British Columbia to regulate body armor use

RyanMidd

Forum Lieutenant
Original story:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/10/20/bc-body-armour-law.html

Article mentions that the use of body armor is regulated in the States and elsewhere already. Has anyone working for an urban service got something to add, or an opinion about how it has worked?

I live one province east of BC, and I can still walk into an EMS/Police/Fire supplier and buy level I, II, or III body armor and wear it out if I like. Our urban EMS are able to sign out and wear LII vests while working, and some private companies provide its use as well, especially those which operate on or near reserves.

I am of the opinion that if someone is going to use a gun illegally, it is not a far cry from them obtaining bulletproof garments and using them as well. That being said, I am a firm believer in taking the options of criminals away, or at least making these things more difficult to obtain. If there is one more roadblock in place that deters one more criminal, it seems worth it to me.

I know the article does not mention EMS specifically, but I bet provisions are made for any public service employees.

What do you guys think, if anything? Just curious.

AlphaButch

Forum Lieutenant
In Texas, as long as you don't have a felony, you can wear body armor.

Personally, I find it uncomfortable and too movement limiting to wear during normal EMS functions (and normally not necessary if you follow your scene safety rules). There are times when body armor should actually be a part of the job; notably tactical assist, rescue during disasters and the odd middle of nowhere middle of the night raise the hairs on your neck calls.

I see that law as just another charge to add on to a perp when arrested. They won't be able to regulate second hand sales which is the primary method perps use to arm themselves.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
We have vests on our rigs. No signing out just put them back after the call like every other piece of equipment. The only regulations I can think of are the felony issue and that the government wont pay for them since we are not LEO's. Sad thing is we need them as well.

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
Our department has every member fitted and issued one. I don't know if anyone can purchase one, I've never looked into that.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
A simple backround check should be sufficient.

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
Edmonton allows stab/slash vests as well as bullet vests. Personally, I have a LII low-profile stab/slash vest. It conceals well as it's low profile, so I can wear it under my uniform.

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
I can buy any level I want and all that no problem. I am looking into a stab/slash vest just for my self. At the same time I shouldn't be there if I need it. (Easier said than done I know. depends on area).

Honestly if a person is gonna do harm to someone they will do it. You can black market buy this stuff, military surplus stores. So, many options for illegal purchasing. That being said, there are so many laws now that prohibit lawful citizens from buying or obtaining anything that this will be another money waster and force places to hire more people to do the paperwork.

Also I do believe with bodyarmor mass avaliable that is why LEOs carrie ARs is it not? (correct me if I am wrong), our boys in blue have AR15s.