Bandaids

Has anyone ever used a bandaid in the field?

• Total voters

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
I want to get up to 500 posts. So just play along.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
I actually have. There's a mountain trail race in town every Memorial Day weekend, and we set up an aid tent at the finish line. A couple of our folks are designated as "catchers" and anyone with any blood on them gets diverted into the tent as soon as they cross. Minor injuries are quite common since the trail is rather steep and narrow in spots.

We generally just wash off the wound and apply a dressing or band-aid depending on the size, then send them on their way.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
all the time. kid falls of the swing. mom flips and hits the button. bell goes off, doors go up and trucks go out all for a skinned knee

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Park has an emergency button or something?

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Bandaids for kiddies (even on non-bleeding boo boos, they make everything better).

Bandaids for anyone else who wants one, and for glucose sticks that don't clot right away.

ECC

Forum Captain
Band-aids fix everything!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt@May 12 2005, 09:01 PM
Bandaids for kiddies (even on non-bleeding boo boos, they make everything better).

Bandaids for anyone else who wants one, and for glucose sticks that don't clot right away.
yep....

and I do standbys....

Jon

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
chimpie: no the park doesnt litterally have a button. kind of a joke type of thing.....

come on, work with me here

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
I hit no, then I realized I did use one on a glucose stick in my whopping 72 hrs in the field. :rolleyes:

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by KEVD18@May 13 2005, 07:42 AM
chimpie: no the park doesnt litterally have a button. kind of a joke type of thing.....

Hey, after 9/11 you never know what's out there any more.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by KEVD18@May 13 2005, 09:42 AM

It would make life easy, though.

Wait... no big ol' blue poles in the parking lots????

Jon

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
On my ride along I cut my finger on some little metal part sticking out somewhere and we actually dont even carry bandaids! If we did we would save more lives. :lol:

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Banaids?

Mine come three inches wide, several inches long, and I can do a damn impressive tape job.

I've never used a Bandaid in the field, but believe it or not I've worked very few traumas. Lots of "Chest pain" and similar, a few broken bones, but no use for bandaids.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
LOL Thinking back, I remembered a time when I wish I coulda used a band-aid.

Shortly after becoming a First Responder, I did what most new FRs (or EMTs) do and bought the biggest, baddest trauma kit I could find (the Mega-Medic from Galls, I believe) and carried it around in my truck. :D

A few months later, my wife and I went along as chaperones on a youth group trip to Disneyland. As we were returning to the cars at the end of the day (parked in the big structure) one of the girls fell on the escalator and cut her finger on the metal ridges that "mesh" the steps together (if you've ever ridden one, you know what I mean). It wasn't bad, but it was bleeding, so I took her over to my truck and pulled out THE KIT. As I was going through THE KIT, I realized that while I've had tons of gauze, tape, occlusive dressings, a BVM and lots of other kewl EMS gear, I didn't have one single, solitary Band-Aid. So, I ended up having to wrap her finger in gauze. :rolleyes:

When we got back to church, I made sure I found her mom before she did, and warned her that her finger WAS still attached and that it was just a minor cut.

The next day, I went to the store and bought a box of Band-Aids. :p

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Originally posted by Chimpie+May 13 2005, 08:44 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chimpie @ May 13 2005, 08:44 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-KEVD18@May 13 2005, 07:42 AM

Hey, after 9/11 you never know what's out there any more. [/b][/quote]
They're actually fairly common around here. Not sure about parks per se, but a lot of shopping centers and other places have installed emergency call boxes with panic buttons. Disneyland's also installed them in their big new parking structure.

They had them at USC when I was there (they bragged that you could stand in any spot on campus and see at least 2 of them...I tried it several times and it always worked). One of the DPS guys was telling me once that they had a student being chased across campus by someone. The gal kept hitting the panic button on every call box she passed, and DPS was able to track her and figure out where to make an intercept.

OP
OP
TTLWHKR

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by SafetyPro+May 24 2005, 05:39 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SafetyPro @ May 24 2005, 05:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Chimpie@May 13 2005, 08:44 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-KEVD18
@May 13 2005, 07:42 AM

They're actually fairly common around here. Not sure about parks per se, but a lot of shopping centers and other places have installed emergency call boxes with panic buttons. Disneyland's also installed them in their big new parking structure.

They had them at USC when I was there (they bragged that you could stand in any spot on campus and see at least 2 of them...I tried it several times and it always worked). One of the DPS guys was telling me once that they had a student being chased across campus by someone. The gal kept hitting the panic button on every call box she passed, and DPS was able to track her and figure out where to make an intercept. [/b][/quote]
My wife likes to walk through department stores and push the customer assist buttons, then run away. Or push them and ask a really stupid question. Just to screw w/ them :lol:

You can also buy these radios at WalMart that they actually use in the store, so you walk through the store, memorizing names of employees, then when you leave, call all of them to different parts of the store.

:D :p

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by SafetyPro+May 24 2005, 06:39 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SafetyPro @ May 24 2005, 06:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Chimpie@May 13 2005, 08:44 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-KEVD18
@May 13 2005, 07:42 AM

They had them at USC when I was there (they bragged that you could stand in any spot on campus and see at least 2 of them...I tried it several times and it always worked). One of the DPS guys was telling me once that they had a student being chased across campus by someone. The gal kept hitting the panic button on every call box she passed, and DPS was able to track her and figure out where to make an intercept. [/b][/quote]
I belive it. We have them at work.. Really useful when they want you to call in by phone, and you are standing in the back end of the farthest lot.

Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by SafetyPro@May 24 2005, 06:36 PM
LOL Thinking back, I remembered a time when I wish I coulda used a band-aid.

Shortly after becoming a First Responder, I did what most new FRs (or EMTs) do and bought the biggest, baddest trauma kit I could find (the Mega-Medic from Galls, I believe) and carried it around in my truck. :D

A few months later, my wife and I went along as chaperones on a youth group trip to Disneyland. As we were returning to the cars at the end of the day (parked in the big structure) one of the girls fell on the escalator and cut her finger on the metal ridges that "mesh" the steps together (if you've ever ridden one, you know what I mean). It wasn't bad, but it was bleeding, so I took her over to my truck and pulled out THE KIT. As I was going through THE KIT, I realized that while I've had tons of gauze, tape, occlusive dressings, a BVM and lots of other kewl EMS gear, I didn't have one single, solitary Band-Aid. So, I ended up having to wrap her finger in gauze. :rolleyes:

When we got back to church, I made sure I found her mom before she did, and warned her that her finger WAS still attached and that it was just a minor cut.

The next day, I went to the store and bought a box of Band-Aids. :p
That's why I stocked my bag myself.

I have band-aid's, etc.

Jon