Arrest Resuscitation

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I've had TWO cardiac arrest fully resusciated and talking to me in the truck in as many weeks.

Guy on Thursday arrested in tbe checkout line at the grocery store. Bystander CPR and 3 AED shocks had him in sinus tach when I got there. Amazing. He was asking me what happened and asked me to call his daughter. The doc at the ED was a bit doubtful about it actually being a code. She asked me, "are you sure it wasn't just a seizure?"

I just got the AED data and it's amazing. It was a for real VF arrest that had a run of TdP. Great CPR and three shocks. He was a very lucky guy.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Awesome job, you've earned this:

Paramedic-firefighter-heroes2.jpg

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

Hahah. There are plenty of EMS providers that will never get a save and I just had two, in two weeks. That's a story with sharing.

And also worth noting, ALS had nothing to do with the ROSC. It was good CPR. I just happened to be the guy that had to write the chart.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
And also worth noting, ALS had nothing to do with the ROSC. It was good CPR.
I wish we could convince many firefighters in my area of this.

I had a couple of the same calls, with similar reactions by the receiving ED docs as well.

My most memorable being a VT with pulses—>sinus arrest—>”Did I just die?...”

It really is pretty neat to see. Good stuff, man.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

The one two weeks ago was at a dialysis center. Guy collapsed in the waiting room. PEA arrest, got pulses back. Bradycardic in tbe elevator on the way down to the truck. I started pacing him and he woke up. We were rolling to the ED we he asked me what happened. I told him he had arrested in tbe waiting room,we did CPR and got him back and his reply was priceless.

"Wow. Are you F###ing kidding me?"

Nope. Not kidding.

He got the whole crew a save award bar and some great stories.

As an aside, they pulled the pacing pads off in the ED before I could give a report and he immediately became unresponsive again. Serves them right. Slow down techs, let the medic talk before you get all up in my stuff.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

I always like when our codes are complaining minutes after getting ROSC, it's one of the best feeling in medicine. Nice work.

"My chest hurts. What did you guys do to me?"

" It's called CPR sir. It's the reason you're still alive to complain."

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
The doc at the ED was a bit doubtful about it actually being a code. She asked me, "are you sure it wasn't just a seizure?"

New kid? She'll eventually learn to wait for the cath results/ echo before trying to demonstrate she's smarter than everyone else...

VentMonkey

Family Guy
New kid? She'll eventually learn to wait for the cath results/ echo before trying to demonstrate she's smarter than everyone else...
Or, in my case, simply skeptical jaded ED docs.

Nonetheless, sometimes care in the field can be hard pressed to convince, much like it may be for the bystanders to convey to us prior to our arrival. Been there as well...

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
That's awesome, good work.

Been a while since I've had any go well like that. The past few have been GSW, massive head bleed, ped vs car, and what I presume to be ruptured varices. Nothing that offers a good starting place....my very first as a medic was the only one I've had like that.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

Or, in my case, simply skeptical jaded ED docs.

Nonetheless, sometimes care in the field can be hard pressed to convince, much like it may be for the bystanders to convey to us prior to our arrival. Been there as well...

That's why I can't wait to show her the arrest data.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190908-155239.png
    Screenshot_20190908-155239.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 289

VentMonkey

Family Guy
It's one thing to be skeptical and jaded, it's another to run one's mouth without all the facts. Mutually exclusive most times, in fact.
True statement. I think a lot of us have been guilty of this at one point or another in our lifetime. I certainly have; have eaten crow many-a-time.

But if said person continues to fall flat on their own arrogance time and time again, then I can’t help but feel just a tad bad for them. That’s a long life to live.

@NomadicMedic pretty “classic” looking Torsades there. Neato. Also, hopefully it turns the “value in prehospital medicine” light bulb on for the doc in question. All we can hope for, ya?

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

Most of the docs here believe in what we do, but there is still a long way to go.