Calling the arrest / talking to family.

Sublime

LP, RN
If you're working an arrest that goes the full twenty minutes without any signs of ROSC do you take the families wishes into consideration about what happens next?

Do you just call the code and tell the family there is nothing more to do and inform them someone will come to pick up the body?

Do you discuss with the family the options of being transported vs. calling it on scene? If so share your approach to doing this.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I call it on scene and explain to the family why. I try to have somebody keeping them informed throughout the code if possible. I've yet to have any family members voice opposition.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Same as above. We don't ever leave the family alone with the body either. We'll fill out the proper paperwork, help the family with whatever they need, and wait on scene with them until LE arrives. At that point, the officer will stay with the family until the funeral home or medical examiner arrives.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I try to soften the blow if we're working a code that doesn't look like it's going to end with ROSC. I'll talk to the family a few times during the code... Then as Chaz mentioned, we stay on scene til we turn it over to LE.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
The medic will usually try to keep the family apprised of how well resuscitative efforts are going. If things aren't looking promising we will absolutely take the family's wishes into account. We will not leave the family one with the body, but we will clear the scene if volunteer fire department is willing to remain on scene while waiting for a deputy. One of our fire districts is in a different county and deputies are usually coming from 45 minutes away so it's not always practical to keep one of our three ambulances on scene for that especially since it seems like one of the FFs usually is a friend of the family or nearby resident.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Advise family of what is going on during the resuscitation so they know you/we are doing everything we are trained to do. Once I terminate efforts I seek out the parent/spouse to tell them there loved one has died. Do not use euphemisms. Use dead, died, has died. Once that has occurred I immediately switch to social worker roll and offer to assist in contacting clergy, other family members, funeral home or anyone else they would like to come sit by their side.

Just remember your call is not over at that point and every other person that was present during the resus is now a potential patient that includes responders. I have given many family members post resus Valium when I feel it is needed.

Our care and compassion is mostly hidden from outsiders because of our robotic movements during a resus, but it will show once you begin to treat the human condition of grief and despair.

Treat every scene the way you would want someone else to treat your family and you will never regret or second guess yourself in times like these.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
Work it on scene, if there is not a chance of ROSC I call for medical command to call it on scene. this of course after all efforts have proven futile.

Why give extra hope that theres a chance things will change when they get to the ER.

Just be honest with the patients family and explain in the best way you can be empathetic.

Also assist making arrangements for the family calling funeral director or coroner we never leave the scene until one of the two arrive. and I always cover the deceased with a sheet until the coroner arrives.