Blood doping

Achilles

Forum Moron
I was reading some articles regarding blood doping and how it could be used to get oxygenated blood into the vascular system. The article stated that a complete airway block was the cause and that blood doping gave animals an extra 15-30 minutes if survival w/o a single breath.
Question:
Could this theoretically work in humans?
Have you ever seen/ heard of this being done in humans?
What would be some of the consequences (short and long term)
Could this possibly work for all age groups? (Infant, peds, adults, geriatric Pt's)

Here's the article
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/06/120627142512.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Achilles

Achilles

Forum Moron
Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
The sort of article published to try to create demand so corporate customers can be found.

After I embarrassed myself in '94 telling someone type 1 diabetes was on the way out due to a magazine article (Scientific American, I believe, about mice getting stem cells for Islets of Langerhaans) I wait for the human studies first.

Rialaigh

Forum Asst. Chief
I was thinking could be useful in anaphylactic shock to keep someone oxygenated enough to let some epi kick in. I think the uses are to few honestly to make this any sort of real tool.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I was thinking could be useful in anaphylactic shock to keep someone oxygenated enough to let some epi kick in. I think the uses are to few honestly to make this any sort of real tool.

Epi kicks in QUICKLY if the pt is still circulating.

Many uses in disasters and rural/frontier situations, war, people with religious issues against blood transfusions. Not to mention performance enhancement (mostly psychological there).