BP Cuff on forearm--experience/thoughts?

reidnez

Forum Crew Member
Hey there!

The other day I was visiting my cousin in the hospital. Her RN came in to take vitals and I noticed that she put the BP cuff on my cousin's forearm. It was a disposable cuff connected to the automated monitor that hospitals typically use. The nurse looked pretty busy so I didn't want to hold her up with questions, but it made me curious.

I was wondering if anyone has seen or used this technique prehospital. My thought was that if you had a bariatric patient and none of your cuffs were large enough for their upper arm, you could probably get a regular-size cuff over the forearm and then either palpate or auscultate the radial. I'll try it on my girlfriend when she gets home, though she is nowhere near bariatric :).

Thoughts? Experience? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I've used it prehospital and in hospital both with automated machines and with a steth doing it manually. Works pretty good.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
There are studies on this, some stating minimal changes in mmHg between upper arm and forearm, and other studies stating as much as 20mmhG difference.

Honestly if it's a choice between no bp, and one that would be a bit off, I'd go with the one that would be a bit off.

OP
OP
reidnez

reidnez

Forum Crew Member
There are studies on this, some stating minimal changes in mmHg between upper arm and forearm, and other studies stating as much as 20mmhG difference.

Honestly if it's a choice between no bp, and one that would be a bit off, I'd go with the one that would be a bit off.

That is interesting. My minimally-educated hunch is that pressure would decline to some degree as you go distal, just as palpable pulses do. 20mm/Hg could make a difference in some cases, e.g. the decision to give nitro. But as you say, an inaccurate BP reading is better than none at all.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I have yet to have a patient so large a bariatric cuff wouldn't work. I'm sure they're out there, but they're very few and far between.

OP
OP
reidnez

reidnez

Forum Crew Member
I have yet to have a patient so large a bariatric cuff wouldn't work. I'm sure they're out there, but they're very few and far between.

True, on the ambulance or in hospital you will usually have big cuffs so it's not an issue. I was thinking more of standby/event/first-responder situations where you just have your bag, and probably only have an adult and maybe pediatric cuff since those will cover 90% of patients.

reaper

Working Bum
I have used in on a NIBP. It will work and is fairly accurate.

Even large cuffs will not give you accurate BP on a lot of obese pt's. If their arms are large at the top and skinnier towards the bottom, the cuffs will not be able to inflate evenly. This is the normal pt's where a forearm BP will be more accurate!

LondonMedic

Forum Captain
I agree in principle, but I would suggest adding the caveat that it's only acceptable if everyone involved knows what that 'bit off' means and what it could be.

MS Medic

Forum Captain
I have had to do it with an auto BP (and yes the pt was so big that the large adult cuff the LP12 comes with would not fit around the upper arm). I found the readings very unreliable and I would rather use a manual cuff and palpate a pressure in this situation.

eveningsky339

Forum Lieutenant
I've seen the forearm used even in patients who are far from bariatric, though this occurred in a clinical setting. I'm not entirely sure why the forearm would be selected on a non-bariatric patient, though.

8jimi8

CFRN
I have had to do it with an auto BP (and yes the pt was so big that the large adult cuff the LP12 comes with would not fit around the upper arm). I found the readings very unreliable and I would rather use a manual cuff and palpate a pressure in this situation.

how are you using a manual cuff and palpating if it doesn't fit?

8jimi8

CFRN
Hey there!

The other day I was visiting my cousin in the hospital. Her RN came in to take vitals and I noticed that she put the BP cuff on my cousin's forearm. It was a disposable cuff connected to the automated monitor that hospitals typically use. The nurse looked pretty busy so I didn't want to hold her up with questions, but it made me curious.

I was wondering if anyone has seen or used this technique prehospital. My thought was that if you had a bariatric patient and none of your cuffs were large enough for their upper arm, you could probably get a regular-size cuff over the forearm and then either palpate or auscultate the radial. I'll try it on my girlfriend when she gets home, though she is nowhere near bariatric :).

Thoughts? Experience? Thanks!

When we do this in the hospital, we always document where the blood pressure was taken on the patient and what tools we used.

Sure accuracy is off, but you can get a partial picture from the trend... and hey if you have pulses... then you have some minimal palpated pressures too, right?

forgot to add... we also do them on the legs. And a great reason not to do blood pressures on someone's arm is a contraindication such as an AV Fistula

wwwguest

Forum Ride Along
forearm b/p

I use this technique and it is fine. Sometimes when someone is boarded, clothing is a problem. You can usually slide sleeve up enough to get b/p on forearm. It wont move your immobilized pt enough to risk more injury. Plus dont have to cut clothing if not needed!

spinnakr

Forum Lieutenant
That is interesting. My minimally-educated hunch is that pressure would decline to some degree as you go distal, just as palpable pulses do. 20mm/Hg could make a difference in some cases, e.g. the decision to give nitro. But as you say, an inaccurate BP reading is better than none at all.
That's going to depend on a lot - if, for example, the patient is standing (or the arm is just vertical), then the pressure closer to the ground should be higher - albeit marginally so. However, particularly in patients with a low blood volume, you can see a huge difference between standing, sitting, and supine anyways - so it's very tough to say. Best just note where the BP was taken.

I use this technique and it is fine. Sometimes when someone is boarded, clothing is a problem. You can usually slide sleeve up enough to get b/p on forearm. It wont move your immobilized pt enough to risk more injury. Plus dont have to cut clothing if not needed!
Erm, just cut the clothing, seriously. If the patient is boarded and comes in to the hospital on the board with an intact shirt, then the ER staff will cut it. Particularly if it's blocking the upper arm.

Radioactive

Forum Probie
Along the lines of this thread:

I had a nurse say to me the other day that in the near future everyone will be taking BP's at the wrist with automated cuffs. My instructor doesn't even like the normal upper arm type of automated cuffs that are in fairly common use, but he's pretty old-school. So what's that about with the wrist?

MS Medic

Forum Captain
how are you using a manual cuff and palpating if it doesn't fit?

Putting a manual cuff on the forearm and palpating.

Looked at that other thread. Never thought of ausculatating the radial pulse will look into that some more. Thanks Mike.

MS Medic

Forum Captain
Along the lines of this thread:

I had a nurse say to me the other day that in the near future everyone will be taking BP's at the wrist with automated cuffs. My instructor doesn't even like the normal upper arm type of automated cuffs that are in fairly common use, but he's pretty old-school. So what's that about with the wrist?

My understanding about the auto BP is that it only measures the map and then runs an algorith to "determin a BP". I could be wrong on this. But if that is correct then you never actually get the systolic or diastolic BP.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
In dialysis centers things are a little different because they have to avoid any fistulas/grafts the pt has.

I've done them on the wrist and seen them done on the wrist at hospitals/SNFs. Like someone said above, sometimes the shape of the persons upper arm makes it impossible for the cuff to inflate evenly, so the wrist is a better option.