California State EMT License?

anonymoose

Forum Ride Along
I'm a newly registered EMT in California, and am applying to find a job right now. One of the documents required is the "California State EMT License". I'm not sure what this is though - I passed both National Registry tests and got my national cert, then I applied for and got my county certification. I know that I am fully certified and when I look myself up on emsa.ca.gov my name and license number show up. But nowhere along the way did I ever get any kind of "state certification", only local and national.

Most of the job apps I've been filling out ask for my local and state certs but not national, so I'm thinking when they're asking for the state cert maybe they are actually talking about the national one? Any help would be very appreciated.

ITBITB13

Forum Lieutenant
State certification is your county certification it’s usually grey and the id number starts with an E. Commonly referred to as your “E “ number

OP
OP
A

anonymoose

Forum Ride Along
State certification is your county certification it’s usually grey and the id number starts with an E. Commonly referred to as your “E “ number

That's what I initially thought, but they already asked for my county cert separately. Here's what it says on the email:

1. Copy front and back of your California State EMT License
  2. Copy front and back of your EMT certificate (County of San Diego)
So if that was the case, aren't they just basically asking for the same thing twice?

ITBITB13

Forum Lieutenant
That's what I initially thought, but they already asked for my county cert separately. Here's what it says on the email:

1. Copy front and back of your California State EMT License
  2. Copy front and back of your EMT certificate (County of San Diego)
So if that was the case, aren't they just basically asking for the same thing twice?

I’m not familiar with SD County. They may require a separate SD Certificate, Similar to LA’s expanded scope. I’m sure a simple google search can find you an answer.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
You should have a gray card that was sent to you by the state of CA that has your name, EMT Cert number and expiration date. Some counties will also issue you a county card.

spaceasian

Forum Ride Along
The CA card is the grey wallet sized one. In Santa Clara County, they still ask for a county cert. but we've phased that out and have SCC badges that we get once we actually have a job. Not sure if that's the case in SD.

When I worked in SD County, I had both the grey state EMT card, and a separately issued SD County card.