Can I take EMT-B classes then AEMT after?

Monte

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys,

I’m looking into getting into the medical field as a paramedic. I’m going to start taking my EMT-B classes soon. Am I allowed to start taking my Advanced classes after I pass basic and get nationally certified? Or do I need a year or so of experience first before I can take the advance class?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Hey guys,

I’m looking into getting into the medical field as a paramedic. I’m going to start taking my EMT-B classes soon. Am I allowed to start taking my Advanced classes after I pass basic and get nationally certified? Or do I need a year or so of experience first before I can take the advance class?
It’s going to depend on what the local programs in your area require. Some require experience while others do not.

IMPO I would skip AEMT. Just go from EMT to medic. There is really no point in paying for and being an almost medic when you can just become a medic.

rujero

Emergency Services RN, NREMT
Here in Massachusetts We have pretty much phased out AEMT and EMT-I. Reputable programs in the Boston area like Pro Center for Medics WILL take you right out of basic school, but its not recommended by them or anyone else. In my humble opinion, I wouldn't want to be that guy who goes from "zero to hero" without ever working the trigger on a stretcher. For example, if you haven't had time to auscultate the sounds of congestive heart failure in lungs as a basic, and you don't recognize it as a new medic and end up flashing someone's lungs with IV fluid, you're going to have a problem.

-r

twistedMP

Forum Crew Member
Agree with rujero I've had people I know go from zero to hero or their only ems experience being Granny totes taking patients to and from diyalsis without ever getting real experience. My advise is get your basic and work on a truck for a while before going to medic school

Colt45

Forum Lieutenant
Little late to this but I'll add my 2 cents. I took my AEMT about a year ago and currently half way through my paramedic program. Entering the clinical/ ride along phase. I personally liked having a better fundamental knowledge of A&P that I got in my advanced program because paramedic school is like drinking water from a fire hose. With that being said there are a few basics in my class, some are struggling with the class while other seem about par with the rest of us. Just some food for thought. Don't get to ahead of yourself though, take it one step at a time and focus on becoming a good basic to begin with.