Black sneakers to wear with cargo pants for hospital rotation

NuclearCherry

Forum Ride Along
I'm currently in a paramedic class, and as part of this class we're required to complete extensive clinical hours within hospital emergency departments (upwards of 250 hours just in the hospital over the next 9 months). We're permitted to wear whatever closed toe footwear we want for these rotations, but the only requirement is that your shoes have to be black. We're still required to wear our clinical uniforms, however, which are the same uniforms that we wear out in the field (navy blue cargo/tactical pants). It can get pretty tiring wearing steel-toes for 8-12 hours straight when you're on your feet the whole time, so I'm looking for something more comfortable for these shifts, but I'm struggling to find a pair that won't look ridiculous when worn with the cargo pants (would getting a regular pair of Nike sneakers look dumb with them?). Does anyone have any suggestions for what I should look into?

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Get a pair of boots without steel toes. They will be comfortable, but any decent pair of shoes or boots is going to cost a bit if they are worth it.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I agree about trying boots without steel toes. "Diehard" worked for me -- comfortable, rugged and inexpensive. I think I got them at Sears.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I just went to Walmart and got a pair of $10 running type shoes. I wanted a cheap option that I could just toss if I needed to. I didn’t want to wear my normal running shoes that cost a lot more to clinicals.

Boots tend to be heavy and not allow your feet to breath do things get hot and sweaty.

Whatever you decide to do make sure that you break the shoe/boot in prior to your first shift or else your feet will hate you.

Kevinf

Forum Captain