Call Sheet Documentation After A Call

Mike Mathers

Forum Ride Along
Hello. The agency I started working for about to weeks ago is paper call sheets. We have a call sheet then rip off a carbon-copy from underneath giving the report to the hospital nurses. My partner who was responsible for the call sheet left some components missing from the call sheet. I understand as a crew it is both of our responsibilities to make sure everything is complete. My question is that is it okay to alter the call sheet after already giving the carbon-copy to the nurses at the hospital? For example, can I add on the the narrative, etc.?
I will be asking my supervisor tomorrow just wanted to get some input from the community.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Typically it depends on your county/ regions protocols regarding documentation, as well as your services. So yes, in this case your supervisor is probably your best bet for confirmation.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Typically you can add onto a call sheet by noting something like "Addendum added (date) (time): Whatever you need to add. -yourSignature." Of course, that would be without the quotation marks.... The reason this is done is to show that something was added to the call sheet after it was turned in to someone. Often if you turned an incomplete call sheet into an ED, you would later usually complete the sheet, with an appropriate notation that it was amended/added on to, and faxed to them.

Check with your supervisor and your local EMS Policy/Procedure manual as that will have some (usually) hard deadlines about this kind of stuff. Do not let this get away from you as this can later bite you and/or your company badly.