Be honest. Do you wear your seat belt in the back of the ambulance?

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I hopped on a random ambulance to be the medic assist for a BLS crew last night. When we were pulling into the parking lot of the hospital, the driver (whose face I never even saw) locked up the brakes and threw me across the back of the ambulance. The attendant in the back with me was standing by the drug box compartment, and I hit him battering ram style with my head and upper back, right in his abdomen/side. I guess it was better than hitting the cabinets.

This was the worst I've been thrown around ever, which makes me really lucky when I think about how much time I've spent sitting back there. The fact is, though, that I usually only wear my seat belt when I'm sitting in the captain's chair in the back, and lately I've been spending most of the transports sitting on the bench and chatting.

It was a real wake up call, and I plan to change my behavior and actually use those seatbelts. It's a PITA, and I can't see actually being able to use them when I'm actively providing care, but I think I actually qualify as irresponsible if I don't make a strong effort to strap in.

What's your general take on this? And what's the worst you've ever been thrown around in the box?

I sorta take it for granted that everyone wears seatbelts when sitting up front, but what's your story if you don't?

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
I hopped on a random ambulance to be the medic assist for a BLS crew last night. When we were pulling into the parking lot of the hospital, the driver (whose face I never even saw) locked up the brakes and threw me across the back of the ambulance. The attendant in the back with me was standing by the drug box compartment, and I hit him battering ram style with my head and upper back, right in his abdomen/side. I guess it was better than hitting the cabinets.

This was the worst I've been thrown around ever, which makes me really lucky when I think about how much time I've spent sitting back there. The fact is, though, that I usually only wear my seat belt when I'm sitting in the captain's chair in the back, and lately I've been spending most of the transports sitting on the bench and chatting.

It was a real wake up call, and I plan to change my behavior and actually use those seatbelts. It's a PITA, and I can't see actually being able to use them when I'm actively providing care, but I think I actually qualify as irresponsible if I don't make a strong effort to strap in.

What's your general take on this? And what's the worst you've ever been thrown around in the box?

I sorta take it for granted that everyone wears seatbelts when sitting up front, but what's your story if you don't?

I spent most of my time on the bench seat, thus not belted.

crashh

Forum Crew Member
we all buckle up even in the bench seats. our driver doesn't move until we do, so we all do it w/out even thinking about it.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Yep. We had a LODD from an unbelted crash a few years back.

Belted, 99% of the time.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
29435.jpg

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
I try to remember to wear mine.

In my normal box unit if I wear it on the bench I cant provide care as I cant reach that far. For chatting and no hands on it is fine to wear and I try to make an effort to wear it.

I got to work in one of our new Sprinters the other day and the benches on those have an H style harness that buckles across the chest and lower abd/hip area. I wore it and was able to do everything while buckled. It was pretty cool to be able to move around.

The drawback is that if Im away from the wall and the inertia locks the belt there is still some room to be tossed between the belt and the wall. Its less than a couple feet though and beats winding up on my head or against the cabinets. The wall has lots of padding though.

Something else overlooked is securing the equipment.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
abckidsmom

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I try to remember to wear mine.

In my normal box unit if I wear it on the bench I cant provide care as I cant reach that far. For chatting and no hands on it is fine to wear and I try to make an effort to wear it.

I got to work in one of our new Sprinters the other day and the benches on those have an H style harness that buckles across the chest and lower abd/hip area. I wore it and was able to do everything while buckled. It was pretty cool to be able to move around.

The drawback is that if Im away from the wall and the inertia locks the belt there is still some room to be tossed between the belt and the wall. Its less than a couple feet though and beats winding up on my head or against the cabinets. The wall has lots of padding though.

Something else overlooked is securing the equipment.

I'd like to try those harnesses.

Reaching the things I need to reach is a real problem. We have fantstic new Freightliner chassis boxes that I can stand up straight in (5'10") and that I can't reach a sharps box from the bench, the drug box cabinet from anywhere, and the monitor from anywhere but the jump seat. It's a huge box.

I like to think we do an ok job on securing items in the box, it's ourselves that's a real problem.

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
I'm new but the times I've ridden on the ambulance I buckled up every time. It's foolish to get killed because you didn't do something as simple as put your belt on.

Anonymous

Forum Captain

I have to say I am the same as you, which is odd because in my personal vehicle and up front I always wear my seat belt. I have been thrown pretty hard into the captains chair when my partner unexpectedly hit the brakes. luckily it provided some cushion.

JPINFV

Gadfly
In the 2 years I worked at my original company I didn't use a seat belt for the first 6-7 months or so because it "was uncomfortable." However, once I started wearing one, even though it was pretty loosely worn, I was able to get used to wearing it. I feel that the limitations are generally over estimated, especially for providers operating at the EMT level.

It's not too hard to take a set of vitals while belted in. Actually, once I got used to wearing a seat belt I felt it got easier to take vitals while moving because I didn't have to concentrate on bracing myself against the ambulance changing speeds or turning.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
When in the driver seat or passenger seat yes.

When in the back with a patient usually not because I'm doing patient care (very short transport times).

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
I'd like to try those harnesses.

Reaching the things I need to reach is a real problem. We have fantstic new Freightliner chassis boxes that I can stand up straight in (5'10") and that I can't reach a sharps box from the bench, the drug box cabinet from anywhere, and the monitor from anywhere but the jump seat. It's a huge box.

I like to think we do an ok job on securing items in the box, it's ourselves that's a real problem.

I understand. I ride in a nice size generator box but sharps isnt within reach, drug box rides in our ALS bag which is on the floor, monitor hangs off the stretcher head so it's facing forward etc..It isnt conducive to staying in one place.

The harnesses are standard in our AEV and Demers Sprinters.

This AEV drawing gives an idea http://www.aev.com/uploads/file/ambulances/intrf.pdf

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I'm the odd one that does. I learned that lesson from an IED in Iraq that launched me across the MRAP and gave me a pretty decent concussion.

I will admit to only wearing the lap belts on our H-belted rig at times.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
No lie, I mostly wear my seat belt. I can take vital signs and interview the patient while it's on. I'll take it off to grab things out of the cabinet and doing a physical exam, but I try to minimize how often I take it off and how long it is off.

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
I never wear a seatbelt in the back.

Up front, it's hit or miss. If it's a truck wo AC, the chances of a seatbelt smothering me are nil(just a thought that came to my head as to the times I don't wear one)

In a personal vehicle, I buckle up 100% of the time.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Just depends.

If I'm up front, ambulance, POV or other, I'm always belted in, and will not move the vehicle till all passengers are.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
When I'm up front, or in a POV, I always buckle up.

However, when I'm in the back, I must say, I very rarely wear it unfortunately. I've never really put too much thought into it. That being said, I've had my partner slam the brakes on going 60 mph because she found out she was going the wrong way...that launched me from a seated position on the bench seat, up into the shelves where our bags are stored. I should start wearing my seatbelt...

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Most of our trucks have the H-Style harness on the bench seat. I can take vitals and write my PCR with ease in them. A straight lap belt it a bit harder but I still make the effort. I try and do most of my patient care before the ambulance starts moving (which is not hard on a BLS truck). Sometimes the harness has to come off, I try and get it back on as soon as possible.

Many people I work with think the net at the end of the bench does the same thing, I have no interest in proving them wrong with an injury. AEV puts a sign up saying it's not a primary restraint device and I believe them though I'm sure hitting it sucks less than hitting the shelves with the bags.

Driving or riding shotgun it's always on, even if we're just changing parking spots. Force of habit to put it on once a vehicle starts moving.