Average ems span

Asclepius911

Forum Lieutenant
This thread is to find the average years Emts/paramedics stay in EMS (or plans to) before going into another health related field, such as RN, PA, MD, and DO. Ill start as an example.

Years in (or planning to stay in) EMS/ health field orientation

I'm planning to stay in one more year/ Going into MD

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan216

Forum Crew Member
So far from what I've seen, I plan on retiring in it. However I'm only 19, and could be a bit irrational. Loving it so far.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Planning to stay in EMS (part-time) until I'm no longer physically capable of doing so, going for AEMT as soon as I have the time/pursuing my MPH and MBA in a couple of years (2 to 4) with an eye towards health finance, policy, or something along those lines

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Plan on stay in EMS for ~2 more years then go to the fire side (still do EMS)

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
In my 7th year as a medic. I may go on to flight or critical care but I plan on staying in EMS . Though a lot of medic stay longer in Canada as EMS is a career and not just a job.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I've been in 20 years, have been to nursing and come back. This is the job for me. When I can't physically do it any more, I will teach.

ETA: I'm 34. I am extremely confident in the thought that I have at least 15 more years.

IndyEMT

Forum Probie
planing on using my EMT experience as a stepping stone into fire. Long term I want to be a Medic for a big city fire dept.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
EMS for almost 6 years at this point. Plan on staying full time in EMS until I finish my AAS and BS and go my my MS to be a PA. Will probably stay in EMS in some capacity though. I'm currently pursuing flight and critical care

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
The average lifespan for paramedics in my system is seven years. Many have moved on to become the PAs, nurses, flight medics or system administrators. This isn't really the kind of place where you leave to become a medic in another system. From here, most move up... not laterally.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm at 12 years all on ground and will be trying to move onto flight or nursing school next year.

Time for another challenge. I can't keep doing street corner posting forever and my current service has completely killed any desire to move back up or stay here longer.

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
Been in EMS 10 years (8 as a medic), but have been working pretty rarely for the past 3 years. When I hit 11 years (in ~9 months), I'll be an M.D. However, I still plan on being involved with EMS in some capacity. I think if you find the right place, one can very well make a career as a medic.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
In my 20th year working ft 911 and ED and now a supervisor and will continue doing it as long as I am physically able. Which at this point can be a very long time with my families history of longevity. Considered the nursing route even finished all the required California pre-req work for it and got waitlisted. Then decided after the 3rd time of turning down nursing school when my number came up, nursing wasn't for me. Medic it is for me.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
Shortest career I ever saw lasted less than a day. First day of orientation for my new trainee and we got a gnarly pedi trauma. She actually walked off the job after we arrived at the ED, and I never saw her again.

But I'm about seven years in and still going strong!

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
been an EMT for 4 years, moving on the RN but plan of challenging and becoming an MICN, ill work medic shifts and CCT shifts on my days off from the hospital. so ill never really leave