Better Patient Communication

Peter Comeau

Forum Ride Along
Just started my clinical rotations for my EMT course here in NYC and after a few tours I have come to realize that my ability to communicate with patients effectively and confidently could be better. The course I'm taking requires us to perform all sorts of different treatments prior to graduation (vitals, oxygen therapy via BVM, albuterol via nebulizer, CPR etc.) I want to be able to perform these treatments with confidence and I feel good communication with the patient is key. Any advice on how to be a good communicator? Or is it something that will just come with more experience?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Experience and practice will solidify your basic competencies, which will pretty much solve your other worries. Don't fall behind.

Tip: Make a plan and tell the patient that plan. Keep in mind to just tell the person in front of you what's up and what you are going to do to make their day better, even if it's just telling them we're going to get into the ambulance and take a drive.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Tip: Make a plan and tell the patient that plan. Keep in mind to just tell the person in front of you what's up and what you are going to do to make their day better, even if it's just telling them we're going to get into the ambulance and take a drive.
This, op...this. I still do this. I will explain what I am doing, and/ or why I am doing it. The patient will appreciate it, it will help strengthen you communication skills (and rapport), and it gives your partner a heads up on your treatment plan.

Also, the article @DEmedic posted is an insightful read regardless of your end goal.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Man if I am communicating with a patient during CPR I am gonna be so darn weirded out.

All jokes aside, keep them updated on what you are doing. Or little ice breakers. What'd ya do for a living? Cardinals baseball, or Blues hockey now that baseball season is done. That weather outside. Whatever.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Man if I am communicating with a patient during CPR I am gonna be so darn weirded out.

All jokes aside, keep them updated on what you are doing. Or little ice breakers. What'd ya do for a living? Cardinals baseball, or Blues hockey now that baseball season is done. That weather outside. Whatever.

We have a CPR awareness SOC. It happens every now and again with the Lucas.

Lots of ketamine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
OP, on the skills, just do them until you have them 100% down. Make sure to understand every part - and the A&P behind them (it makes it a lot easier to understand the process if you know the "why").

Communication can be hard, but openness and frankness go a long way.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
Any advice on how to be a good communicator

Aside from what others have said, take a Psych class or two. Psych 1 + 41 will give you a very broad insight into the human mind, with Psych 1 being more general and Psych 41 strictly developmental. One of the things you'll learn is how different age groups respond to the same stimuli.

OP
OP
P

Peter Comeau

Forum Ride Along
Aside from what others have said, take a Psych class or two. Psych 1 + 41 will give you a very broad insight into the human mind, with Psych 1 being more general and Psych 41 strictly developmental. One of the things you'll learn is how different age groups respond to the same stimuli.
Interesting, definitely will look into that.

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
Pretty much what's already been said. I will add to keep the medical jargon to a minimum. Try to explain things in plain English not medicalese. The best way to break the ice would be so ask, "So, Yankees or Mets?"

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I hear ya, but the OP is in NYC so it's guaranteed to start something, either a conversation or a fight.:cool:
Yeah, I'm just havin' a bit of fun. Don't mind me, I had to watch my guys get devoured in their own backyard last night:(.

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
Dem Bums' indeed.

12055231814_fd8a8a0ce1_b.jpg