CAAS and Medicare

JPINFV

Gadfly
A new topic regarding ambulances and JCAHO brought a question to mind. Would EMS be better served if Medicare would only pay to CAAS accredited services similar to how hospitals have to have JCAHO or AOA accreditation to receive medicare payments?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Be nice, but seeing how ineffective JCAHO is it would only be hopeful thinking. Many believe JCAHO has one set standard, which is false. It is based upon the number of beds and the community you serve, that the standards drastically change.

Personally, I like the idea of a monitoring system to ensure some quality control and forces both sides to participate and actively do their job.

R/r 911

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Personally, I like the idea of a monitoring system to ensure some quality control and forces both sides to participate and actively do their job.

R/r 911

However, I do know of some hospitals that were subpar and blew their inspections. Heads did roll and changes were made before their "make-up" test.

BTW, you can check out inspection results for the hospitals online at the Joint Commission website. JCAHO at least can sometimes keep Medicare from doing their own inspection at a hospital. No hospital wants Medicare to appear at their facility.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
However, I do know of some hospitals that were subpar and blew their inspections. Heads did roll and changes were made before their "make-up" test.

BTW, you can check out inspection results for the hospitals online at the Joint Commission website. JCAHO at least can sometimes keep Medicare from doing their own inspection at a hospital. No hospital wants Medicare to appear at their facility.

You can also get partial accreditation by the joint commission. Which really hurts the hospital's PR and image. That would be all over local and regional news.

I think it would definitely help move EMS in the right place. Hopefully it can boost medicare/medicaid reimbursements. However it needs to be done correctly. There is no way that CMS could come out and do big time surveys like they do. It would halt companies completely and probably change day to day procedures greatly for the couple of days when they are there.

OP
OP
JPINFV

JPINFV

Gadfly
I know one off the top of my head that blew it's make up, was taken over by another hospital, and promptly blew the recheck.