C-collars

emtbuff

Forum Captain
Had a discussion with one of the nurses the other day and found out that the hosptial is looking at getting some adjustable c-collars. We Carry the regular ridged c-collars. We have also gotten some cheap adjustable c-collars which break in half when you fold them as we keep them hung on the oh crap bars on the top.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by emtbuff@Feb 8 2005, 01:36 PM
Had a discussion with one of the nurses the other day and found out that the hosptial is looking at getting some adjustable c-collars. We Carry the regular ridged c-collars. We have also gotten some cheap adjustable c-collars which break in half when you fold them as we keep them hung on the oh crap bars on the top.
Stifneck Select. :eek:

Stifneck Select Pedi :eek:

fit 95%+ of patients, never breaks

In the local ED's they like the old-style "philly" collars - can't understand why - fits limited range of patients.

Jon

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Laerdal Stifneck. In the UK, they have entire catalogs with JUST C-COLLARS! :eek:
I WANT ONE!

In the nearly seven years I've been an EMT, at first I bought my own stuff, and adjustable collars were not popular. In fact the only company that sold adjustable collars, was Ambu, The ACE was only sold in GALLS.

The ACE collar fits everyone, perfectly, at the setting they require. HOWEVER! The Ace costs more than the Stifneck Select when purchased in bulk, so my service went w/ the select from Moore.

When we go to the ER, they take our 10 dollar collar (put it in their mass casualty room after it comes off the patient) and give us a $1.88 Philly "Small" Collar. No matter what size we gave them. If they do give our collar back w/ the board, another service steals it b4 we get a chance to pick it up. :(

I carry:
2 - Stifneck Select Pediatric Collars
1 - Ambu Pedi Ace Adj. Collar
2 - Infant No Neck
2 - Pediatric
1 - Xtra Short (Yes, it's called Xtra Short, and it is VERY THIN, I traded a demand valve for a box of misc stuff w/ an ambulance service in Maryland, this was included)
2 - Short
2 - Neck Less
4 - Stifneck Select Adult Collars
2 - Ambu ACE Adj. Adult Collar
2 - Tall Collars

GFD940

Forum Probie
Hey, If you like the Ambu Perfit Ace but don't like the price, go to EMS*USA and find your local rep. If your service contacts them, they can quote you a better price. Possibly less than $6 each.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by Blueeighty8@Feb 9 2005, 01:35 PM
When we go to the ER, they take our 10 dollar collar (put it in their mass casualty room after it comes off the patient) and give us a $1.88 Philly "Small" Collar. No matter what size we gave them. If they do give our collar back w/ the board, another service steals it b4 we get a chance to pick it up. :(
You reuse your C-Collars? As far as we're concerned, they're disposable since there is no way to properly decontaminate them

Also, we use only the adjustable collars since buying only one type of adult and one type of peds keeps our costs down.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by GFD940@Feb 9 2005, 04:12 PM
Hey, If you like the Ambu Perfit Ace but don't like the price, go to EMS*USA and find your local rep. If your service contacts them, they can quote you a better price. Possibly less than $6 each.
I'll do that. Thanx

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by ffemt8978+Feb 9 2005, 04:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ffemt8978 @ Feb 9 2005, 04:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Blueeighty8@Feb 9 2005, 01:35 PM
You reuse your C-Collars? As far as we're concerned, they're disposable since there is no way to properly decontaminate them

Also, we use only the adjustable collars since buying only one type of adult and one type of peds keeps our costs down. [/b][/quote]
I soak them in chlorox for ten minutes, and keep them in case of a mass-casualty. It'd be like throwing away a wooden backboard after every use. Although we don't use wooden boards anymore, they can be useful in a disaster! As can the collars.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by Blueeighty8+Feb 9 2005, 04:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Blueeighty8 @ Feb 9 2005, 04:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by ffemt8978@Feb 9 2005, 04:54 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Blueeighty8
@Feb 9 2005, 01:35 PM

Also, we use only the adjustable collars since buying only one type of adult and one type of peds keeps our costs down.
I soak them in chlorox for ten minutes, and keep them in case of a mass-casualty. It'd be like throwing away a wooden backboard after every use. Although we don't use wooden boards anymore, they can be useful in a disaster! As can the collars. [/b][/quote]
Good idea. We might have to look into that.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
We use Laerdal StifNeck Select Collar and the Peds version.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Originally posted by MMiz@Feb 9 2005, 08:09 PM
Us too. :)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Blueeighty8@Feb 9 2005, 03:35 PM
1 - Xtra Short (Yes, it's called Xtra Short, and it is VERY THIN, I traded a demand valve for a box of misc stuff w/ an ambulance service in Maryland, this was included)
Got any other demand valves?????

PLEASE????

Jon
:rolleyes:

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Nope. Only had one, when I bought it w/ a hard orange case & E Cylinder, I was surprised to find the set it came with (and was MFG by) had no DISS port to hook it to. :blink: Oh well. Sold the kit on eBay, demand to that ambulance service. While they work okay for drownings and firefighters w/ smoke inhalation; I was told they are not to be used on ambulances in PA anymore. We used to have them w/ every kit.

Again, try eBay or a surplus auction! :(

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
We use the Ambu Perfit ACE and Mini Perfit ACE. The adult size are pre-packaged with the Head Wedge, which I absolutely hate (think its about worthless for immobilization). I'd much prefer to have one of those closed-cell/velcro head block set-ups, even if it did mean more decon.

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
Originally posted by rescuecpt+Feb 9 2005, 11:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rescuecpt @ Feb 9 2005, 11:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MMiz@Feb 9 2005, 08:09 PM
Us too. :) [/b][/quote]
ditto

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Originally posted by Blueeighty8@Feb 9 2005, 06:38 PM
I soak them in chlorox for ten minutes, and keep them in case of a mass-casualty. It'd be like throwing away a wooden backboard after every use. Although we don't use wooden boards anymore, they can be useful in a disaster! As can the collars.
Would you really be applying c-collars in a mass disaster?

Would you apply them with 25 patients that require back boarding? 50? 100? 200?

We all know that most of our c-collars are just ripped off in the ED once we get there, and while I've always put one one even when I had a doubt, I'm not sure it would be the best use of resources in a huge MCI.

Comments?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by MMiz+Feb 12 2005, 05:44 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MMiz @ Feb 12 2005, 05:44 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Blueeighty8@Feb 9 2005, 06:38 PM

We all know that most of our c-collars are just ripped off in the ED once we get there, and while I've always put one one even when I had a doubt, I'm not sure it would be the best use of resources in a huge MCI.

Comments? [/b][/quote]
I would, because all you need is for one of your patients to have required a C-Collar and you not apply it. You would have some major problems on your hands at that point.

OP
OP
E

emtbuff

Forum Captain
I would say put c-collars on every one and if you run out then as you are putting people on back board tape their head to the board using LOTS of tape.

We infact just had an accident in town that had 7 people involved. We only have two rigs and had four plastic back boards in the rigs. We have at least another 4 wooden back boards in the garage for use in a MCI. Any how I was at the hospital and helping the nursing staff get ready. All 7 pts were brought in the two rigs they had four backboarded and c-collared one on each bench seat and cot. the other three were c-collared and sat in the front passenger seat and one rode in the jump seat. When they got to the hospital they took the two from the cot and bench seat leaving the others sitting quitely in the rigs with other EMTS around. had a couple firefighters go and get the wooden back boards from the garage and the did rapid extracation type of procedures on the other three to get them backboarded. It all worked well.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by MMiz+Feb 12 2005, 07:44 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MMiz @ Feb 12 2005, 07:44 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Blueeighty8@Feb 9 2005, 06:38 PM

Comments? [/b][/quote]
Sure! I'd collar every one I could! Why not give them the best possible treatment? I know when our stock is gone, the next service has the same thing.

My thoughts on disaster planning.

It's all about planning, and organizing your needs vs. your resources in time of disaster.

Thanks to the generous tax payers, we have available to us a large trailer w/ equipment to package. I have a list of school bus contractors, and the phone number of the funeral homes, and a guy who owns a large quantity of old dodge army ambulances to transport people to our planned triage/treatment area. It's a church ball room, people ask what the colored boxes on the floor mean (Green, yellow, red, black). We have 100+ stretchers, back boards, CID sets; dozens of cases of supplies; hundreds of blankets; and one triage tag for every person in our county; and we also have cases to set up an emergency disaster hospital; and plans to turn the local medical clinic into a small, but functional trauma center. Being that we are in the middle of nowhere, with limited resources, and not much by way of mutual aid; we have extensive supplies for incidents such as bus accidents and air craft disasters. We've had plane crashes here before, bus accidents. We know it can happen, After initial triage and tagging; when it comes time to transport those people to our secondary triage/treatment area; if we need to collar them, I want to have the equipment to do so.

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Even if we don't use them for a disaster, we can always put them in trauma kits on our apparatus. Most of the time, the collars don't even have blood on them, but they are cleaned anyway.

I don't see what the big deal is with reusing them, in fact the director of the EMS region suggested that I just soak them for 10 minutes, instead of using the volitile chemical sterilizing solution I was before.

shorthairedpunk

Forum Lieutenant
I was suplly officer when we decided to get the adjustables, we tried philly EMTs Choice, which were nice, and cheap, but they sat crooked and nobody remembered to lock them in position for size, we tried the Stiffneck Select, which were very nice but often cost prohibitive, then we got the AMBU Perfit ACE, which are awesome, they have 16 adjustments and are easy to use and to remember to lock in