CAAS Accreditation

Alaa

Forum Ride Along
I am having my internship in one of the EMS agencies that's working on getting the CAAS Accreditation. I would say i am a project/task manager to get accredited. Since i am new and don't know the best steps that should be taken to get the CAAS Accreditation, i would need some advices or best ways to get the CAAS from those who have any idea about it or have dealt with the CAAS standards. Thanks in advance!!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Being in internship means you shouldn't have to do anything special. We are CAAS accredited but the majority of the requirements are at the supervisor/management level.

OP
OP
A

Alaa

Forum Ride Along
Being in internship means you shouldn't have to do anything special. We are CAAS accredited but the majority of the requirements are at the supervisor/management level.

I know what you are saying.. I am an EHS-Management major and dealing with this case will help me gain many things, that's why i want to work on it. May i ask you what methods your agency used to get accredited?? (i am currently making tasks calendar))

VentMonkey

Family Guy
This, OP. As an intern/ student/ trainee this isn't your responsibility, unless you're insinuating that you're in some sort of management internship, in which case you should be well prepared with the steps necessary to become CAAS accredited.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I know what you are saying.. I am an EHS-Management major and dealing with this case will help me gain many things, that's why i want to work on it. May i ask you what methods your agency used to get accredited?? (i am currently making tasks calendar))
So are you doing this for your employer, or for coursework in an emergency management course as a student? You need to clarify before we can offer any insight or help.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
No clue at all. All I know is that we had to start recording the temps in the ambulance at the start and end of the shift. Other wise it was "hey guys, these guys may come around from CAAS. If they ask you questions then please answer them".

OP
OP
A

Alaa

Forum Ride Along
So are you doing this for your employer, or for coursework in an emergency management course as a student? You need to clarify before we can offer any insight or help.

No, i am doing it for my degree in school + to have it in my resume

OP
OP
A

Alaa

Forum Ride Along
No clue at all. All I know is that we had to start recording the temps in the ambulance at the start and end of the shift. Other wise it was "hey guys, these guys may come around from CAAS. If they ask you questions then please answer them".

Got ya.. that's because you are a paramedic i believe!! so you didn't deal with managerial issues etc.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I know what does CAAS mean and why is it important.. the thing i need is the best "Real-life" methods to accomplish it. Thanks for the link anyway
You're not getting homework answers on here. I am in a similar EMS management course to see if I am a right fit for Emergency Management, hopefully I am, but I digress...

You, yourself have to answer that question, if you don't find the direct link to their website helpful I don't know what else to tell you. Maybe find your closest CAAS accredited EMS service, and ask one of their supervisors or managers.

My current service was CAAS accredited once upon a time, but is no longer. They're a benchmark accrediting body, much like CAMTS, but again if you're unfamiliar with these accrediting bodies I have no clue how you're surviving, or enjoying emergency management. This should all be pretty easy stuff thus far, I would imagine.

I once upon a time worked at the same corporate giant as Desert, and they were still CAAS accredited then; they come by, do an audit, or maybe a few? after you apply, and/ or have time to meet their "standards", but as for "real-life" methods, figure it out on your own, otherwise you're selling yourself, and your future service(s) short as a future manager.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Got ya.. that's because you are a paramedic i believe!! so you didn't deal with managerial issues etc.
Also wrong. One thing I'm learning in my course is that we're all in part managers regardless of our provider level. Where is it you're taking this course? Hopefully not Creighton currently, or EKUo_O

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
A lot of CAAS is operational stuff that Paramedics deal with.

My agency just applied for and received our CAAS accreditation and it was a process that took upwards of a year. It's not an easy thing to do. The standards are the standards and many agencies are going to have to change operations type stuff as well as managerial things to qualify. The application is no joke, we had an entire committee in charge of the application alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Interesting segue: with the outright-dangerous practices that a lot of CAAS-accredited agencies operate with, what's the point of it in the first place?

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Also, I don't understand the point of CAAS. My last employer was CAAS accredited. My current is not. My current employer beats my previous in every possible category of measure. I get that if you meet their arbitrary standards, you get a plaque, but where did they come up with the standards and how are they supposed to relate to affective patient care?

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Interesting segue: with the outright-dangerous practices that a lot of CAAS-accredited agencies operate with, what's the point of it in the first place?
CAAS is basically the Better Business Bureau of EMS.

And if you're just now learning that the BBB is a for-profit money making machine, charging for A ratings with small business as it's prey, welcome to the club.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
II have to agree with this. I've worked for companies that were CAAS accredited that were absolute garbage. I think CAAS is great if the company is perceptive to the ideals of CAAS, but most companies are. They just want the sticker/title to advertise that they meet the "gold standard". Instead of trying to be a great ambulance company, they would do just enough to get by. That means cutting corners and dropping the ball on things that aren't regulated. CAAS means nothing to me.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
@Aprz, is CAAS anything like the Joint Commission in terms of random visits?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
@Aprz, is CAAS anything like the Joint Commission in terms of random visits?

Both programs I've worked for are CAAS accredited and I've never heard of a random site check in my 6 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk