BLS drugs

auseventmedic

Forum Crew Member
What do you have as BLS drugs where you work. In victoria Australia where i am from Ambulance Commumity Officers can give the following drugs

Adrnaline auto injector
Adranline
Asprin
Atrovent
Intranasal Fentanyl
Glucagon
Glucose gel
GTN Anginine
Methoxyflurane
Ondansetron
Oxygen
Naloxone
Paracetamole
Subutamole

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Aspirin
Oxygen
Glucose gel
Epinephrine auto injector w/ waiver
IN Naloxone w/ waiver
May provide patients their own GTN/NTG if indicated, but this is not carried by BLS
Same policy as above for metered dose inhalers

Aspirin, although allowed on BLS ambulances for nearly a year now, isn't commonly carried. This in New Jersey, US

Last edited:

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Aspirin
Oxygen
Glucose gel
Epinephrine auto injector w/ waiver
IN Naloxone w/ waiver
May provide patients their own GTN/NTG if indicated, but this is not carried by BLS
Same policy as above for metered dose inhalers

Aspirin, although allowed on BLS ambulances for nearly a year now, isn't commonly carried. This in New Jersey, US

One of the most important medications that can truly make a difference with early administration isn't commonly carried? o_O

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
One of the most important medications that can truly make a difference with early administration isn't commonly carried? o_O
I think the fact that it didn't make its way onto BLS ambulances until LATE-2015 is more amazing. Before, EMTs were able to assist patients with their own ASA, but there was none in our bags or trucks. I dunno, it sounds fantastic, but I'm still a newcomer to the field. Maybe there was a reason.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I think the fact that it didn't make its way onto BLS ambulances until LATE-2015 is more amazing. Before, EMTs were able to assist patients with their own ASA, but there was none in our bags or trucks. I dunno, it sounds fantastic, but I'm still a newcomer to the field. Maybe there was a reason.

I can't think of many good reasons to not allow it! Not your fault obviously, but that's really scary that it took so long to put it on the ambulances (and that it's still not even on all of them!)

Jdog

Forum Crew Member
Disclaimer: I work for an IFT BLS company in Orange County, California. On the rig, we have and can administer if indicated:
  • Oxygen
  • Oral Glucose (However, we cannot check blood sugars unless ordered to by a paramedic)
And can assist patients with their own:
  • Nitroglycerin
  • Aspirin
  • Epinephrine
  • Albuterol Metered Dose Inhalers or Nebulizers
But we do not carry the above 4 on the rig.

OceanBossMan263

Forum Crew Member
New York (Nassau County specifically)

Administration:
-Oxygen
-Oral Glucose (glucometry is a BLS skill)
-Aspirin
-Epinephrine (IM)*
-Naloxone (IN)
* Auto-Injector (Epi-Pen), but the State is also in a pilot program for training EMTs to draw up and do the IM injection. Big time cost savings, although currently the Auto-Injector is still required to be on the ambulance

Assist/Medical Control:
-Nitroglycerin
-Albuterol, nebulized

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
In LA County as an EMT I can carry and administer oxygen, oral glucose and aspirin (but we don't carry glucometers, and can only use them under ALS direction, and we don't actually stock aspirin on the ambulance because....reasons?)

Can assist patients with taking their own prescribed nitroglycerin, bronchodilator inhaler or nebulizer, and epinephrine auto injectors.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
BLS doesn't mean the same thing in all areas. As a Primary Care Paramedic (PCP) I'm a BLS provider in Ontario. My length of education is two years of college. In terms of drugs I carry:
- ASA
- Nitro
- Epi 1:1000 (IM or neb)
- Salbutamol
- Glucagon IM
- D50
- Acetaminophen and ibuprofen PO
- Keterolac IV/IM
- Gravol IV/IM
- Diphenhydramine IV/IM

SpecialK

Forum Captain
We don't really have "BLS"; the only time I have seen that term used is in the NZRC guidelines referring to CPR and using an AED for OOHCA.

Our lowest practice level is that of Emergency Medical Technician. It is a one year Diploma or the first 18 months of the BHSc Degree.

They can administer the following drugs:

Oxygen
Entonox
Methoxyflurane
Salbutamol
Ipratropium
Paracetamol
Ibuprofen
Aspirin
Adrenaline IM, IN and neb
Glucose gel
Glucagon IM
Ceftriaxone IM
GTN spray
Tramadol
Prednisone
Loratadine

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
EMTs in my part of Colorado:
Oxygen
Aspirin
Oral Glucose
Charcoal
Albuterol (nebulizer or patient's MDI)
IV insertion and crystalloid fluids
IV and/or IN Narcan
IV Dextrose
IV or ODT Zofran
EpiPens and Epi 1:1000 IM with waiver
IO insertion with waiver
Assist with patient's NTG up to three doses

SpecialK

Forum Captain
I've noticed quite a few of these lists do not include pain relief, and/or salbutamol, and/or adrenaline and/or glucagon. Bit concerning.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I've noticed quite a few of these lists do not include pain relief, and/or salbutamol, and/or adrenaline and/or glucagon. Bit concerning.
Locally at least, that's what ALS is for :p (County requires at least one ALS unit respond to every 911 call). Most of the local FD's simply use dual medic ambulances for every 911 call.

Alan L Serve

Forum Captain
We don't really have "BLS"; the only time I have seen that term used is in the NZRC guidelines referring to CPR and using an AED for OOHCA.

Our lowest practice level is that of Emergency Medical Technician. It is a one year Diploma or the first 18 months of the BHSc Degree.

They can administer the following drugs:

Oxygen
Entonox
Methoxyflurane
Salbutamol
Ipratropium
Paracetamol
Ibuprofen
Aspirin
Adrenaline IM, IN and neb
Glucose gel
Glucagon IM
Ceftriaxone IM
GTN spray
Tramadol
Prednisone
Loratadine

I am curious if you carry any Ampicillin or Gentamicin? Combo Ceft + Amp or Gent covers most bugs while Ceft alone doesn't.

SpecialK

Forum Captain
I am curious if you carry any Ampicillin or Gentamicin? Combo Ceft + Amp or Gent covers most bugs while Ceft alone doesn't.

We do not carry gentamicin but it is being explored, particularly for urosepsis. Next CPGs update in later this year so will be interesting to see what happens.

wxemt

Forum Probie
Oxygen
ASA
Patent assist with NTG
Epi-Pen
Oral Glucose
I'M Glucogon
Patient assist inhaler

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
In New Mexico:
Narcan
Ntg
Asa
Apap
O2
Albuterol (non mdi)
Atrovent (non mdi)
Epi 1:1000 (provider drawn up and epipen)
Charcoal
Oral glucose

I think that's it. In Texas it depends on the medical director

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Kern County California:

ADMINISTER:
Oxygen
Oral Glucose
Asprin
Narcan
Epinephrine
Atropine/Pralidoxime Chloride

ASSIST
Nitroglycerin
PCA Pump
Metered Dose Inhalers

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
BLS doesn't mean the same thing in all areas. As a Primary Care Paramedic (PCP) I'm a BLS provider in Ontario. My length of education is two years of college. In terms of drugs I carry:
- ASA
- Nitro
- Epi 1:1000 (IM or neb)
- Salbutamol
- Glucagon IM
- D50
- Acetaminophen and ibuprofen PO
- Keterolac IV/IM
- Gravol IV/IM
- Diphenhydramine IV/IM

Forgot to put narcan on that list. Probably because I've never once used it. Opiates aren't the drug of choice in my area.

TrueNorthMedic

Forum Crew Member
In Saskatchewan, Canada:
Nitroglycerin SL
Epi 1:1000 IM
ASA
Salbutamol
Ipratropium
D50W
Glucagon
Oral glucose
Acetaminophen