Can a trespassing ticket cause a certification revoke?

Kuhnz350

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone, I've been curious about this question for awhile now and figure after recently finding this forum I'd ask.

For many years now back to before I was an EMT I did photography as a hobby. While some of my normal subjects were landscapes and cars at car shows, my third, inherently more risky subject was photography of abandoned buildings and structures. I've always had a fascination with abandoned buildings and enjoyed exploring them and seeing what kind of interesting pictures I could take to get an idea of what the structure was like before it shut down. I've taken some great pictures along the way and have seen some amazing things. This hobby which has increased in popularity has become known as Urban Exploration. And before it is said, I'm well aware of the physical dangers and every situation that could arise in these derelict structures. I take precautions whenever possible. I also never go while intoxicated. And never break into or otherwise damage the structures. Only stated this because I know many news stories of taggers, copper thieves, arsonists, kids breaking in to get high, hanging from cranes with one hand, etc and want to separate myself from being classified like these people. But I digress.

I live in Pennsylvania and have hold an EMT-B cert for 3 years (no national registry as I got my certification before it was integrated). I run for a 911 only company on an ALS truck with a paramedic partner. And it's honestly one of the best stations I've worked for. Needless to say, when I'm out exploring and taking pictures it constantly crosses my mind that a police car is going to roll up and see we aren't supposed to be there. I haven't been exploring that much for that exact reason. Typically from what I've heard, being caught in an abandoned building with nothing more than photography equipment and yourself typically results in either a warning to leave, or a citation for trespassing. This can get bumped up if caught with spray paint, B&E equipment, drugs, stolen goods, etc. but for the most part simply looking around is a ticket at most.

Let me say I have not received any citations, this is simply a hypothetical out of curiosity question. But if I would ever be exploring, get caught, and get cited for trespassing, what is the likely hood I would be terminated from my position and have my certification revoked. I know more serious crimes such as assault, DUI, child molestation, and drugs cause certs to be revoked, but have any of you ever heard about trespassing causing revocation?

I know most, if any, of you are not lawyers but from what I've seen everyone together here has a large amount of experience to give so I want to know if any stories or cases of this were ever heard since if it is a significant risk I may have to hang up my exploring boots for good. Thanks everyone.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Typically from what I've heard, being caught in an abandoned building with nothing more than photography equipment and yourself typically results in either a warning to leave, or a citation for trespassing. This can get bumped up if caught with spray paint, B&E equipment, drugs, stolen goods, etc. but for the most part simply looking around is a ticket at most.
It all depends on what officer it is. Theoretically, they can get you for a few things. I will answer for NYS only because that is were I am able to claim "professional" status, however unofficially PA has similar laws. Criminal mischief in the fourth degree would be the charge that would hold the most weight. in NYS that is 145.00 of NYS penal law. Depending on the level of "warning do not enter signs" present, possible criminal trespassing 2/3, (penal law 140.10 if im not mistaken :eek:). Since you explicitly said you don't break in that throws burglary off the table(mostly), a little heads up is to make sure it hasn't previously been burglarized, or in a state where it is even possible to think that you did it. all of these are misdemeanors, most likely more effort then a LEO would be willing to put in, although i've never worked outside of a city, so idk if people just get that bored(those horror stories of 3mph speeding tickets ect). however, those are very real and possible charges, while I wouldn't go through the effort to actually file them, i'm sure I could get them to stick in court.
Edit: hopefully this helped?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
1) I believe its against the rules to ask legal advice here. for legal advice, consult an attorney
2) Each state is different. If you want to know what can get your PA EMT yanked, best to contact the PA Dept of Health EMS department
3) if your hobby is risky, then you know there are risk, and they can cause you to have issues in the future. it's your choice as to whether you want to take the risks and potentially jeopardize your career.
4) most LEOs I know would tell you to go home, and don't come back, maybe even yell at you for a few minutes and give you a lot of stern glances. You're not hurting anyone (or yourself), you didn't break anything, but you were where you weren't supposed to be. Leave the area if you are asked to, and they will be on their way. they might ask for ID to see if you have an warrants, but that's about it. Now if your constantly in places you shouldn't be, and the same cop kicks you out of the do not enter building, I can see it escalating. But otherwise, nothing to worry about. But see #s 1 & 2 first.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
What Dr. P said. Most cops are going to tell you to GTFO and that will be that. Now if you start running into the same officer you're going to probably end up with some sort of ticket. A low level misdemeanor shouldn't effect your certification, however if they decide to charge you with something other than simple trespassing, like burglary or criminal mischief you could end up in hot water with your state's OEMS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
Here's an idea: contact the owner and obtain permission. Literally millions of people do it every year to go hunting in the US. It's not that hard. Any resulting harm to your good standing with your state EMS agency is not a result of "bad luck" or "the system", it would be the result of your own lack of preparation and awareness. Two skills, I might add, that are crucial to being a good EMS provider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk