Can EMT-B work as ER tech?

Hansen2010

Forum Ride Along
Hi everyone,
I have what might be a dumb question. Can I (a recently nationally registered EMT B) work as an ER tech? Or do I need to get some kind of certification as a tech? I did my clinical time as for my EMT course in an ER shadowing a tech but we were busy and I didnt get much of a chance to pick her brain I've read on other posts that some techs might require a phlebotomy license? Is there anything else?

Thanks for any info
-Joe

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Generally, yes. However, it's dependent on each hospital.

Some hospitals will ONLY let Paramedics work as techs. Some will let EMTs, Paramedics, CNAs, MAs, LVNs, etc etc.

Best thing to do is ask the prospective hospitals.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Hi everyone,
I have what might be a dumb question. Can I (a recently nationally registered EMT B) work as an ER tech? Or do I need to get some kind of certification as a tech? I did my clinical time as for my EMT course in an ER shadowing a tech but we were busy and I didnt get much of a chance to pick her brain I've read on other posts that some techs might require a phlebotomy license? Is there anything else?

Thanks for any info
-Joe

Depending where you are at you may need some extra stuff. You might need to volunteer for a few months before they'll let you in.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Have to be a medic with ALS street time here.

FourLoko

Forum Lieutenant
Around here they usually want at least 6 months experience (pretty sure ambulance work is OK). Some (most) will then require an EKG cert and the more picky will also require phlebotomy cert.

Nothing is easy these days

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Back in the town I did my EMS education, they would hire EMTB's, but they required at least 1 year experience (in the hospital or on the ambulance).

OP
OP
H

Hansen2010

Forum Ride Along
What about volunteering in an ER shadowing a tech? Any tips on that? Is that as hard to get into as an actual job? Right now I'm pretty much willing to do whatever it takes to get SOME experience. I don't want what I learned to go to waste.

jnsangel33

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for asking this question. It helped me, as well. I am currently in school (only 9 weeks left to go) and have been trying to figure out what avenues I can take when I get out. Something I should probably try to decide pretty quickly. One of my top choices is to be an ER tech.......

Good luck to you!!! :cool:

Trauma_Junkie

No rest for the wicked...
The university hospital in my area requires SRNA to be an ED Tech as with most hospitals in the area. However, there is one hospital that prefers EMTs as ED techs and trains them in additional skills when they are hired. So it really just depends on the specific hospital. As others have said: just ask.

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain
I actually said "one of my top choices" and until I got into EMT school, I had NO idea there were so many options.

To be realistic, in CA you need more than an EMT cert to be an ER tech. And nobody will hire a green emt right out of school in an ER. Try getting on with an IFT company and rack up some experience first then I'd go for your Venipuncture stuff.

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
here at my hospital , i just hired as an ER tech, im a -b, but i also have field experience~ so that may have been in my favor.

street_shark

Forum Probie
i believe it would be very difficult to get on as a tech right off the bat. of course, there are many variables (such as where you live, what the hospital requires, their certs, requirements, etc.) however, I work as a tech, an emt-b, and because my hospital is a teaching hospital, i train basics and paramedics and can tell you that even with all those variables, the one common factor is EXPERIENCE. get hired on to a private ambulance company, or voluntary at a station, anything that gets you through those automatic double doors. the more u speak and get to know staff at the hospital, the easier itll be to work as a tech if that is your primary goal.

also, one of the greatest things that i love about our profession (ems) is that skys the limit. the longer your in it, the more doors open. ull want to be a tech now, but later might want to be part of a trauma team, or med flight, or rapid assessment team, etc.

Zipperelli

Forum Probie
Here in FL (at least where I'm at) they only allow medics to work as techs. However they really want to see exp. before they hire you.