Being a Good Partner?

CatrionaEMT

Forum Ride Along
Hi Everyone,
First some background so you guys know my situation and to introduce myself.
I am a new EMT (graduated in May of this year with a 94% class grade) and my dream was a job with AMR.

I worked really hard to achieve that goal, and in August, a few months after I put my app in and graduated, I got the job. The next struggle was the PAT - because I've ALWAYS been a really unfit person. I have horrible stamina, could barely lift more than 35 lbs, and have horrible posture, so when I'm trying to squat and get a good lift, I tend to rely on my back way too much. I failed the first physical, and I was determined to pass so I got a personal trainer for the next three weeks and went to the gym every day along with a strict diet. I passed the second time, and entered orientation. Now, I'm waiting on my FTO time... and I'm nervous to say the least. I'm also very excited, but my nerves are getting the best of me. I still struggle with lifting (anything over 85-100) and I do still work out to try and build that up, but I still use my back. I can't seem to get the squat down. Also, I feel, like even after all the training we've been given, that I'm going to disappoint or look stupid to the FTO and my future partner (whoever that may be). The one thing I genuinely wanted to do, was maybe buy a few donuts or snacks for the first day of FTO, but I don't want to come off as an *** kisser. I genuinely want to do something nice, to show my appreciation for them teaching me, because I know I can be a struggle sometimes and sometimes they may need to bear with me on a few questions (which may be totally stupid). So I guess, that's two questions:

1. Do you think donuts or snacks come across as being an *** kisser, or if I explain why I am doing the gesture that it would be taken nicely?

2. What are the three main things that make a good partner in your eyes? If there's something all of your answers have in common, I want to try hard and make a good impression.

Thank you all so much!
Catriona

VentMonkey

Family Guy
IMG_2185.GIF
1. Do you think donuts or snacks come across as being an *** kisser, or if I explain why I am doing the gesture that it would be taken nicely?
No, but wait until your training is done. The first, and most important thing you can (and something I would have appreciated in my FTO days) is come prepared to learn. Try not to take things too personally, and know that you need to have, or develop thick skin with this job.

Be open to criticism even if it doesn't always seem "constructive". ASK plenty of questions pertinent to the job at hand, not so much about them at first (you will get to know them in time).
Know that everyone in this field makes, or has made plenty of mistakes, just learn from them and try not to fret too much.

2. What are the three main things that make a good partner in your eyes? If there's something all of your answers have in common, I want to try hard and make a good impression.
Don't try so hard, BE YOURSELF. There's no one answer to this question, op. Everyone's personality is different. What I like you may not, vice versa, and so on and so on. This is totally normal.

I personally don't mind peace and quiet, and could care less about "racing the reaper" to a "good call" (also a subjective term, FWIW).

Drive with due regard, try to give your partner and patient the smoothest and most direct ride to the hospital. Admit when you're wrong, or don't know something.

What makes a good partner to me is someone I can tolerate for 12-24 hours at a time, so no obnoxious tools. Again, this is just me.

Lastly, take deep breaths, reeelaaax, you made it. Try not to focus so much on pleasing your partner, and/ or FTO. Focus on your patient. Any partner, or FTO worth their while will be pleased by this alone, and have fun.

OP
OP
CatrionaEMT

CatrionaEMT

Forum Ride Along
View attachment 3070
No, but wait until your training is done. The first, and most important thing you can (and something I would have appreciated in my FTO days) is come prepared to learn. Try not to take things too personally, and know that you need to have, or develop thick skin with this job.

Be open to criticism even if it doesn't always seem "constructive". ASK plenty of questions pertinent to the job at hand, not so much about them at first (you will get to know them in time).
Know that everyone in this field makes, or has made plenty of mistakes, just learn from them and try not to fret too much.

Don't try so hard, BE YOURSELF. There's no one answer to this question, op. Everyone's personality is different. What I like you may not, vice versa, and so on and so on. This is totally normal.

I personally don't mind peace and quiet, and could care less about "racing the reaper" to a "good call" (also a subjective term, FWIW).

Drive with due regard, try to give your partner and patient the smoothest and most direct ride to the hospital. Admit when you're wrong, or don't know something.

What makes a good partner to me is someone I can tolerate for 12-24 hours at a time, so no obnoxious tools. Again, this is just me.

Lastly, take deep breaths, reeelaaax, you made it. Try not to focus so much on pleasing your partner, and/ or FTO. Focus on your patient. Any partner, or FTO worth their while will be pleased by this alone, and have fun.

Thank you - I really appreciate your input :) I met my FTO today - and I start next friday, he seems really nice, and I think I made a good impression (I was there early and joked around with him. It seemed like he appreciated that I wasn't stiff and serious. So - thank you for the tips!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Don't listen to @VentMonkey... FTOs love doughnuts. I don't think I ever got a doughnut when I was an FTO though :(

Kidding aside, all good advice above. Be willing to learn and realize that you've got two ears and only one mouth for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief

Before I get to the question....if you suck at squats....do more squats. Seriously though, get some good leg and core strength. It really isn't too hard to lift a heavy stretcher if you have some good leg strength. That being said, save your back and break the load up unless the partner is having a bad back day or mee maw weighs 90lbs.

1. I am not an FTO, but I wouldn't care about food (although I would not say no).

2. Knowledgeable. I don't want a stupid partner (attempting to learn and blatantly ignorant are not the same). Communicates. I don't read minds, and when driving lights and sirens I appreciate it when they help navigate. Not a burnt out *******. Because they suck to be around most of the time and you have to be with them for 8-14+ hours (at my AMR location, 24's for other folks).