Best Florida Paramedic Program

markmn

Forum Ride Along
Hello All,

I am from Minnesota and considering pursuing a paramedic degree in the state of Florida. In addition, I will attend a fire academy since my final goal is to become a firefighter in the state of Florida around the Port Orange/Orlando area. I will earn my EMT-B this summer in MN.

My questions: What is the best paramedic program in the central Florida area?

In addition, what is the best firefighter program in the central Florida area (I realize this is an EMS forum but if anyone has an opinion I would be thankful for some feedback)?

I have searched and read through most of the posts on this forum and it seems that in order to be competitive as a new firefighter it would be best to get my paramedic.

Does everyone agree with this?

I am more interested in fighting fires then the EMS however I would imagine that I could give significantly better patient care with the greater amount of knowledge I would gain in paramedic school.

Thanks for any feedback. It is greatly appreciated!

Mark

firecoins

IFT Puppet
My questions: What is the best paramedic program in the central Florida area?
you can take medic program anywhere as long as you get the NREMT-P.

I have searched and read through most of the posts on this forum and it seems that in order to be competitive as a new firefighter it would be best to get my paramedic. Does everyone agree with this?
whether we agree or not, it is in fact the case.

I am more interested in fighting fires then the EMS however I would imagine that I could give significantly better patient care with the greater amount of knowledge I would gain in paramedic school.
Does a bear it in the wood? Also you will spend most of your time doing EMS over firefighting.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Florida does not use the NREMT-P for testing. It has it's own state exam.

Florida is full of expensive Medic Mills which are mostly unaccredited although still accepted at this time by the state of Florida.

Florida has many community colleges that offer both the degree and certificate program for Paramedic at a reasonable cost. You can find a list of the on Florida's EMS website.

Many of these colleges also have either an entry level FF academy and/or degree program for Fire science.

There are also a couple other options for the FF academy in central Florida that you can research.

Many FDs in Florida do want their FFs to be EMT-P at least initially or within the first year. You may not have to maintain your EMT-P cert that long if you are a career FF. EMT-B will do just fine. Most FD will tell you about this when you apply. Many FDs will rotate you to an engine once you've served your time on a med unit. Although, it may still be an ALS engine in some places.

If you want a career as a FF, you may need a degree in Fire Science. If you want the Paramedic also, choose a community college that offers both the Fire Science degree and at least the certificate in Paramedic. You may be able to use the Paramedic to fill some electives toward a Fire Science degree.

My personal opinion: I don't care if FFs know anything about IVs if they are there to save me in a burning house. I would want their training time well spent on FF techniques in case I ever have to be rescued.

Likewise, if I am having an MI, I could care less how many rope knots or ways you know to ventilate a building. I would like to know that your training time has been devoted to medical knowledge and skills.

Trying to master two very intense professions is what has lead to many arguments between Fire and EMS.

OP
OP
M

markmn

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the input

Hello Again,

Thanks for the input and advice. I appreciate it since I am trying to figure everything out.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Florida does not use the NREMT-P for testing. It has it's own state exam.
1 word = reciprocity. You can take your medic at any medic program that qualifies you to sit at the NREMT-P exam.

FL DOH said:
3. I hold NREMT certification, how do I become certified?

A. An EMT or paramedic certificate from the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians can be recognized as a professional education equivalent, provided the certificate is current and in good standing. This type of certification is recognized for individuals who have taken an EMT or paramedic course on a military installation. You are required to submit an application (pdf - 88kb) and a copy of your National Registry certificate and wallet card, as well as a Statement of Good Standing (DH Form 1164) (pdf - 95kb) completed by the National Registry.

Last edited by a moderator:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
1 word = reciprocity. You can take your medic at any medic program that qualifies you to sit at the NREMT-P exam.

A. An EMT or paramedic certificate from the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians can be recognized as a professional education equivalent, provided the certificate is current and in good standing. This type of certification is recognized for individuals who have taken an EMT or paramedic course on a military installation. You are required to submit an application (pdf - 88kb) and a copy of your National Registry certificate and wallet card, as well as a Statement of Good Standing (DH Form 1164) (pdf - 95kb) completed by the National Registry.
http://www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/EMT-Paramedic/emt-lic-requirements.html#Initial

The NR does not quarantee retroprocity in Florida. The State reserves the right to have a person sit for their State exam.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
http://www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/EMT-Paramedic/emt-lic-requirements.html#Initial

The NR does not quarantee retroprocity in Florida. The State reserves the right to have a person sit for their State exam.

Every state does that. Just be in good standing, have your certs up to date, pay the fees and you may have to sit for another exam but you can do the whole program anywhere. Your not stuck waiting to do program in FL if you can get done at your current location.

Remote Medic - Instructor

Forum Ride Along
info

In the Central Florida area there are a few options for Fire Academy. I would reccomend either Lake County http://www.laketechfireacademy.com/ as I heard it was a good academy and one of the cheapest available. There is also Mid Florida Tech's Academy http://www.fireacademy.org/history.htm which has a good reputation. I know some of the instructors there and they are good. As far as Central Florida Paramedic classes - there are many to pick from. Valencia Community College has a good class but it takes a year, like most courses. There are multiple campuses to pick from at VCC. I went to FMTI in Melbourne and took their acclerated course which is good if you learn well and are not working. That takes six months. FMTI has several campuses in Florida. Be careful there are a few unreputable schools for Paramedic that should be avoided so do some research. Best of luck, Shawn G.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
As far as Central Florida Paramedic classes - there are many to pick from. Valencia Community College has a good class but it takes a year, like most courses. There are multiple campuses to pick from at VCC. I went to FMTI in Melbourne and took their acclerated course which is good if you learn well and are not working. That takes six months. FMTI has several campuses in Florida. Be careful there are a few unreputable schools for Paramedic that should be avoided so do some research. Best of luck, Shawn G.

FMTI. http://www.fmti.edu/paramedic.htm

The tuition for the Paramedic program varies from school location. The 1,112 hour program, which includes Advanced Cardiac Life Support, Pediatric Advances Life Support and Pre- Hospital Trauma Life Support certifications. Registration fee must accompany the application to the school. The book fee payable by the first day of class. Payment Plans are available for qualified students.

Faculty at FMTI:
http://www.fmti.edu/faculty.htm

VCC
http://valencia.cc.fl.us/west/health/ems/
http://valencia.cc.fl.us/asdegrees/documents/EmergencyMedicalServicesTech07-08.pdf

reaper

Working Bum
Be careful with FMTI. The state EMS board is talking about not letting the students sit for state test. You will have to obtain your NREMT-P, then come back and take state test.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
FMTI has several campuses in Florida. Be careful there are a few unreputable schools for Paramedic that should be avoided so do some research. Best of luck, Shawn G.

HA HA HA...most ironic statement of the year!

As a paramedic instructor in Florida, one who taught as faculty at a college and as an employee for FMTI, I can not believe you would say how great FMTI is (paraphrase/imply) and then follow that with a "be careful due to unreputable schools".

As college faculty, I was allowed to fail students who did not excel. As an employee for FMTI, I was counseled for not passing enough firefighters who needed the patch for a raise. Huge difference between a for profit medic mill and a well balanced, indepth, qaulity education..preferably a degree program.

Do yourself a favor and enroll in an accredited college and complete the medic program through them. DO it right the first time and you will thank yourself later. Also remember, the state of FL will reward you with $50/month for AAS and $100/month for a bachelors degree in anything. It may not seem like a lot but if you add that money up over the course of your career in Florida, the degree will have paid for itself. Got to think big and think long term.

Since you desire a career in the fire service, having a degree will also look good for you come promotion time. Once you get hired on as a fire/medic with a degree, it will not take much effort on your part to go back and complete a degree in Fire Science as well. Now you really just anted your chances for promotion.

Good luck to you and do not shortchange yourself, your patients, or the medical profession by trying to take the shortest, fastest way out. We all will suffer if this trend continues...

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I forgot to talk about the fire academies. Mid FL Tech has a long waiting list typically.

I also recommend any of the community colleges for fire academy. I hate to say it but when it comes to firefighting, most programs are very similar. They are going to teach the same things as the state of FL is very strict on what has to be taught and what guidelines to follow. All the programs will gear you for the state written and practical.

Seminole Community College, Brevard Community College...pick any community college in any county and see what they have to offer. You may also find the tuition mroe affordable, plus if you do your degree and your fire training at the same school, that could benefit you with schoalrships, grants and loans.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Be careful with FMTI. The state EMS board is talking about not letting the students sit for state test. You will have to obtain your NREMT-P, then come back and take state test.

That already happened a couple years ago when 2 of their schools were operating without a license. One was in Miami and the other in Tallahassee. The State wanted the students to retake the paramedic program prior to sitting for the board.

All of the Florida Community Colleges are accredited by CoAEMSP and CAAHEP. I believe this is also true for all of the Florida State Technical schools. It is not true for the private "career" schools.

And, if you do go to school in Florida, here is a little clarification the State of Florida made in its newsletter today:
An ALS engine is not an ambulance.

http://ww7.doh.state.fl.us/mailman/listinfo/flemscomm

Bureau of Emergency Medical Services UpdatesFriday, May 30, 2008 10:12 AM

A Weekly Snapshot of Bureau Information and EMS Resources
Department of Health Mission: Promote, protect and improve the health of all people in Florida

Florida EMS Top News Items

1. Paramedic Field Internship on ALS Engines

2. EMSTARS Live Date Information for Charter Agencies

1. Paramedic Field Internship on ALS Engines
As a response to several inquiries made by educators regarding Paramedic field internship on ALS engines please refer to the following information:

Section 401.2701(b)2,. Florida Statute requires the field internship experience be aboard advanced life support permitted ambulance.

The statute states:
2. Paramedic programs must be available only to Florida-certified emergency medical technicians or an emergency medical technician applicant who will obtain Florida certification prior to completion of phase one of the paramedic program. Paramedic programs must be a minimum of 700 hours of didactic and skills practice components, with the skills laboratory student-to-instructor ratio not exceeding six to one. Paramedic programs must provide a field internship experience aboard an advanced life support permitted ambulance.

Section 401.23 Definitions:
(5) "Ambulance" or "emergency medical services vehicle" means any privately or publicly owned land or water vehicle that is designed, constructed, reconstructed, maintained, equipped, or operated for, and is used for, or intended to be used for, land or water transportation of sick or injured persons requiring or likely to require medical attention during transport.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Not all of us from FMTI are complete failures.......
Although 99.999999999% are.

Yay for me.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
I'm sure all ones who got their Fla Medic and are working as a FF (fast fooder:p) are providing the best patient care they can....NONE!!

ok, that was low.....:lol:

MedicSqrl

Forum Crew Member
I've heard noting but good things about Valencia CC's program. Seminole State College formerly SCC has been having issues getting ride-alongs with the fire departments. I know someone that teaches at brevard and they say its ok. All the private companies like FMTI, OMI, City College and SCC are having students ride with American Ambulance. Which is crappy IMO.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
American?
Don't they do interfacility only?!

MedicSqrl

Forum Crew Member
American?
Don't they do interfacility only?!

Technically your statement is correct. They also do "911" for the Orlando VA and technically have a 911 mutual aid with Seminole county, but only been used for 4th of July standby.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Mmhmm.
I at least got to do mine with BCFR and Rural Metro for a few tours.