Bystander infection risk denied by ambulance service

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...-overdose-victim/story-e6frf7kx-1226007565965

AMBULANCE Victoria says it will not highlight infection risks when instructing people to give mouth-to-mouth resuscitation for fear of discouraging good Samaritans.

I can see both sides of this.

You can't exactly have the call taker list the various infection risks before giving CPR instructions (I was surprised and pleased with AV's honestly).

On the other side of the coin, I can understand why the people in question are annoyed about being "bullied", as they put it, to give rescue breaths to drug addicts.

Discuss.

281mustang

Forum Lieutenant
You can't exactly have the call taker list the various infection risks before giving CPR instructions (I was surprised and pleased with AV's honestly).
Nope, but I CAN expect them to recommend the use of some form of barrier. If they choose not to that's their own decision, but it should absolutely be recommended to them by dispatch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scout

Para-Noid
Hands only FTW

adds put on on TV a while back here
[YOUTUBE]hH8nhBw2kGg[/YOUTUBE]

OP
OP
Melclin

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Hands only FTW

adds put on on TV a while back here

I don't think these were full arrest scenarios. I think they involved people who were severely bradypneic. I'm not sure how exactly the call takers are drawing the line these days. I know they're doing hands only CPR for full arrests with no CPR trained bystanders.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Well some people thing breaths should be done away with in civilian cpr all together.

They already changed it to compressions first. Hopefully by the time the person goes down, cpr compressions started, and time for the first breath. EMS will have already been notified and on there way.

Im not locking lips with anyone but my significant other. And probably a baby. lol