Buckle up on the Bench?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Do any of you ever buckle up while on the bench while with a patient?

I never did it until my last shift, when as I was sitting there, I remembered all those stories I read with people being injured because of lack of restraints in the back of the ambulance. I then started buckling up on non-priority BLS transfers.

What about you?

40sCutest

Forum Lieutenant
I never have... Maybe I should start seeing as how bad some of our roads are. I've hit my head more times that I remember while transporting a pt...

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
I do unless I have to be up and moving around. Especially if I'm working in the zone where we've had 3 turnovers :(

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Only for bad weather/long rides where I don't need to do much pt. work. Oddly enough, I usually find myself wedged between the bench and the pram on the floor - I like to get down on my pt's level as much as I can, especially when it is a child, elderly person, or potential EDP.

Summit

Critical Crazy
When I lay down on the stretcher on the way back from the city, I buckle up before I go to sleep :)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I try to...Usually fail, but suprised myself on Thursday - both runs I was in the back with a relativly stable Pt., and I buckled in on the bench. Supriesed myself, actually.

Jon

daemonicusxx

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by MMiz@Apr 1 2005, 12:49 PM
Do any of you ever buckle up while on the bench while with a patient?

I never did it until my last shift, when as I was sitting there, I remembered all those stories I read with people being injured because of lack of restraints in the back of the ambulance. I then started buckling up on non-priority BLS transfers.

What about you?
i did the same thing. about a week ago, i read about the statistics and stuff of ambulance wrecks, on EMTLife.com infact! havent ridden without a belt since. my partner is really bad about not buckling up, even in the front, and i make him now. i just dont wanna see him or anyone i work with (you guys included) get injured.

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I work as a contingent employee, meaning usually I get a different partner every time I work. Every one of my partners buckles up when up front, but I don't know of any that do in the back.

I know when we have a ride-a-long, and when I was one, we always tell the student to buckle up, even in the back.

emtbuff

Forum Captain
I know if I am up front as a driver or passenger I always buckle up. However when I am in the back I don't think I have ever buckled up. It seems however that when there are three of us on our way back from transfers it seems that one ends up sitting on the bags in the middle. I have often thought about it but it just never happens when I am in the back. I think that is something I need to work on like everyone else. :D

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
Originally posted by Wingnut@Apr 1 2005, 01:37 PM
I do unless I have to be up and moving around. Especially if I'm working in the zone where we've had 3 turnovers :(
Apple or cherry? :p

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
LMAO.........Apple :p

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
Originally posted by Summit@Apr 2 2005, 12:52 AM
When I lay down on the stretcher on the way back from the city, I buckle up before I go to sleep :)
Same with me.

emtchicky156

Forum Crew Member
I hope you dont sleep too soundly or you might find yourself shrink wrapped to the cot.

SCEMT-B

Forum Crew Member
*shudders* I wouldn't lay down on my stretcher for a nap after knowing what I've had on it, and even tho it was cleaned. :lol:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by emtchicky156+Apr 5 2005, 04:17 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (emtchicky156 @ Apr 5 2005, 04:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Summit@Apr 2 2005, 12:52 AM
I hope you dont sleep too soundly or you might find yourself shrink wrapped to the cot. [/b][/quote]
or duct taped.

Same difference really.

The Lunatick covers this event in some detail:

http://www.thelunatick.com/ems/never_sleep...ering_of_am.htm

http://www.thelunatick.com/ems/proper_way_...n_your_part.htm

:lol: Jon :lol:

daemonicusxx

Forum Lieutenant
i found out pretty quick too that if i buckle up in the captains chair, it makes finnishing my PCR easier and quicker. if im not buckled in, i gotta worry about the report AND staying upright while my partner is driving. :p

possum

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by daemonicusxx@Apr 9 2005, 03:57 PM
i found out pretty quick too that if i buckle up in the captains chair, it makes finnishing my PCR easier and quicker. if im not buckled in, i gotta worry about the report AND staying upright while my partner is driving. :p
YOU HAVE TO GET USE TO WRITING IN THE BACK OF A TRUCK. I CAN WRITE ANYWHERE IN THE TRUCK.

POSSUM

possum

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+Apr 8 2005, 08:04 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ Apr 8 2005, 08:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by emtchicky156@Apr 5 2005, 04:17 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Summit
@Apr 2 2005, 12:52 AM

I hope you dont sleep too soundly or you might find yourself shrink wrapped to the cot.
or duct taped.

Same difference really.

The Lunatick covers this event in some detail:

http://www.thelunatick.com/ems/never_sleep...ering_of_am.htm

http://www.thelunatick.com/ems/proper_way_...n_your_part.htm

:lol: Jon :lol: [/b][/quote]
NO I DON'T

POSSUM

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
I am always buckled up running to a call. During transport if with a non emergent pt I always buckle up. Does anyone really have the time to mess with a belt when on a hot return and busy? On my volly dept if I have any new FRs with me I will usually ask them to wear a belt and usually have them just do vitals so they dont have to move around alot.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
During my ride alongs for my class I buckle up in the back during response and post moves. But when the patient is in the back, I am usually moving around so I can't.