Backpack and Equipment/Supplies recommendations?

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm putting together a backpack for us to use on runs where a lot of walking is necessary or just for events where we can't get the medic into parts of the venue.

Our current first-in bags are very heavy and have pretty much everything under the sun in them. (They aren't really first in bags as they are the entire ambulance in a bag, but that's a gripe that is above my pay grade). The problem is that these bags are shoulder hung and therefore too cumbersome to take on a 5 mile hike down a trail or even if we park outside of a stadium and have to walk to the patient a good ways.

Enter my solution: a BLS Backpack. It would have all of our minor trauma supplies but only in enough quantity for 2 patients (our first in bag has enough for a small mass-casualty right now...) and a set of major trauma supplies (board splint, BVM etc). Our O2 bottle and O2 supplies (NC, NRB, Neb, etc) would be carried in a separate oxygen bag that's already been scoped out.

Can anyone recommend either a good bag that would do this or an alternate solution to what I'm trying to do? The 2 largest items I have in there right now are the 15" armboard (which is much cheaper than the rolled SAM splint) and the BVM so anything that has dimensions that can fit those 2 should work.

Thanks guys!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Email or message me?

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
Check out the Statpacks. They've got the best selection of backpacks I've seen. We use the G1 as a first in ALS bag, and it's got everything we need but O2 and a monitor. Still not overly heavy, fits well as a backpack and has a shoulder strap option too. I've taken it on several long hike-outs and never had an issue.

Oh, and it's got side pockets that should fit the 15" arm board, and more than enough room for a BVM.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We use Thomas Packs and they're pretty awesome.

mycrofft

Plan your mission, stock materials for the mission, then find a COMFORTABLE pack which will encompass it. Do not ignore carriers which are not medically themed and decorated. (For instance, backpacks which also have a top loop for carrying/hanging with a carabiner and wheels and an extendable handle are very versatile and if it IS a decent backpack you will applaud it going to or from your event. Or if you have wet circumstances and can hang it off a fence or a tent rigging by that carabiner to keep it dry). I like the old NATO rucksack as a pure backpack.

Don't go cheap. SAM splint does not cost that much versus a straight splint which requires that the affected limb be pulled straight and which has limited use besides upper and maybe lower extremity. Don't buy cheap elastic bandages. Don't buy cheap non-woven "gauze" sponges. don't buy cheap tape. Do not buy unitized supplies.

The "Kit Paradox" is that the items you will urgently need "fast and good" will be needed least frequently (airways, tourniquets) and this militates towards buying cheap.

(The "User Paradox" is why after an emergency people will throw their trash and wrappers etc. back into the kit, clip it shut, and declare Miller Time after an emergency when actually you aren't done 'til that kit is ready for the next event).

Last edited by a moderator:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
We exclusively use StatPacks at our service. The "perfusion" model is comfy as a backpack, rugged and let's you cram a lot of stuff in there. (Which is a whole 'nother story...)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If you're looking for comfy backpacks my Osprey Kode is super comfy and has a ton if space for it's size.

150$ a pop though so not cheap. Cheaper than most medical bags would be thoufh

mycrofft

Consider weight, though, if you are going to be hauling any length of time or distance. A big pack you can put on and hump up four floors of stairs may not be the load out and carrier you want to go half way through a mud race up and down muddy slippery hills with a load and a half.

We had Iron Duck duffles as kit holders which with designed load (by a deputy, not a EMT or nurse) initially weighed in at 22 lbs apiece and only three of us could carry them any distance in a hurry. Cut the unnecessaries back (including O2 as you did) and dropped that to 17, and problem solved.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
If you're also looking for supplies, I would recommend looking outside of the traditional EMS supply stores and look a bit more into wilderness/tactical medicine supplies. They have collapsible BVMs, compressed gauze that is ¼ of the size of the normal rolls, and vacumn sealed modules which are not only smaller, but also contain everything that you need for a procedure readily available in one package. You will definitely be able to save space by replacing bulkier items with vacumn packed alternatives, that arguably work better.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
In terms of medical backpacks that are designed to be carried long(ish) distances, you can't beat Conterra products if you have the money. We have a couple for wilderness calls, and while massive, they are just as comfortable as my Osprey backpacking pack. We use the ALS Extreme pack, which is probably overkill for you. Our flight crews use the Flightline pack, which is much more compact and probably about what you need.

Also we get 36" offbrand SAM splints for like six bucks and they come with a roll of Coban to secure them. Much more useful than board splints I'd say.

OP
OP
W

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll see what we have in terms of budget to get a separate set of supplies for these packs. I like the compact supplies idea, but I have no control over supplies. However, if it's going to save that much more space and won't be too much more expensive, it might not be a bad idea. I just don't know how our supplies guy will feel about having to keep track (and order) 2 sets of things or how that'd work with supply tracking.

OP
OP
W

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
In terms of medical backpacks that are designed to be carried long(ish) distances, you can't beat Conterra products if you have the money. We have a couple for wilderness calls, and while massive, they are just as comfortable as my Osprey backpacking pack. We use the ALS Extreme pack, which is probably overkill for you. Our flight crews use the Flightline pack, which is much more compact and probably about what you need.

Also we get 36" offbrand SAM splints for like six bucks and they come with a roll of Coban to secure them. Much more useful than board splints I'd say.

Ooooh! I like those! Other than not being able to fit a BVM or the 15" splint without it hanging out, the quick response pack seems to be what I want. I want to keep the bag small so people don't try to stuff the entire ambulance into it like they've done with our "First-In bags" and that looks like it could fit everything I need.

Since for events we'll have 3 people, I'm thinking about a tackle box for bandaids, sunscreen, and other minor first aid supplies. So one guy carries the first in pack, one guy has the O2 pack and one guy has the boo-boo box. Good idea? Bad Idea?

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
I thought you said that this was for wilderness hikes and such. If this is for events, your ambo should get priority location spotting and you should get there early enough to pre-stage with your first-in bags at the medical tent. If you are looking at it for wilderness, the boo-boo box can wait until it gets back to the ambulance. Either way, I don't see a need why you need to be carrying it around.

OP
OP
W

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
I thought you said that this was for wilderness hikes and such. If this is for events, your ambo should get priority location spotting and you should get there early enough to pre-stage with your first-in bags at the medical tent. If you are looking at it for wilderness, the boo-boo box can wait until it gets back to the ambulance. Either way, I don't see a need why you need to be carrying it around.

It's both. Well, more than just both--multi-purpose would be the best way to say it.

I've over-simplified it a lot to make things easier to explain, but it's for a few things. 1) day-to-day runs that we take into more secluded areas. We don't ever plan to go on hikes, but there are plenty of times when we can't get the grassfighter out the door so we don't have a ride into the trails. 2) standby events outside doesn't mean we'll be able to park right next to the incident. Some venues are large and outdoors but can't accommodate a medic (think mud fields) and other are just large (think convention center) so we'd be inside somewhere.

For day to day "wilderness" responses, we'd be looking at just taking the first-in bag and the O2 bag. You're absolutely right that the boo-boo box can wait. But for events, we'd want that with us since some people might just want a bandaid for their foot so it would be nice to have that right next to us rather than trying walk 10-20 minutes or more back to the truck to get it! But since for events, we'd have an extra person, it's not an issue to have a third box.

OP
OP
W

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Are you working something like the Tough Mudder?

I suppose that's a possibility but no, we don't have anything like that right now. The only things that we can't get our medic into (so football games etc don't count) are things like street festivals (where there's just too many people) fairgrounds, and anything that is more remote such as the state parks.

mycrofft

Are you working something like the Tough Mudder?

God help you.;)

Had enough?

WrestleManiaIV-Uker.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sundancer

Forum Ride Along
Running it in less than 3 weeks. Been working out hard and logging miles running with my teammates. Our goal this race is the same as when they ran it without me last year: finish and don't get hurt.