Can I make $30k a yr as an EMT-b?

Want2BAFireMedic

Forum Probie
Can I make $30k a yr as an EMT-b in Central FL? I'll be in school part-time, so I cn work full-time. Is $30k too much to expect, or would I be killing myself with waaay too many hours? Can I make $25k?

WhiskeySix5

Forum Crew Member
At $14.00 an hour, on the average rotating shift (4-12's week 1, then 3-12's week 2) you would be looking at about $30k a year pre-tax. Roughly 84 hours every pay period including o.t.

$13.00 = $28k +/-
$12.00 = $26k +/-

You can use those rough figures to give you an idea of where you need to be. I am not sure what the average pay is it that region...

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Every $0.50/hr equals $1040/yr, so round to $1000/yr for every $0.50. For example, with a 40 hour workweek, you'll need to make around $15/hr to see 30k as a base salary.

Many places work a 48 hour or a 56 hour workweek. What you need to do is find their hourly rate. Then, multiply that by 40, then by 52. Next, take 1.5x the hourly rate, multiply that by the number of OT hours, multiply that by 52, then add that to the first sum. For a 56 hour week, you'll need to be making just over $9/hr to gross 30k/yr. For a 48 hour workweek, you'll need to make around $11.75/hr. For a 40 hour week, you'll need $14.50/hr.

No matter whether you're in NYC, anywhere in CA, Virginia, South Carolina, etc, most IFT only privates only pay from $9/hr to 13/hr with tenure, typically for 40 hour weeks. 911 hospital EMS in NY may start you off with $15/hr right away, and you can go up into the 20's/hr after a short time. 911 privates may pay a little better than $12/hr, but probably not much. Many Third Service municipal EMS agencies pay new EMT's in the 20's to around 30k/yr to start if you're lucky.

Don't fall into the flawed line of thinking that you'll only start in the 20's, but that you'll pass 30k in OT from late jobs and a few extra shifts. This way of thinking causes you to accept a lower starting salary, and also be condemned to having to do OT as a matter of necessity. What happens if the company has a policy change, and the OT disappears? Never factor expected OT into your finances. You can do that for a second per diem job in some cases, but not for your primary job.

What do the privates pay EMT-B's in your region?

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
If Sunstar's example is an indicator, you're SOL:

http://www.sunstarems.com/employee-benefits/

They pay $10/hr, and a whopping $1/hr bump if you have five years of EMT experience.

$15.40 for a five year medic? WTF? That might be okay if it's a 56 hour workweek, maybe.

Trezmaniandevil

Forum Probie
Will they pay for your paramedic training?

The easiest way to make $30K is to move up the ladder. I never had to pay for a step increase. Everywhere I worked they paid for the next level of training. make sure when you consider the benefits see about stepping up the ladder. It maybe a year of struggling but you can jump up pretty quick.