BLS and ACLS guidelines... what would you change?

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
As many of you know, the BLS guidelines will be updated in October. Hopefully it will bring a positive change to out of hospital cardiac arrest survival. But I figured it would be interesting to see what you guys would do if given the opportunity to modify the guidelines.
So... lets say you have a voice in the writing of the AHA's new CPR and ECC guidelines. You may modify any guideline you like (BLS for HCP, ACLS, PALS, even lay responder CPR/AED.) What would you change?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Continuous compressions, SGA placed by BLS. No transport for any arrest other than refractory VF/VT or cold water submersion. Work every arrest on scene until ROSC or termination.

I mean, really... It's all about compressions and early defib.

We screw up more arrests by mucking about with ET tubes and meds. It should be a focus on good, 100% full on BLS resuscitation untold ROSC or termination. Then we can start the ALS (if it's warranted).

avdrummerboy

Forum Lieutenant
I would emphasize and I believe that this is the way that it's going, B-L-S interventions above all else, good quality compressions and early defibrillation are what will matter! Also, what was said above sums it up quite nicely

OP
OP
redundantbassist

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
Continuous compressions, SGA placed by BLS. No transport for any arrest other than refractory VF/VT or cold water submersion. Work every arrest on scene until ROSC or termination.

We screw up more arrests by mucking about with ET tubes and meds. It should be a focus on good, 100% full on BLS resuscitation untold ROSC or termination. Then we can start the ALS (if it's warranted).
Agreed. It has also been shown that there is a lower survival rate with a longer perishock pause, so I would emphasize compressions while an aed is charging for BLS.

jwk

Forum Captain

Hmmm, you may not get ROSC without as least some ALS measures. Clearly good, uninterrupted BLS with early defib is the emphasis, but it's not everything in every case.

It will be very interesting seeing what changes come down in October - right after I renew my ACLS in September. :)

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmmm, you may not get ROSC without as least some ALS measures.

The goal shouldn't be ROSC alone, the goal ought to be survival to neurologically intact discharge, though, and even the 2010 guidelines (the highlights to the 2010 ECC guidelines, see pg. 15) say "[t]here is no definitive clinical evidence that early intubation or drug therapy improves neurologically intact survival to hospital discharge." Then again, at least ALS care doesn't (if done subordinate to good CPR & defibrillation) cause harm...unlike our other old soon to be gone standby SMR...

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief

Some places around here already have compressions only by BLS except in kids/drownings/etc.

Would you transport a multisystem multitrauma patient in full arrest, or work on scene delaying the trauma center? Just curious/confused.

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Would you transport a multisystem multitrauma patient in full arrest, or work on scene delaying the trauma center? Just curious/confused.
Depends on whether you think the cause of the cardiac arrest is correctable. You describe a situation that is very likely to be observed in blunt trauma w/ significant energy transfer (unbelted car crash, high falls).

This thread touched on this: http://emtlife.com/threads/trauma-codes-to-work-or-not.41343/

NomadicMedic

Some places around here already have compressions only by BLS except in kids/drownings/etc.

No and no. I don't work or transport obvious trauma arrests.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

The vast majority of trauma arrests should never make it to the ambulance, much less a trauma center.

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN

MackTheKnife

Because it's expensive and Lidocaine works just as well? Maybe?
Thanx. Never used amiodarone. Used Lidocaine and it worked great. Back in the day (80's), we had Bretylol as a secondary.

NomadicMedic

Thanx. Never used amiodarone. Used Lidocaine and it worked great. Back in the day (80's), we had Bretylol as a secondary.

Yep. However, the elves that worked in the bretylium mine all went on strike and that was the end of that.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Maybe short the cycle of updating this stuff? Get rid of the ACLS/PALS cards all together and just teach updated practices as they come along. Possibly get rid of Epi. SGA as front line airway control

and my favorite, hands on defib!

NomadicMedic

Maybe short the cycle of updating this stuff? Get rid of the ACLS/PALS cards all together and just teach updated practices as they come along. Possibly get rid of Epi. SGA as front line airway control

The whole thing is a money grab from the AHA. Pointless that NREMT requires this stuff.

MackTheKnife

I'm looking forward to the IV single-malt Scotch for acute DTs.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief

Love it. +1,000 internets for you, sir.

In all seriousness, this is totally the way to go. Can't help but wonder if there's any evidence for a need for active practitioners to recert these merit badges every couple of years...