Blood Pressure Cuffs & Stethoscopes?

JaredM

Forum Ride Along
I'm going to be attending EMT academy in a couple of months and wanted to get some advice on what blood pressure cuff and stethoscope to buy. I don't want to buy cheap ones just to train with and have to buy others for when I'm on scene. I was looking at the Littman Cardiologist Stethoscopes, but I'm not really sure about blood pressure cuff brands. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Much respect and thanks, Jared Mix

JPINFV

Gadfly
Are these items required for your EMS class?

OP
OP
J

JaredM

Forum Ride Along
Yes, they require us to have these items before entering into class.

kecpercussion

Forum Lieutenant
Littman will be best. i had a littman for my classes and i still use it on my job. in reality there are no "bad" stethoscopes, only better ones. Don't waste your money on a really good one

kecpercussion

Forum Lieutenant
I think prestige is the best cuff for sure. I'm pretty sure you can just order them on galls.com or a medical supply store if there is one near you

JPINFV

Gadfly
Any blood pressure cuff would work. If you have the money to spend, Welch Allyn has a really nice set of Tycos trigger grip where you change between cuff sizes via a port on the cuff. If you want to spend the money, I definately suggest getting a hand andriod (gauge is in handle) with a trigger grip.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
I got me a $20 Sprague works great

Littman and Master Cardio and whatnot are nice but not like I need to be listening to heart murmurs

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Your best bet:
http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=6096
Or Mr. Cs description:
There are innumerable stethoscope threads, all saying largely the same thing. I'll break it down by certification level:
Student/below EMT-B: Take what you're given, and wait a bit before buying anything.
EMT-B or equivalent: How clearly do you need to hear those Korotkoff sounds? Get something reasonably-priced. I use an ADC ADSCOPE 630 which cost me about $30. It's heavier and slightly less comfortable (stiffer earpieces) than the Littmann scopes I've had a chance to use, but it's more than adequate for my needs. Littmann lightweights are also in the <$100 range. The consensus is to stay away from dual-tube (Sprague-Rappaport-style) scopes, which aren't to be confused with dual-lumen scopes.
ALS providers: Why would you be listening to my lowly opinion?
For identification, get a color that doesn't look completely ridiculous, but isn't black or navy blue. Put your name on it securely; Littmanns have tags, one poster suggested attaching an ED patient bracelet with your name on it, and there are always Sharpies (my method) and tape.

ki4mus

Forum Crew Member
idk, for agencies around here it is kind of one of those things to see who can get the best one (without crossing the gap into electroinic) [king of the same with knives and shears too...]...but still don't pay to much, you can get a very good set of ears and cuff off ebay for less than $30

trevor1189

Forum Captain
For a set of ears: I like my littmann MC Black. But, I haven't used a littmann I don't like so any of those would be my pick.

As for BP Cuff: I like this one: http://www.allheart.com/ah7301bk.html The gauge is permanently mounted on the cuff so there is no additional tubing to get all tangled up. Big plus with me when trying to get a quick pressure. I am sure I would also like one of the hand aneroids because of the same principle, just haven't had to opportunity to use one.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
For a set of ears: I like my littmann MC Black. But, I haven't used a littmann I don't like so any of those would be my pick.

As for BP Cuff: I like this one: http://www.allheart.com/ah7301bk.html The gauge is permanently mounted on the cuff so there is no additional tubing to get all tangled up. Big plus with me when trying to get a quick pressure. I am sure I would also like one of the hand aneroids because of the same principle, just haven't had to opportunity to use one.
You mean something like this: http://www.allheart.com/wa509873cb.html
I've used units like these. Reading the dial in the back of the truck is much easier than reading those dials mounted on the cuff... Much easier. Much more expensive though.

JPINFV

Gadfly
The Tycos TR-2s are nice and I've got an older set. My only complaint is that sometimes I don't get a good seal when switching between cuffs, so I have to toy with where the tubbing attaches to the handle. They've changed the design since then so that the tubing is connected to the handle and the port for changing cuff sizes is on the actual cuff. Additionally, the gold series handle is built more ruggedly than the TR-2 series.

Sizz

Forum Lieutenant
Silly question I'm sure, but do you leave these in your rigs, are they rigs assigned to you or the entire deptartment uses? Both those cuffs are nice expesially the Tycos TR-2s would hate to have everyone slopping around with them. I'm sure I'm missing something :)

JPINFV

Gadfly
At the companies that I've worked at, the rigs were assigned to a crew for that shift. So if I'm in, say, unit 75, I'm in unit 75 for that entire shift and I'll leave my equipment in the unit the entire shift. After the shift, everything gets packed up and goes home with me.

Sizz

Forum Lieutenant
At the companies that I've worked at, the rigs were assigned to a crew for that shift. So if I'm in, say, unit 75, I'm in unit 75 for that entire shift and I'll leave my equipment in the unit the entire shift. After the shift, everything gets packed up and goes home with me.

Thank you for clearing that up. I use to work with a private rural Iowa ALS unit that serviced the county, total of 6 of us who worked with the company but I swear they shared everything included those wax plugged stethoscopes. I've never owned a nice cuff, but do keep myself a nice scope for myself :)

Sizz

Forum Lieutenant

So what is in your personal jump kit so-to-say? How about everyone else what do you bring with you and take home per shifts(other than basic scissors, mini light etc?

Just curious

JPINFV

Gadfly
My 'personal' jump kit?

DVDs, laptop (DVD player before that), a good book, personal stethoscope (DRG Pure Tone), and Tycos BP cuff. I'll supply non-disposiable equipment that makes my job easier. Outside of that, it's the company's job to supply everything