Bulletproof Vests

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Nope. Just have good reflexes.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
We are issued vests and have to carry them with us on the truck. A few people wear them on every call, but the majority only wear them on violent sounding calls or police actions. We're required to wear them in times of "civil unrest," or when told by a supervisor.

There's some talk from some of our admin that we should be wearing them on all transports, as that's really the greatest time of danger for us. In the environment I work in, I'm far more likely to be involved in an ambulance accident when in the back with a patient rather than suddenly shot or stabbed. These vests can do a good job of protecting the chest from blunt trauma as well.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
As we fall under the Police Department, when they got a grant, we got issued ones as well, and they had the presence of mind to purchase outer carriers for us, have EMS on the back and some reflective striping. Seems comfortable so far, i think this is a trend that is here to stay

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Oh yeah, I should clarify that. Ours are outer carriers as well (thank God!) and are clearly marked with our organization name on the front and back. It actually looks similar to our uniform. There's a nearby BLS fire department that wears some bulkier outer carriers with all the pockets, and they look far too "tacti-cool" for my tastes. They look like cops to me until you see the EMS marking on the back.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
We are not issued vests and I don't know of any employees who wear or have one (tend to cost $$$).

However if one incident occurs with a FF or EMT/medic getting shot or stabbed in my county, we would most likely be issued them.

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
If you want a bullet proof vest, you will be issued one.

If you don't want one, you don't have to wear one and are not issued one.

I do not wear one.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If we were issued them I'd wear them on certain calls. I agree with Chaz though, definitely would want it well marked as EMS/MEDIC so the bad guys don't get confused and shoot at me first.

I wasn't huge on them but after what happened in Philly, a few personal things and things that have happened to friends I think it'd be a good idea. No way I'd wear one under my uniform all day though and I definitely don't plan on buying one with my own money.

If I remember correctly KCM1 wears them on all violent sounds calls or calls in conjunction with a crime in progress.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
I wouldn't want to wear one all of the time, but I wouldn't complain about wearing one on dangerous sounding calls.

MagicTyler

Forum Lieutenant
I was told by a co worker that its against company policy to wearca vest on duty... i havnt confirmed with managemen.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I was told by a co worker that its against company policy to wearca vest on duty... i havnt confirmed with managemen.

I think they'd have trouble telling you it wasn't allowed if you bought it yourself and wore it under your uniform.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Back when I was actually on the streets, we weren't issued vests. We weren't prohibited from wearing one under our uniforms though. Since we didn't make a lot of money, and since we weren't often sent on "dangerous" calls very often, most of us never bought one for personal use.

If I'd had the money, I'd have bought one and used it. They can help limit the injury you receive in a crash, especially if you're unrestrained as it will distribute the forces over a slightly wider area of your body. I preferred to wear a seat belt whenever possible and only unbuckle if I absolutely had to.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

Although I disagree, I could imagine an employer being worried that employees wearing personal vests would take unnecessary risks, placing themselves, their partners or their patients in unnecessary harm, without additional training or backup...

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
No.

Someone took some pot shots at a crew about sixth months ago and it made the national news.

The job is not without risk but I'm really no more likely to get shot than any other member of society. You know..what with the sensible gun control and relative lack of socio-economic issues leading to violent crime.

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Quite the opposite.. I've been issued that reflective, bright yellow "Shoot me first" vest.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Quite the opposite.. I've been issued that reflective, bright yellow "Shoot me first" vest.

That's why you don't usually wear those unless you're operating in an open roadway/highway...

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Ours aren't marked with a big reflective MEDIC, but they look like our regular blue flight suit. I wear it on any police action call, but I'll admit I'm guilty of not wearing as often as I promised my wife I would when working in sketchy areas.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
No.

Someone took some pot shots at a crew about sixth months ago and it made the national news.

The job is not without risk but I'm really no more likely to get shot than any other member of society. You know..what with the sensible gun control and relative lack of socio-economic issues leading to violent crime.

^This

And why would you put yourself in a situation where you might need a vest? If it sounds sketchy then wait for law enforcement. I just don't go in if it sounds hinky.

And to whoever was saying that they're good protection in a crash... Do you also wear a helmet with a little light on it, water wings, a life jacket, knee and elbow pads, a back brace and generally wrap yourself in bubble wrap before a shift too?

images

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
And why would you put yourself in a situation where you might need a vest? If it sounds sketchy then wait for law enforcement. I just don't go in if it sounds hinky.

And to whoever was saying that they're good protection in a crash... Do you also wear a helmet with a little light on it, water wings, a life jacket, knee and elbow pads, a back brace and generally wrap yourself in bubble wrap before a shift too?

Like everything else we do, it's a balance between practicality and safety. I've been here for about 4 months and worn my vest probably 3 times. I don't wear it in the back of ambulances, though I do see how it could be of some benefit in an accident. Just because LE is on scene doesn't mean nothing will change after you get there or that PD presence automatically guarantees safety. I have taken a large knife off of a suicidal patient's bedside table after the "scene was secure" per the two cops standing in the room.

I'm not the type to think some kind of boogie man is after me or that druggies, thugs, and degenerates have some special kind of vendetta against EMS and Fire. Just as part of our job though, we do go into more emotionally charged and rough environments than I do on my days off. If I am dispatched to an assault with weapons, I don't see the harm in tossing on my vest before going en-route. There typically is some degree of confusion and chaos still going on after LE clears EMS in to the scene, and it isn't a bad idea to be as prepared as possible. I don't think it gives me a false sense of security or bravado when I do wear the vest either.

In reality, I understand that the few times a vest could be helpful could very easily come when least expected. This is far too evident from last years attack on firefighters in New York and recent hostage taking in Georgia. Weighing the risks and benefits is reasonable enough to me, and I like that we're at least given the vest as an option to wear when we think it is prudent.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
^This

images

You must be new here

As i tell all my new EMTs, get the "scene safety" mantra out of your head. There is no such thing as a safe scene. It may be safe in this moment, this second, but that can change quickly. Everyone knows to stage out for an Assault call, butt what about the Altered Mental Status? SURPRISE hes altered because hes on PCP, is shouting that he is Death and here to reclaim souls, and guess whose first? (actual call)

Walk into a house for chest pain, older lady, and her son is sitting next to her, shotgun across the lap, telling my crew we better fix her or else...

Fall? yeah, cause she got hit in the head with a thrown brick from the second floor.

Enter home for a breathing problem, the resident canine doesnt fancy your presence in his house

Your head must constantly be on a swivel, i know it sounds like "Cop Stuff" but watch people, their hands, their eyes, keep your back to the wall, be able to see multiple exits, dont stand in a hallway, you dont know who else is home, street survival is something we dont teach our EMT students and its very much a serious thing.