Call-Offs

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Are call-offs part of working EMS?

Every morning I'll get a page with 5-10+ open shifts for the day or next few days. These are people that will call off but can't find a replacement.

Is this the norm? I'm trying to build an argument why Private EMS should be considered professionals, and this whole scheduling thing is standing in my way. As a teacher you're allowed to have X amount of sick days. After that many school districts will make you pay for your sub's pay for the day.

Is this just a private EMS thing? Is it the norm?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Yeah, that happens a lot. That's one of the reasons why I didn't go for my EMT license. My time off is my time off. And when it's time to work, I work. I want to enjoy my time off. I don't want to have to worry about being called back in to cover someone who doesn't want to work. And, then only getting 10 or 12/hr to do it.

Oh, and you think Private EMS is bad? Try Private Security. The only thing that keeps security officers coming in is the fact that they only get paid 8 or 9/hr so they really don't have any money for their time off. But at the same time, if they call off of a shift they're really only missing 60 or so dollars.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
I love OT. Ya know we don't do it for the money anyway.?.?.?. But we gotta make some money, that's where OT comes in handy. Plus it is doing something I love, so I'd take several shifts at once. Just means more street time and more cash to pay for all those bills. :p

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Call offs are VERY common, but it isn't limited to EMS. At my Security job... I will daily get a call for an open shift that morning, or get called at 10p for a 3rd shift opening.

I'm convinced it is that many in the field our coworkers are treated like sh*t by management, and see no problem in calling off, "why should I be nice and work when they are mean to me. I want to go fishing today." Too often, though, the other workers are the ones you are "sticking it to" not the bosses. When was the last time the boss got in a uniform and took a run??? When was the last time you were run all day because they were short a crew or two, or didn't get off on time because your relief called off???

When we, as a group, act like professionals, we will be treated as professionals.

Jon