Asheville Area EMS

ArmoredMedic

Forum Ride Along
Hey, ya'll.

So, I'm an EMS professional with 4 1/2 years EMS with a Private agency that runs both transfers and 911 calls.

I just got my Nationally Registered Paramedic License and looking to move to the Asheville /Buncombe county area within minimally the next year. I'm just looking to see what the market is like for EMS pay and what job opportunities there are. Preferably, I'd like to be in a 911 system and don't mind a little bit of a commute to get to work.

Not entirely sure where exactly we'd move to, but the aforementioned areas is where we'd like to stick close to.

I appreciate any whom answer.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I can't tell you too much about Buncombe EMS, but I can tell you that Asheville has become very crowded and very expensive in the last handful of years. Many people struggle to afford housing, and even people who make really good money often choose to live a ways away and commute to work. Traffic in certain parts of the Asheville area has gotten really bad, too.

Not trying to be negative, just saying you'll want to really do your homework as far as housing costs and commute times before you move here.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
This should get you off to a decent start:

As for salaries, $16.69 - $17.36

OP
OP
A

ArmoredMedic

Forum Ride Along
I appreciate both of ya'll answering. Yeah, I'm seeing that housing is kind of expensive in Asheveille proper. And I'm hearing taxes are different than what I'm probably used to? Medics here get paid 20, but that's Louisiana taxed, too. I wouldn't mind like a 30 minute commute or so from home to work.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Ehh, housing isn't too bad, because a 30 minute commute is nothing for a 24 hour shift. Also, you don't have to live in the city; there are plenty of places in the county, or in one of the neighboring areas. https://www.zillow.com/homes/Buncombe-County,-NC_rb/ has all the rentals in the county

Taxes are pretty simple: you pay for where you live. so if you live in the city, you pay city, county, state and federal taxes. if you live in the county, you pay county, state and federal taxes. it's not that big of a deal.

When I first moved to NC, I lived in Raleigh, made 15/hr, and had a two bedroom / two bath in the city limits, with a 30-45 minute commute (traffic sucks). I made less at my next job, had a 45-60 minute commute, for at 6am, or for a 24 hour shift it was a cake walk since there was no traffic.

if you are deadset on Asheville / Buncombe county (there are several threads on NC EMS on this site), apply, and go down for their assessment process. Bring your partner, drive around the area, look at apartment complexes, ask questions about the system to those not involved in the hiring process about the system and ask everyone where are the best places to live. If you like it, if you like the area, if you can afford it, and can afford the move (moving ain't cheap), and have nothing holding you down, go for it.

OP
OP
A

ArmoredMedic

Forum Ride Along
Ehh, housing isn't too bad, because a 30 minute commute is nothing for a 24 hour shift. Also, you don't have to live in the city; there are plenty of places in the county, or in one of the neighboring areas. https://www.zillow.com/homes/Buncombe-County,-NC_rb/ has all the rentals in the county

Taxes are pretty simple: you pay for where you live. so if you live in the city, you pay city, county, state and federal taxes. if you live in the county, you pay county, state and federal taxes. it's not that big of a deal.

When I first moved to NC, I lived in Raleigh, made 15/hr, and had a two bedroom / two bath in the city limits, with a 30-45 minute commute (traffic sucks). I made less at my next job, had a 45-60 minute commute, for at 6am, or for a 24 hour shift it was a cake walk since there was no traffic.

if you are deadset on Asheville / Buncombe county (there are several threads on NC EMS on this site), apply, and go down for their assessment process. Bring your partner, drive around the area, look at apartment complexes, ask questions about the system to those not involved in the hiring process about the system and ask everyone where are the best places to live. If you like it, if you like the area, if you can afford it, and can afford the move (moving ain't cheap), and have nothing holding you down, go for it.
I appreciate your input.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Ehh, housing isn't too bad, because a 30 minute commute is nothing for a 24 hour shift. Also, you don't have to live in the city; there are plenty of places in the county, or in one of the neighboring areas.

Do you live or work in the Asheville area? Because I do, and I don't know of anyone around who would agree that "housing isn't too bad".

Of course you don't have to live in the city. In fact, that isn't even an option for someone who makes $17/hr. But then you have the problem of traffic, which likely leaves you with much more than a 30 minute commute. Of course that depends on factors such as exactly where you live in relation to your station, and what time you come and go for your shifts.

No, the housing and traffic it isn't terrible. It isn't like Boston or SF or DC. But it is much worse than many people expect when they first move here.

OP, again, I'm not at all trying to scare you away. I just want you to be aware of some considerations which seem to escape many people.