California Red Light Laws

uscgk9

Forum Crew Member
Hello,

Can someone from California tell me the red light laws for the state. I am considering a transfer to the Lake Tahoe area and would like to know if I need to sell my stuff before I go.

Thanks,

Mark S.
NREMT-P

MattCA

Forum Crew Member
I believe you have to stop at every red light, look both ways, than proceed. If thats what you're wondering. lol thats probably not what your talking about though huh?

OP
OP
uscgk9

uscgk9

Forum Crew Member
No that was not what I was looking for. I am refering to Flashing Red Lights like the ones I have in my grill. Does that make better sense?

Thanks,

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
im sure the brainchild of larry page and sergey brin will lead you to the information that you seek.

ive already given away my free research for the day....

NJN

The Young One
As I understand it, in the State of California no POV is allowed to have emergency lights other than the four lights equipped upon original purchase of said vehicle, also known as turn signals.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
As I understand it, in the State of California no POV is allowed to have emergency lights other than the four lights equipped upon original purchase of said vehicle, also known as turn signals.

Good for them! Keep emergency lights on emergency vehicles where they belong!

R/r 911

EMT007

Forum Lieutenant

Thats correct - only authorized emergency vehicles may display emergency lighting and sound a siren - no POVs. Definitely remove them before entering the state. I doubt there is a prohibition on possession, but it could certainly be problematic if you get pulled over for anything.

To be exempt from certain vehicle code sections, an emergency vehicle in CA must display a single forward facing steady red light and sound a siren "as reasonably necessary". Blue lights are reserved for law enforcement, so fire/ems gets red/amber/white only.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Oh, and, they wouldn't do you much good anyway. As far as I know the few volunteer EMS agencies out here don't allow you to respond in your POV anyway (most likely because you aren't allowed the lights)

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Lake Tahoe complicates matters in that half of the area is in the state of Nevada, where different laws apply. In california, (Tahoe city and South lake city are both located on the cali side) it is illegal to equip your vehicle with flashing or steady burning red or blue lights, unless you are an authorized emergency vehicle. (POVs in california are unable to register as such because of a legislative policy which states that only official ambulances, police, and fire vehicles may be emergency vehicles, and the commissioner of CHP cannot even bend this rule). Check the CVC on DMVs website for more information.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Tahoe is full of bottlenecks, tourists, rough offroad, and snow...

Forget the POV response even if legal, use the company ride. Unless maybe you buy a hydrofoil.;)
Good luck!

KempoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
as far as I've ever seen the are no POV's with any additional lights on them. I am here in the at bay area. I have seen undercover police with additional lights but never any EMS. Which I think is kinda stupid.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
as far as I've ever seen the are no POV's with any additional lights on them. I am here in the at bay area. I have seen undercover police with additional lights but never any EMS. Which I think is kinda stupid.

just to clarify, you think that ems personnel having lights is stupid or them not being allowed to have lights is stupid?

just trying to figure out what tribe you belong to.

EMT007

Forum Lieutenant

But those undercover police cars are owned by the police department and are used in the course of the police officer's duty (i.e. detectives usually like the unmarked cars so they're more discreet, etc.). Such cars have a place in police work - not in EMS.

KempoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
just to clarify, you think that ems personnel having lights is stupid or them not being allowed to have lights is stupid?

just trying to figure out what tribe you belong to.

I think its stupid that EMS can't use their pov to get too scene.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief

KempoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
thats what i was afraid of......

I'm not saying they should drive pov's to a scene. But if your in a volunteer squad I think you should be able to get to the station faster so they can respond faster.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I'm not saying they should drive pov's to a scene. But if your in a volunteer squad I think you should be able to get to the station faster so they can respond faster.

you should respond from the station and forget coming from home.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
alright, the way i see it is we have two choices here. one, let this go now and live to post another day or restart the second most likely discussion to end is a big fight for the.....fourth time this summer???

theres a whole mess of threads(well, it might be down to one what with the serial merger on the loose) on lights and povs. the original question has been answered. lets call it a day, huh guys?

KempoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Agreed. I'm new to the ems game.