California New Minimum Wage

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Just curious to see what if anything companies have been saying or doing for employees that have been with say a company for 5 or more years making $11 an hour and the new minimum wage going to $10. This as well for the people currently making $10 an hour or .50 cents over. What's going to happen? Mass quitting?

Imacho

Forum Lieutenant
Nope. They'll all bend over and take it. There's going to thousands of applicants that'll be happy to work for less than that current employee. So companies won't mind the more expensive employee quitting. Ca is way too over saturated. Get out and move to a better system.

OP
OP
gonefishing

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Nope. They'll all bend over and take it. There's going to thousands of applicants that'll be happy to work for less than that current employee. So companies won't mind the more expensive employee quitting. Ca is way too over saturated. Get out and move to a better system.
LOL I make more. Our "saturated" system doesn't exsist anymore. In fact now you're seeing companies begging for employees and orientation classes with up to 4 people in them at larger services.

MS Medic

Forum Captain
Is this $10/hr pay for Basics or medics? And are you talking about 12 or 24 hour trucks?

OP
OP
gonefishing

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Is this $10/hr pay for Basics or medics? And are you talking about 12 or 24 hour trucks?
Alot of places are paying less than $10 and thats for basics on any 24 or 12. Medics in alot of places are seeing $12 to $14 an hour.

MS Medic

Forum Captain
Jezz, that's horrible.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
And so it begins....

onrope

Forum Crew Member
Mass quitting? Doubtful, the people who get screwed are those with seniority and medics unless the company is on a sliding pay scale that automatically adjusts. If your new emts are getting a dollar an hour raise it would reason everyone else needs a raise. I have heard there is now a massive shortage of EMT and medic applicants even in socal. AMR victorville is offering a 2k sign on bonus for medics, friends that work at Care state they get a referral bonus and they are running orientations every two weeks just trying to keep up. The reality is the economy has improved and people have a lot more options than making minimum to get treated like crap on an ambulance and worked into the ground to make the stockholders richer and get the ops managers their bonuses. I think part of it also has to do with the word about firefighter jobs getting out. Even though there is a lot of hiring going on now there was 5 years where no one hired and you were literally playing the lottery hoping to get a full time FF job in socal. People are tired of spending 4-5 years of their life going to the academy, emt school, private ambulance, paramedic school, all on their own dime only to have the privilege of being able to apply for entry level FF jobs :rolleyes:

OP
OP
gonefishing

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Mass quitting? Doubtful, the people who get screwed are those with seniority and medics unless the company is on a sliding pay scale that automatically adjusts. If your new emts are getting a dollar an hour raise it would reason everyone else needs a raise. I have heard there is now a massive shortage of EMT and medic applicants even in socal. AMR victorville is offering a 2k sign on bonus for medics, friends that work at Care state they get a referral bonus and they are running orientations every two weeks just trying to keep up. The reality is the economy has improved and people have a lot more options than making minimum to get treated like crap on an ambulance and worked into the ground to make the stockholders richer and get the ops managers their bonuses. I think part of it also has to do with the word about firefighter jobs getting out. Even though there is a lot of hiring going on now there was 5 years where no one hired and you were literally playing the lottery hoping to get a full time FF job in socal. People are tired of spending 4-5 years of their life going to the academy, emt school, private ambulance, paramedic school, all on their own dime only to have the privilege of being able to apply for entry level FF jobs :rolleyes:
Thats my point. State minimum is going to be $10 an hour and I beleive $11 in July.