California Lapsed Certification question

Dubbers

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum hoping to get some clarification on how I can recertify. So, my California license expired on 3/31/2015 and I have until 3/31/2017 to recertify. I know that I need 24 hours of a refresher course, additional 24 CEs, pass NREMT, and skills test to recertify. I am planning on working in Fresno County and on their policy it states you can take a 24 hour refresher or 24 hours of CE to recertify. Does anyone know if I can just take 48 hours of CEs online (if half are instructor based) and pass a skills test separately? I dont live near any refresher courses so I'm trying to make it a little easier. Also, in the past year I've take some community college courses (Anatomy, physiology, psych, sociology) can I count these toward the additional CEs?

In the past four days Ive contacted about 10 different people who've given me different answers so any clarity is much appreciated! Thanks!

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
24 hour refresher OR 24 hours of CE to recertify

When in doubt contact (call) your EMS agency.

I think you answered your question in your post. While I don't know Fresno Co. here in Riverside Co. its either/or. I just recerted with 24 hours with CE's. However, since your cert has lapsed >6 months you may have to do more than CE's or a refresher. This is the REMS (Riverside co) policy on recerting with a lapsed cert:

1.5.2 Applicant with an EMT certification expired six months or more, but less than 12 months:

1.5.2.1 Successful completion of 36 hours* of approved EMS continuing education (CE).
An EMT Refresher course from an approved EMT training program may substitute for an equivalent amount of CE credits.

1.5.2.2 Submission of an original Skills Competency Verification (SCV) form, EMSA-SCV (08/10), completed by an approved verifier in accordance with Policy #1302, Skills Competency Verification.

1.5.3 Applicant with an EMT certification expired 12 months or more, but less than 24 months:

1.5.3.1 Successful completion of 48 hours* of approved EMS continuing education (CE). An EMT Refresher course from an approved EMT training program may substitute for an equivalent amount of CE credits. (see 6.3.2.1 below)

1.5.3.2 Certificate from the National Registry of EMTs (NREMT) showing successful completion of the written and skills examinations for EMT after completion of the above course. The written exam must have been passed within the prior 24 months.
page2image24024
page2image24184

In order to sit their written exam, the NREMT requires successful completion of
  • An approved EMT Refresher course.

• The NREMT skills examination must have been accomplished less
    than one year prior to the written test date. (Note: The NREMT skills exam is not SCV)

OP
OP
D

Dubbers

Forum Ride Along
When in doubt contact (call) your EMS agency.

I think you answered your question in your post. While I don't know Fresno Co. here in Riverside Co. its either/or. I just recerted with 24 hours with CE's. However, since your cert has lapsed >6 months you may have to do more than CE's or a refresher. This is the REMS (Riverside co) policy on recerting with a lapsed cert:

1.5.2 Applicant with an EMT certification expired six months or more, but less than 12 months:

1.5.2.1 Successful completion of 36 hours* of approved EMS continuing education (CE).
An EMT Refresher course from an approved EMT training program may substitute for an equivalent amount of CE credits.

1.5.2.2 Submission of an original Skills Competency Verification (SCV) form, EMSA-SCV (08/10), completed by an approved verifier in accordance with Policy #1302, Skills Competency Verification.

1.5.3 Applicant with an EMT certification expired 12 months or more, but less than 24 months:

1.5.3.1 Successful completion of 48 hours* of approved EMS continuing education (CE). An EMT Refresher course from an approved EMT training program may substitute for an equivalent amount of CE credits. (see 6.3.2.1 below)

1.5.3.2 Certificate from the National Registry of EMTs (NREMT) showing successful completion of the written and skills examinations for EMT after completion of the above course. The written exam must have been passed within the prior 24 months.
page2image24024
page2image24184

In order to sit their written exam, the NREMT requires successful completion of
  • An approved EMT Refresher course.

• The NREMT skills examination must have been accomplished less
    than one year prior to the written test date. (Note: The NREMT skills exam is not SCV)

Thank you for the information. I didn't even think about the requirements for the NREMT. So I guess I'm stuck taking a traditional refresher and an additional 24 CE. Also, I would need an additional skills exam to sit for the NREMT that is different than the one provided through a refresher course?

CALEMT

What would be best for you is to call your EMS agency and ask them directly.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Kind of a thread hijack, but what's Fresno like?

CALEMT

The hell with Fresno and Bakersfield. Oildale is where its at Rocket.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
The hell with Fresno and Bakersfield. Oildale is where its at Rocket.
Oildale is pretty much in Bakersfield. It's just an unincorporated (see: KCFD/ KCSO) area. And they're all relative as far as I'm concerned...Central Cali.

CALEMT

Oildale is pretty much in Bakersfield. It's just an unincorporated (see: KCFD/ KCSO) area. And they're all relative as far as I'm concerned...Central Cali.

I was regarding Oildale in the sense of its high class living. In all seriousness though, the Central valley is like nothing else in CA. Mostly farm land from pretty much Kern Co at the bottom of the grapevine to Madera/Merced county.