Bizarre pupil

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I've been meaning to ask this, and one of the scenarios just reminded me. What could cause a patient to develop an oblong pupil with an irregular border? I saw this on a stroke call recently. The family didn't speak much English, but they seemed to be telling us that it wasn't normal for the patient.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Cataracts, cataract surgery...quick response I am sure there are more reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Are you asking about a blown pupil?

Aniscoria(unequal pupils) is estimated to occur normally in about twenty percent of the population.

Contusion of the oculomotor nerve causes a dilated pupil. The patient will also have ptosis and adduction paresis, causing lateral deviation of the eye due to unopposed cranial nerve IV.

Any injury to the midbrain may cause loss of pupillary response, irregularly shaped pupils, or asymmetric pupil size.

Sometimes in people who are near sighted, iris can lose its pigment as it rubs on the lens and its zonules, called pigment dispersion. This can cause pupil irregularities that are only noticed at certain times and may be subtle.

A number of pathophysiologies and congenital defects in the ciliary muscles can also cause asymetrical pupils.

HuiNeng

Forum Probie
feline iris abnormality

Viral infection in cats can cause a wavy iris. My tomcat has one iris that won't close properly. The edges of the iris are buckled. Don't know if humans have similar viral infections.

OP
OP
S

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Thanks, everyone!

I'd only call it blown for lack of a better word. For lack of a better comparison, it was shaped like a football or goat's pupil, and only a bit larger than I'd expect for the room lighting. It wasn't perfectly centered. None of these were subtle at all. The other pupil was pinpoint and regular, and both were fixed. He was in pretty bad shape overall, so we noted the pupil abnormality but focused on the more concerning symptoms. Given that it was a stroke call, weird pupils weren't really out of place--it was more the type and degree of weirdness that made me wonder about the mechanism.

Hal9000

Forum Captain
Thanks, everyone!

I'd only call it blown for lack of a better word. For lack of a better comparison, it was shaped like a football or goat's pupil, and only a bit larger than I'd expect for the room lighting. It wasn't perfectly centered. None of these were subtle at all. The other pupil was pinpoint and regular, and both were fixed. He was in pretty bad shape overall, so we noted the pupil abnormality but focused on the more concerning symptoms. Given that it was a stroke call, weird pupils weren't really out of place--it was more the type and degree of weirdness that made me wonder about the mechanism.

I once cut my eye open, and it started "leaking out" for lack of a better phrase. This process quickly caused it to become shaped like a domestic cat's pupil. Thankfully, some quick emergency work and a month of recovery fixed everything, and I still have 20/20. Kinda freaky, but it didn't hurt, which is odd to me.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I was about to say severe pressure derangements or trauma/surgery can cause the pupil to change shape. I've only seen it a couple of times in live victims to be quite honest.

Kinda freaky, but it didn't hurt, which is odd to me.

That's because the eyeball itself (at least the forward part) lacks significant pain receptors. The brain is similar in this respect.

Hal9000

Forum Captain
That's because the eyeball itself (at least the forward part) lacks significant pain receptors. The brain is similar in this respect.

I don't recall covering pain response in the eye in college, which is odd now that I think about it. I know that corneal abrasions can cause a lot of pain, but I don't remember any from this episode. A piece of plastic popped off and hit me from a new item I had purchased, and if landed almost directly over my pupil. It cut the cornea right open and the iris prolapsed.

Seeing this in person is very interesting, but I imagine also somewhat rare.

OP
OP
S

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I can't say I remember pain in the eye ever being covered in college, either. Interesting subject. Will need to look it up.

From what we could get out of the family, it sounded like he'd been alone for awhile before anyone realized his condition. I suppose he could've injured it during that time, although it seems like a bit of a stretch.

This process quickly caused it to become shaped like a domestic cat's pupil.

You fixed it, when anime geeks and goths alike would kill to naturally look like that? :p

RyanMidd

Forum Lieutenant
I have to admit that when I saw the name of this thread, I thought it was going to be about the quirks of a weird classmate of yours.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
If it is normal for the patient, it could be a benign congenital abnormality known as a coloboma.

OP
OP
S

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
If it is normal for the patient, it could be a benign congenital abnormality known as a coloboma.

Thanks! Just looked that up. Could've been... the family seemed to indicate otherwise, but we had some language issues there, so who knows.