Best Ambo

FF2EMT

Forum Probie
Hey whats the best Ambo Chasis/Box out there? Lets hear some imput..

medic417

The Truth Provider

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
BRUAN NW/NORTH STAR'S 163 INCH MODULE ON AN F-350 SUPER-DUTY CHASSIS WITH A 7.3 L TURBOCHARGED.

Or you can read the other thread and probably see my opinion there also!:p

41 Duck

Forum Lieutenant
Only problem is the venerable 7.3 DIT went bye-bye in the 2003 model year.

Later!

--Coop

medic417

The Truth Provider
Oops. I ment the 6.0. I guess I like the 7.3 so much that is what my ming runs on!

Actually the 6.0 is out to as it was in the shop more than on the road.

41 Duck

Forum Lieutenant
The 6.0 is a fabulous boat anchor, but a bad engine. Has no place in an emergency vehicle. And if you're going with an F series, you'll be getting the 6.4. The E's have the 6.0's and that's why we're going to a Chevy next time. My 2004 rig has left one too many PTs, one too many crews stranded on the side of the road. I'd like to use that ambulance as target practice and load development for my Garand.

Later!

--Coop

sir.shocksalot

Forum Captain
Personally I like the AEV type III Ford E-350. Or better yet if anyone has seen it, the AMR safety concept vehicle (SCV). The SCV is awesome, it has back up, hood, blind spot, and patient compartment cameras, LED emergency signals. In the back it has an indicator saying who is sitting in what seat and if they have their seatbelt on (one can debate the usefulness of this feature). It has indicators in the back to signal when the driver has his turn signals on or has applied the breaks. Has room for 2 house tanks, specialized glove cabinet, electric stretcher, and tons more. Overall just an amazing vehicle, at least for AMR standards. Ours was a GMC chassis that, in spite of being a GMC, ran very well.

OzAmbo

Forum Crew Member
Its funny you know, after having 4 decades of F trucks and GMC type vehicles fitted with "Box" on the back we have swapped almost entirely "sprinters" van's (Mercedez built, not dodge) A bit cramped in the back and not likely to tickle anybody, especially if you love abig box (pun intended ^_^) but its the safety features of the cab chasis that makes it an impressive vehicle, as well as runing costs ( i believe that mercedez actually guranteed the fuel consumption on these vehicles)

If i had to dial myself up a prang in an ambulance id put the knob in "sprinter" then hit the carnage button.

Of course, there is design standards that must be adhered to here, including integrated ROPS, stretcher and equipment mounts that must withstand 20g forward and 10g sideways movement.

I really think though that if services were interested in reducing injury, we would design ergonomic eqipment packs that destribute weight evenly and make hydraulic stretchers mandatory, as well as those stair chairs with the caterpiller track.

Of course, it will probably require someone to die here first, and as we are often treated like a commodity, it probably wont change much even after that.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I really think though that if services were interested in reducing injury, we would design ergonomic eqipment packs that destribute weight evenly and make hydraulic stretchers mandatory, as well as those stair chairs with the caterpiller track.

It seems here that with the main 911 private service using hydraulic Strykers, the number of back injuries has gone down, but wrist, shoulder, and other arm injuries has increased. I used the regular strykers and think I'd rather stick with them for anything other than an isolet transfer

paramedichopeful

Forum Lieutenant
braun superchief xl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with a stryker hydraulic stretcher and a folding stair chair!!!!! that's what my dept. Has and it's the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SES4

Forum Lieutenant
Braun all the way. I have seen and worked in various models and overall Braun makes an amazing rig.

JPINFV

Gadfly
braun superchief xl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with a stryker hydraulic stretcher and a folding stair chair!!!!! that's what my dept. Has and it's the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How would you be able to judge equipment when you're still a student and you've only worked with one set of equipment?

dmc2007

Forum Captain
Around here Lifeline and Braun are viewed very highly. Our agency heavily favored Braun until our new Lifeline arrived (Braun offered a similar product at a much higher price). From what I've heard it's among the best driving ambulances we've ever had.

firemedic7982

Forum Lieutenant
My service has always Run braun. We currently have an entire fleet of Braun Super Chief XL.

They are pretty trucks thats no doubt. However... I have to say they FAIL in the A/C dept. They just dont have it to withstand South Texas Summers.