Beyond frustrated with NREMT-P

Tk11

Forum Captain
I'm not blaming NREMT for my failures, there's NO reason I should be failing anything but boy this is trusting. I failed the written first attempt have not reschuled yet. Today I took the practial, well that went awful. I was so nervous during the out of hospital scenario (which should've been the easy part) I couldn't think straight and was drawing up wrong doses of drug and it was all turning bad so I asked if we could just stop because I wasn't in the right of mind and just messing everything up.

Anyway that was the last station I did, I was told my results, obviously I failed that for walking out I thought I had did horrible in everything else I thought I had failed them all but turns out I only failed dynamic cardiology and I know the mistake I made on that but passed everything else. I was told it'll be up to registry wether I only retest the two or take all 6 stations over again. I'm just beyond frustrated and having thoughts of maybe I shouldn't be doing this work if I can't pass anything. Any advice on how to stay calm? I was way more nervous during that whole thing than the written more nervous I've ever been while testing, and the thing is nothing about any of the stations are anything I'd consider "hard" just nerve wracking for me and I'm beyond frustrated with myself.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm not blaming NREMT for my failures, there's NO reason I should be failing anything but boy this is trusting. I failed the written first attempt have not reschuled yet. Today I took the practial, well that went awful. I was so nervous during the out of hospital scenario (which should've been the easy part) I couldn't think straight and was drawing up wrong doses of drug and it was all turning bad so I asked if we could just stop because I wasn't in the right of mind and just messing everything up.

Anyway that was the last station I did, I was told my results, obviously I failed that for walking out I thought I had did horrible in everything else I thought I had failed them all but turns out I only failed dynamic cardiology and I know the mistake I made on that but passed everything else. I was told it'll be up to registry wether I only retest the two or take all 6 stations over again. I'm just beyond frustrated and having thoughts of maybe I shouldn't be doing this work if I can't pass anything. Any advice on how to stay calm? I was way more nervous during that whole thing than the written more nervous I've ever been while testing, and the thing is nothing about any of the stations are anything I'd consider "hard" just nerve wracking for me and I'm beyond frustrated with myself.
Unless something has changed, or you requesting a station ends has an affect. Registry will allow you to just test those two stations. You should have been able to retest them that day if time allowed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Tk11

Forum Captain
Unless something has changed, or you requesting a station ends has an affect. Registry will allow you to just test those two stations. You should have been able to retest them that day if time allowed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
I believe I could have but I was very frustrated and not thinking right I told them I would just come back. I don't think doing it again the same day would have been a good idea. But I was told since I walked out that I failed, which I knew, and that it'll be up to registry. So hopefully it's just the two? I know my mistake on cardiology and for the scenario, nerves got to me and I wasn't clear minded. We'll see I guess.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Plenty of people slip up on that stuff, don't sweat it. You know what you did wrong. Fix it, move on.

It gets easier as you do it. Honestly, I would probably be more nervous walking into a test right now than if an arrest we're to drop right now simply because they nitpick. I would probably screw up having to verbalize EVERYTHING because I just don't need to do that cookie cutter stuff anymore. You know what to do, just do it.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
You can literally delegate out all meds and skills to your professional paramedic partner. I just finished testing testing for my local medic program and out of the 18 students who tested only 2 of them started the IV themselves and only 1 gave the medication themselves. Every single other student delegated those skills out (which is allowed and completely stupid) to their partner (who was me). So I got 16 IV starts and I wasn’t even being tested.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
It seems like every week or two we see a similar message about failing the NREMT test.

I'm not going to tell you how to study, prepare, or review, there are many threads that can point you in the right direction.

The test doesn't measure how smart you are, not does it measure your ability to be a successful practitioner. It's a test, only a test.

Focus on areas you need to work on, improve, and then re-take the test. If you fail multiple times, take a refresher course and take it again.

Good luck!

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I believe I could have but I was very frustrated and not thinking right I told them I would just come back. I don't think doing it again the same day would have been a good idea. But I was told since I walked out that I failed, which I knew, and that it'll be up to registry. So hopefully it's just the two? I know my mistake on cardiology and for the scenario, nerves got to me and I wasn't clear minded. We'll see I guess.
Real talk: how are you going to function on a call when things go south (and they do), when the answer is to walk away?

Medic27

Forum Lieutenant
You can literally delegate out all meds and skills to your professional paramedic partner. I just finished testing testing for my local medic program and out of the 18 students who tested only 2 of them started the IV themselves and only 1 gave the medication themselves. Every single other student delegated those skills out (which is allowed and completely stupid) to their partner (who was me). So I got 16 IV starts and I wasn’t even being tested.
Really? You can delegate the skills like that?