Campus or Online?

cglaspel

Forum Ride Along
Hello all,

First time poster here, Just curious I have a job offer from a local ambbulance company. Only catch is I need to get my EMT-B first. Now my question is, are there any online EMT certs that are credible?? I see tons but I dont know if any of them are credible for OHIO. All the campus classes near here are either 1-2 year degrees or they have already started and I would have to wait until August to get into them. If you guys/gals know of anywhere I can go online or in northeast Ohio that are 6 month or less classes let me know please. Also let me know of any experiences anyone has had with the online classes.

Thanks in advance!

Clay.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
You were offered an EMT job and you're not even an EMT? Interesting....

As for my thoughts on online classes for EMS... I just don't see how you can get the full experience or knowledge from an online class. There's just something about the interaction with an experienced instructor, listening to questions from other students and getting to play touchy-feelly with equipment.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Hello all,

First time poster here, Just curious I have a job offer from a local ambbulance company. Only catch is I need to get my EMT-B first. Now my question is, are there any online EMT certs that are credible?? I see tons but I dont know if any of them are credible for OHIO. All the campus classes near here are either 1-2 year degrees or they have already started and I would have to wait until August to get into them. If you guys/gals know of anywhere I can go online or in northeast Ohio that are 6 month or less classes let me know please. Also let me know of any experiences anyone has had with the online classes.

Thanks in advance!

Clay.

Have you tried Cleveland Clinic EMS Academy?

They run basic classes that are not degree based.

OP
OP
C

cglaspel

Forum Ride Along
You were offered an EMT job and you're not even an EMT? Interesting....

As for my thoughts on online classes for EMS... I just don't see how you can get the full experience or knowledge from an online class. There's just something about the interaction with an experienced instructor, listening to questions from other students and getting to play touchy-feelly with equipment.

Should probably explain, I know the people who own the company and they told me if I got certified they would hire me. That's how I was offered a job. Also I was really wanting to join an actual campus based" class. They have just all started already and don't start a new class until August. I have a good amount of Combat Life Saving skills from the Army, along with basic/advanced first aid and cpr etc etc etc. That's another reason why I was offered a job, as well as why I was debating online courses.

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Class all the way man!

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
...I know the people who own the company and they told me if I got certified they would hire me...

Big reason why I am going back to school and moving out of this field. Sounds like my county: "who ya know or who ya blow"...

DHFD402

Forum Ride Along
I'm not sure why there are 1-2 year programs for EMT-B, but if you are not currently trained in any sort of pre-hospital care, you should not take it online. Granted, in this economy, you have to do what you have to do for a job, and online classes for EMT-B are available. A lot of people that are EMTs and trying to get EMT-I take those online, but they already have knowledge of pre-hospital care. When it comes to getting a job, do whatever it takes.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Big reason why I am going back to school and moving out of this field. Sounds like my county: "who ya know or who ya blow"...

Networking is important in every field. In fact, the ability to network is the best reason to go to EMS conferences. If you think that just because you're going to another field or higher up the food chain that it lessens the need to network and use contacts, then you're going to be in for a big disappointment.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Don't take short cuts.

Don't do your patients a disservice by cutting corners. Do it right or don't do it at all. Thank you for your service in the military but with all respect intended CLS has little to no merit in civilian EMS.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoCalEMS

Forum Probie
Even though it sets you back some time DEFINITELY take it on campus. JPINFV has a point networking is key especially in this field

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Networking is important in every field. In fact, the ability to network is the best reason to go to EMS conferences. If you think that just because you're going to another field or higher up the food chain that it lessens the need to network and use contacts, then you're going to be in for a big disappointment.

Sorry. Little bitter. Have been dealing with the "good ol' boys" in my county for years. Things like delaying employment testing when they are unable to staff enough unit so that a family member can pass her EMT and test. Hiring 18 y/o family members with shiny new cards and not the EMT's and Medics with years of experience and degrees. Hiring friends with histories of DUI and not showing for work because of hangovers. ETC... In the local Ambulance Service won't accept resumes and does not advertise hiring... testing and interviews are pointless, they go solely on "who knows who or who is sleeping with who" and not on merit. I know several very experienced folks that can't get on with the only county service because they are not related to Supervisors or didn't grow up with every other Medic. Same goes for Fire, and (from time to time) SAR. Appointing people to positions they are incapable of doing because they are friends, etc. May be a reality of life, but it is really bad around here and I don't have to like it. I believe in hard work, education, experience, and merit. Networking is fine, but that should be a way to advertise yourself and your value to others. "I was offered a ob as an EMT... now how do I become one" is a problem for me. Nothing to do with the OP; good for him. Just a source of frustration locally.

Last edited by a moderator: