart.

R/r 911

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Weird part about it? THERE WAS NO HEMORRHAGING!! In my Aid/CPR/AED class the rule of thumb was that if you have a broken rib, there is going to be hemorrhaging of some sort.

The majority of times, rib fractures are from blunt trauma (ie fall, MVC, assault) and are not going to produce external hemorrhage. There is a good likely hood of internal hemorrhage... maybe the internal hemorrhage is what you are referring to.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I hop this was on a tauma patient, if not; then you had more problems than I would care to make public. The evidence of bi-lateral tension pnuemothorax in non-traumatic patients is almost never heard of. Myself and some students took care of a patient that Paramedics had performed bi-lateral decompression on a medical call. We researched the incidence and was rarely documented unless the patient had underlying disease process. Enough concern the Paramedic was disciplined and licensed reviewed.

Also if you heard air into the abdomen area, you either did not have the airway opened properly that allow air into the stomach or an esophageal intubation occurred. The other cause would be diaphramatic puncture/tear, again if it was not a trauma patient I would look at some gross negligent concerns.

Majority of the time it is NOT the ribs that break. Remember anatomy, cartilage is what attaches the sterum to the ribs and the bony portion does not begin to almost pre midclavicular.

R/r 911

It wasn't my tube, it was one of my first ride alongs, and I was just doing as instructed by my preceptors. They had me get a line, push epi/atropine, and do the decompressions only. This little old lady who just dropped dead in her bedroom was butchered beyond belief. Probably gross negligence like you said. I ended working with one of them per diem, and made sure I always teched when we were paired up.

I wanted to crawl under the floorboards when the pt's daughter looked in to see what we were doing.