BLS skill maintenance

Midazzled

Forum Crew Member
I occasionally help out with EMT skill labs as an instructor. I am not by any means a professional educator, but I love teaching when I do it. And I usually learn something.

Anyway, last night, I was fumbling with a traction splint, which was very embarassing, and I realized I don't always remember things as well as I think I do. It wasn't the same type as my agency uses, but it was the model I used when I did NREMT-B.

I can see a variety of skills and devices where this could occur, such as "my agency doesn't have that one" , "we don't use that on many calls", "that gets done before I get there", or "my EMT partner usually does that".

So, ALS providers: what are you doing to keep up with EMT skills? I want to be able to perform at the "textbook" level, not just the "get it done" level, and do so while speaking to a group.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
We have a skill day one or twice a year and we have to use all of the BLS equipment and show competency with all the skills.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
We hire a lot of green EMTs and they have to show competency with all this. Which really turns into the shift trying to remember how things like a traction splint or the SKED works.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I have been teaching skills for an EMT program for 5 years now so my BLS skills stay pretty sharp. I'm allowed to get out any equipment I want so I will also keep my ALS skills sharp. Also I get a staff parking pass for the college which is a huge plus.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I used to love to randomly making my trainees break out the traction splint on my partner at posts out of the blue, particularly the arrogant paramedic interns.

Ironically enough, the EMT's often showed them up on this skill, imagine that:cool:.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I have been teaching skills for an EMT program for 5 years now so my BLS skills stay pretty sharp. I'm allowed to get out any equipment I want so I will also keep my ALS skills sharp. Also I get a staff parking pass for the college which is a huge plus.

You just love bringing up that parking spot... I used to be a skills instructor at the local JC when they had a EMT program. Same as my pal DesertMedic. I am allowed to used whatever equipment I want. Since the local college no longer has a EMT program there has been a noticeable lack of ability to use equipment that I don't normally use. Like traction splints per say.

Perhaps show up early one day before the class starts so you can go over some of the equipment that you don't normally use or you company doesn't use.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
ALS providers: what are you doing to keep up with EMT skills? I want to be able to perform at the "textbook" level, not just the "get it done" level, and do so while speaking to a group.
Perhaps show up early one day before the class starts so you can go over some of the equipment that you don't normally use or you company doesn't use.
This^^^. Op, if you want to master any skill you need to do it until you're comfortable, then do it an infinite amount of times more. Tired yet? Do it some more. Bored yet? Do it some more.

Bottom line is a little initiative goes a long way. Many people do just enough to get by, obviously this applies to many things in life.

Many of the experienced providers I know practice "textbook skills" even still. The better ones realize that the term "mastery" yields complacency, so as @CALEMT pointed out, showing up early and practicing will probably help you get it down.

Bonus points: when it actually needs to be performed, you'll be able to do it without breaking a sweat.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
We hire a lot of green EMTs and they have to show competency with all this. Which really turns into the shift trying to remember how things like a traction splint or the SKED works.

The SKED is a new one by me; had to look it up. Looks quite a bit more practical than a backboard. In what contexts do you use it?

OP
OP
Midazzled

Midazzled

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the replys, everyone. I'll be showing up earlier and teaching more often. I've gained access to the keys, so I don't have to wait on anyone to start pulling equipment when I show up.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
The SKED is a new one by me; had to look it up. Looks quite a bit more practical than a backboard. In what contexts do you use it?
With all due respect, the SKED isn't an EMT skill, but rather a device that an agency can use to assist in carrying a patient from an location. We don't teach it in EMT class, and most agencies don't carry them on the ambulance. But we do have one on the Rescue.

It is no different than the reeves sleeve (which is different than the reeves flexible stretcher, despite what one agency insisted on telling me), the Hartwell Combicarrier II Spineboard Scoop Stretcher, or insert you brand of powered stretcher . What about the Stretcher Auto Loader Chair. Model YXH-3E? I know of two agencies in NJ that use them, and haven't seen anyone in NC or PA that used them..... Just two, so if you never worked for either agency, you would have no clue how they work.... I know I didn't before I started, and there is definitely an adjustment period

Just because you know one device, doesn't guarantee you will know their brand of equipment. But not knowing how to use something on the ambulance doesn't make you stupid, but rather demonstrates a failure of the agency to properly orient you to their particular equipment.

After all, you might know how to use the Hare traction splint, but how proficient are you at a Sager? And more accurately, if paramedic A only uses Hare's at his agency, and has been there for 20 years, and you throw a Sager at him,, there is a good chance he will know the basics, but not how to use it as per the manufacturer's guidelines (yes, there is a manual for the Sager, I needed to find it to look how much pressure should you pull when applying traction to a patient with bilateral femur fractures), but that doesn't mean he doesn't know his job, only he doesn't know your particular equipment.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I love the Kendrick Traction Device.

Never ever want to see a Sager or Hare again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
With all due respect, the SKED isn't an EMT skill, but rather a device that an agency can use to assist in carrying a patient from an location. We don't teach it in EMT class, and most agencies don't carry them on the ambulance. But we do have one on the Rescue.

It is no different than the reeves sleeve (which is different than the reeves flexible stretcher, despite what one agency insisted on telling me), the Hartwell Combicarrier II Spineboard Scoop Stretcher, or insert you brand of powered stretcher . What about the Stretcher Auto Loader Chair. Model YXH-3E? I know of two agencies in NJ that use them, and haven't seen anyone in NC or PA that used them..... Just two, so if you never worked for either agency, you would have no clue how they work.... I know I didn't before I started, and there is definitely an adjustment period

Just because you know one device, doesn't guarantee you will know their brand of equipment. But not knowing how to use something on the ambulance doesn't make you stupid, but rather demonstrates a failure of the agency to properly orient you to their particular equipment.

After all, you might know how to use the Hare traction splint, but how proficient are you at a Sager? And more accurately, if paramedic A only uses Hare's at his agency, and has been there for 20 years, and you throw a Sager at him,, there is a good chance he will know the basics, but not how to use it as per the manufacturer's guidelines (yes, there is a manual for the Sager, I needed to find it to look how much pressure should you pull when applying traction to a patient with bilateral femur fractures), but that doesn't mean he doesn't know his job, only he doesn't know your particular equipment.

I have no idea what point you are trying to make here. Of course there are regional and agency specific pieces of equipment. That's part of the reason why we train with it with new people, they might have come from somewhere that doesn't use it. It's a funky piece of equipment to set up, and we don't use it very often (when there is no stokes available in a backcountry setting is really the only time for us). Perhaps it's not an EMT specific skill, but patient movement with the tools at hand is a basic skill that we all try to stay up on.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I have no idea what point you are trying to make here.
I was just saying, how that wasn't an EMT skill, but rather an agency specific familiarization.

Too many agencies don't properly orient their new staff to their agency specific equipment, or will go over by not ensure they can demonstrate competence before putting them on the ambulance. And don't get me started on those units that run their *** off on a regular basis, and don't have time or desire to practice with those rarely used pieces of equipment that are specific to their agency.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout

My question was meant to be read as, "Hey, that looks like a cool piece of equipment, tell me a little about it." A bit of miscommunication here.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
My question was meant to be read as, "Hey, that looks like a cool piece of equipment, tell me a little about it." A bit of miscommunication here.
I should add that we rarely use it, usually fire beats us on scene and uses their heavy fiberglass basket. I like how light it is and that it drags easily when the situation calls. And its case is a backpack, which one once you remove the 15 pound bag of lead shot to keep it stable in water, is fairly comfy. It would not be a practical tool for day to day movement, but for special situations it is quite useful.

Also it is apparently a rad toboggan.

Don't mind DrP's high horse...

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
You know, I haven't used a Hare traction splint in five years...
Makes me think I should get some practice on something other than the Sagar.

Kevinf

Forum Captain
The funny thing about last time I practiced with the traction splint was that getting it on our test subject went fine, it was trying to get it back into its case which was the hard part.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Like a dog in a bathtub.
2012-11-22 07.24.56.jpg

Like THIS dog in a bathtub:oops:.