BOSTON EMS

emaloochie

Forum Ride Along
I am looking to relocate to Boston as an AEMT, and I was wondering if anyone has any insight on the best ambulances to work for out there. I am pretty flexible in location, I am looking towards the surrounding cities Brookline, Newton, Cambridge, Somerville etc. I know they have an AMR out there, but I wasn't sure the best route to go. Thanks!

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
First off, let me say that almost nobody in eastern(metropolitan) Massachusetts uses A's. My company(Brewster) sort of does and sort of doesn't. We will occasionally staff a P/I truck based on necessity, but never B/I; so you're functioning as basically a paramedics driver and assistant; and thats about the best deal you're going to get east of I-495.

AMR is AMR and I doubt there's too much difference between AMR Colorado and AMR Mass. You either fit in with mega corporate EMS or you don't. I did not. AMR is also step by step withdrawing from eastern MA, so if you choose to work for them, know that your days are likely numbered.

Brookline is serviced by Fallon ambulance with one dedicated P/P truck and is as close to a closed system as it gets without making it official.

Cambridge is a mix of city and private. Cambridge fire works in concert with ProEMS. They are a decent outfit to work for, but Cambridge is a unique animal. You either dig the vibes or you don't.

Somerville, and most of the rest of the non municipal North Shore towns, are serviced by Cataldo/Atlantic EMS. Not a bad outfit as privates go.

If you're actually moving to Boston proper(as in within the city limits) and you want a high volume 911 job, you can try out for Boston EMS. Residency is a requirement, they(usually) run two academies a year, selection is not like hiring on at a private, and you will do a million calls a shift. Turn over is high, gripes are prevalent, and you will only work as a basic(to the best of my knowledge).

OP
OP
E

emaloochie

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the feedback @hometownmedic5. That was actually very helpful. I'm still looking for that good fit and I have yet to find an area that I want to settle down in.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
If you're actually moving to Boston proper(as in within the city limits) and you want a high volume 911 job, you can try out for Boston EMS. Residency is a requirement, they(usually) run two academies a year, selection is not like hiring on at a private, and you will do a million calls a shift. Turn over is high, gripes are prevalent, and you will only work as a basic(to the best of my knowledge).

The salaries do seem relatively high, though, for EMS ($54k starting) - and I think they are staffing AEMT units...but they are all actually paramedics.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief

The wages are a compensating differential. Yes, they pay in the low twenties(after you're pinned) for BLS, which is high anywhere; but as I said residency is a requirement. Every single aspect of your life will be more expensive. Rent in the city is astronomical, car insurance can easily be double suburban rates if you have the wrong address, even a gallon of milk is going to cost you more. So yeah, they pay you more per hour, but most of the difference is going to be eaten up by the cost of living increase.

I have never heard of BEMS running anything but B/B and P/P units. It's true a lot of the "basics" at BEMS are actually medics hoping they can hang on long enough to promote to ALS(which takes several years on average), but officially they can only work as basics. That being said, I dont work there and dont have the boots on the ground knowledge to say for sure; hence the "to the best of my knowledge" trap door.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
@hometownmedic5 do any of the aforementioned services (excluding BEMS) provide non-transporting ALS intercept services?

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Pro does, but only in one location(Emerson hospital catchment area).

None of the rest of the list runs a real non transport program. Supervisors can function as such, but thats not the same. Armstrong(which operates in the North Shore area), runs true non transporting ALS with a number of BLS transporting fire depts in that area. Two hospital systems in the general Boston area, Lowell and Lawrence General Hospitals run true non transport services for the surrounding communities; but calling them "boston area" is really stretching the definition.

Non transport isn't nearly as big a thing around here as it should be. It sure used to be. Back in the day, paramedics ran out of several hospitals in the area, covering most of region. Most of these programs were top notch; but were phased out when more and more Fire departments decided to stop leaving money on the table and take over the ambulance. Personally, I think we were better served in times past, but that's subjective.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
This Thread has made me start watching this show on YouTube :]
The BEMS TV show? I think (like most of these shows) it made them look like a less than desirable EMS system and service to work for.

It's still a wicked cool accent though;).

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Pro does, but only in one location(Emerson hospital catchment area).

None of the rest of the list runs a real non transport program. Supervisors can function as such, but thats not the same. Armstrong(which operates in the North Shore area), runs true non transporting ALS with a number of BLS transporting fire depts in that area. Two hospital systems in the general Boston area, Lowell and Lawrence General Hospitals run true non transport services for the surrounding communities; but calling them "boston area" is really stretching the definition.

Non transport isn't nearly as big a thing around here as it should be. It sure used to be. Back in the day, paramedics ran out of several hospitals in the area, covering most of region. Most of these programs were top notch; but were phased out when more and more Fire departments decided to stop leaving money on the table and take over the ambulance. Personally, I think we were better served in times past, but that's subjective.
Does South Shore still run ALS? When I was at Brewster in 2011 we'd occasionally get SSH ALS ambulances to intercept us since at that time there was one medic truck in Boston and the rest in Middleboro.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Does South Shore still run ALS? When I was at Brewster in 2011 we'd occasionally get SSH ALS ambulances to intercept us since at that time there was one medic truck in Boston and the rest in Middleboro.

SSH has an ambulance service, but it's all transport. The days of SSH non transport fly car services are well behind us. Same with Norwood, Morton, Jordan and so on.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
This Thread has made me start watching this show on YouTube :]
It's also on Hulu. And made me never want to get hurt in Boston

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Haha! You guys need to get one started for Hall!
I'll leave that up to the people who aren't halfway across the country from the Cult lol. I know there's a few TX agencies that have been approached by the production company that did NightWatch about doing a show set here in the best state

VentMonkey

Family Guy
there's a few TX agencies that have been approached by the production company that did NightWatch about doing a show set here in the best state...that doesn't have non-transport ALS intercepts
Fixed it.
Haha! You guys need to get one started for Hall!
Noooo thank you. The day they approach this place for that show is the day I am far removed from any metro overtime. We have enough "Nightwatch" types who work, well, nights.

3 words- one big headache.

wtferick

Forum Captain
I'll leave that up to the people who aren't halfway across the country from the Cult lol. I know there's a few TX agencies that have been approached by the production company that did NightWatch about doing a show set here in the best state
Same here in Orange County CA but our Fire Department denied it haha

wtferick

Forum Captain
Fixed it.

Noooo thank you. The day they approach this place for that show is the day I am far removed from any metro overtime. We have enough "Nightwatch" types who work, well nights.

3 words- one big headache.
I'm just a big fan of watching how certain agencies work!

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I'm just a big fan of watching how certain agencies work!
Right, but it's only a handful of employees. Chopped into an hour of adrenaline-filled "entertainment". This hardly displays how most truly successful agencies work, let alone how they're successful, and respected.

wtferick

Forum Captain
Right, but it's only a handful of employees. Chopped into an hour of adrenaline-filled "entertainment". This hardly displays how most truly successful agencies work, let alone how they're successful, and respected.
Very true..

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Very true..
They also appear to be hand-picked. I, myself, doubt I have a flare for the dramatic as many of these providers on these shows seem to possess.

I feel like a predominant amount of providers on this forum who take their craft seriously would feel the same. Alas, the infamous and unfortunate "great EMS divide"...

Anyhow, back to MA EMS agencies, yes?