At the upper levels of Allied Health/Nursing, are we really all just clinicians?

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
The school nurse thread got me thinking. I have considerable knowledge overlap with nursing and other allied health disciplines. I study from their books, I seek out various providers opinions, ect. So I pose this question to the forum. Among the high-performing individuals in a given health field, does the title stop
to matter at some point? Should we just consider ourselves to be clinicians and not a nurse/paramedic/RRT?

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Clinicians, yes, but with role-specific education that helps us specialize.

I don't think RRTs belong in this conversation, though. While they have plenty of general physiological education, the specialization narrows the focus such that I don't think it would be a 1 or 2 month orientation to widen their view to being able to manage the whole patient. I do appreciate the mad skillz of a great RRT- we only had 1, maybe 2 on our 16 bed STICU, and they kept things going so well.

As for nurses and paramedics? There is so much overlap that the high-performing medics could, with some focused additional education, function quite nicely as RNs in critical care and EDs. I think the average high-performing medic would struggle to find motivation and ability to meet the needs of an average assignment on a floor, though. I think we're only talking <5% of medics who would be able to handle it.

High-performing RNs in EDs and CCUs could, in theory, function as medics, but again, we're talking less than 5%.

Theoretically, I think these "high-performing" clinicians could diversify with a semester or maybe two of focused study, realistically. Paramedics really don't learn everything nurses do, and I can't imagine some of the really excellent nurses I know actually functioning well in a dark alley somewhere without some buttering up.