Body Armor

daemonicusxx

Forum Lieutenant
I recently started working for an ambulance company, (non 911) in a really bad part of the city. A place where shooting isn’t really uncommon. I think the work there has given me more experience during medic school than if I was still working in fast food. Some of the patients we txp live in really run down complexes, where drug activity is spotted by me and my partner all the time. I decided that some of the body armor I had seen online wasn’t all that pricy, so I purchased a level IIA vest. I can honestly say that I feel a lot safer when I get out of my rig at 0300 at these complexes (there are quite a few) we go to. The funny thing is, that all through basic school they emphasize Scene Safety all the time, but at this company, they don’t consider picking up these patients, as entering an unsafe scene. I know I sound like a baby, but it’s true. I just wanted to get an idea of how everyone feels about the “body armor thing” the reason I post is that I have been the brunt of some jokes and ribbing at work because I choose to wear the vest. Let me know what you think.

Summit

Critical Crazy
IIA isn't necissarily gonna save you depending on the round and hte range... and it isn't gonna stop a bullet to anywhere beside the vest.

OP
OP
D

daemonicusxx

Forum Lieutenant
i guess it all boils down to luck, i'd be lucky that the gun was the right calliber and at the right range. and that the guy shot me in the vest too. but then again, i guess everything boils down to luck. all i can say is that if i do get shot, and the vest saves me, that would be money well spent.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I work in a very nice suburb of Detroit.

Only one EMT wore body armor, and of course he was often the punch line of many jokes.

It's absolutely a personal decision. Personally I would never put myself in a position that I would have to purchase body armor, but that's a personal choice.

The company I work for always has us stage for a scene that might even be slightly violent. Even if they don't tell us to stage, and say the scene is clear, they have no problem contacting the police during while we respond to verify that the scene is still safe.

If you feel you need it, that I would absolutely wear it. Is EMS pay really worth it though? Could you find a job in an area that you wouldn't need it?

Lastly, I read online that body armor can be very helpful in case you're in a MVC.

It's good to see you on the forum, I hope you continue to post!

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I have body armor. It's called cops. They go in, clear the area for me... or they go in and bring the pt out for me. :)

This morning on 3 calls, I met 3 cute cops! Woohoo!

Margaritaville

Forum Lieutenant
Self protection is of utmost importance. If you feel safe with body armour than by all means go for it.

Yes, it is nice to have "cops". But every call cannot be anticipitated. What about the call for the "sick subject". in the luxury $400 per night hotel. Very high class at a high class convention. Subject c/o n & v.

Every call cannot be anticipated. My partner and I were beaten (literally) by a pt in this scenario. Supposed to be a routine sick call. The caller fooled dispatch, the pt fooled us, and security ran away scared.

Police are a great asset, but they cannot be everywhere, so you need to watch your back, front and both sides. Take nothing at face value - or you will get a ride to the ED and spend 6 months in physical therapy. CYA

Self first - Pt. second - no exceptions

OP
OP
D

daemonicusxx

Forum Lieutenant
yea, its cool to see everyones opinion on the topic. ive never really posted on something like this before. on a side note, we were in txp with a pt this afternoon. the street she lives on isnt the best in the area, as we turned the corner, there were a few subjects standing on the side of the street. a smaller truck pulled up and rolled down the window, there was some sort of exchange between driver and passenger, this all happening while we are not 2 feet from them. my partner went to hit the air horn button to get them to move so we could turn on the street (the way they were parked we couldnt turn on the pt's street) i caught her hand before she hit the air horn button so as not to piss them off. thats really the way i handle all situations like this one, there really isnt a way for us to not drive up on this stuff, so i just turn my head, dont make eye contact and keep moving. this probably should have gone in the story thread, but it was sorta related to this. right now im actually just waiting to turn in my two weeks, one of the supervisors at the company i work for now is leaving to start a new 3rd party company from the ground up, with 8 brand new trucks (the money guy left today to purchase more), brand new offices, brand new everything. she has asked me and my partner to work for her as supervisors. i immediatly accepted. the area is better too, so i wont have to worry about it anymore. wish me luck with the new company.

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
I worked in an area like that... My partner (MedicStudentJon) bought body armor to wear while there. I ribbed him about it as did many others, but we all understood why he got it. I helped explain how to wear/use it. I don't feel that I need it, but still, I may get it to wear on duty.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by PArescueEMT@Jan 8 2005, 11:33 PM
I worked in an area like that... My partner (MedicStudentJon) bought body armor to wear while there. I ribbed him about it as did many others, but we all understood why he got it. I helped explain how to wear/use it. I don't feel that I need it, but still, I may get it to wear on duty.
Yeah, as I sit and type, I'm wearing mine. Yeah, it may seem a little much, but I feel a little more comfortable wearing it when I run 911 in the lovley town I run it at, or when I work downtown. I don't always wear it, but usually do when working nights.

It is a little uncomfortable, but I think its worth the discomfort. I've had calls go south on me, and it also helps provide some blunt-force protection and SOME protection against knives, etc. (yes, not alot, but it does take effort to slice through kevlar.

Jon

emtbuff

Forum Captain
This is interesting to see all your points on body armor. I can say that the two years that I have been an EMTB in our small town we haven't had any life threats to our squad members from shotings or knives. I know that there is always the first time but I will take my chances.
Our body armor that we use is the police officers. As we have two on duty at all times and all of our police officers are at least first Responder trained and alot of times they are already at the house have checked out what the problem is. They then come and greet us fill us in alittle and help the driver get the cot out of the rig. They are also pretty hands on in moving our patients for us to especially if we have pretty much all females in the rig except for our driver. Alot of times the driver and them will move the patient carry them out of the house and help put the cot in the rig. It is really nice to work with our police officers because They know what they are doing they often step back and view the scene of a person that fell and what the might of hit. So I feel pretty safe where I live.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
This has been discussed here before, and here is the thread if you'd like to read those comments.

Body Armor/Bullet Proof Vests

I own body armor, and used to wear it religiously at my previous job. I've worn it on a few high risk EMS calls, too, if I had the time to put it on before hand.

OP
OP
D

daemonicusxx

Forum Lieutenant
i might start to sound like one of those guys that has all the tools in one pocket or another, what do you call them? whackers? johnny trauma? i cant remember, but just a minuite ago i went to a page that had some body armor geared specifically for the EMT. i wear the concealible type, you cant really tell when im wearing it or not. but they have some carriers that you wear on the outside of your uniform, the one i saw had EMS printed on the front and back in the biggest white letters ive ever seen, so as to identify you as someone other than law enforcement. i still believe that you should stage for all calls that even remotley sound like they could go bad. it dosent hurt to have PD on scene. but as a third party, we dont have that luxury, so we make do with what we got, and use our common sense.

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Let's see, body armor, I have and wore Class IIIA on certain calls, would I wear it every day, probably not, I don't see that the risk justifies the inconvenience. That said, I prefer an external carrier for the vest, and you just keep it on or behind your seat in the rig, so it's handy for those calls, i.e. DV/GSW/Stab/Gang/Assault or if you're dispatched to a less than safe area/neighborhood. To counter the "scene safe" arguement, no scene is ever safe, any determined attack will target you, as you are nullifying his work. Unless there is a wall of cops, so that you can't be seen through the gaps, or the cops have found the attacker (assuming there aren't multiple attackers) you're risking your life, plan accordingly. But it is a personal decision, but I've also carried a weapon in a concealed holster during shift, because in my opinion the risk justified it, but once again, know the risks, and decide for yourself.