Armed EMS. How many of you carry?

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
It’s amazing what a little bit of epi and some CPR will do to a dead thread.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
True, but I've always viewed it as at least they used the search feature.
It would have been buried sufficiently that it would have taken a long time to find it without the search feature being used. Now that being said, since this thread was started, quite a few more states now (technically) allow some form of carrying a firearm in public. Hawaii is still (probably) the most strict by far, but many states are now doing a permitless "constitutional carry" approach. My own particular county went from being VERY restrictive to very permissive in 2010 and now there are probably something like 12,000 (or a lot more) people in this county that have a CCW license with very FEW problems. About 3-4 years ago CCW holders were exempt from prohibitions regarding carrying their firearms on school/college/university campuses. A Vice Principal who was found out ended up causing a knee-jerk reaction (nobody ever injured before or since by a CCW holder) which removed that exemption.

I would carry at work except for a few issues: One is I wear scrubs. Standard IWB won't work. Two is I'd want to wear armor rated for what I carry (and the armor would be obvious). Three is that I value my job (along with the bennies) such that if I were to carry there and was discovered, I'd be fired. If I were to be injured/killed while working, not being armed basically allows my beneficiaries to collect the payout. This doesn't mean I don't carry while not working. Job has no say over this when I'm not on the clock. Four: we have lots of security and we can get many PD and SO officers there very quickly if needed. Five, I do have equipment that can be used as a weapon and small folding pocket knives aren't looked at as "weapons" because they're often used tools...

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
I don't when I'm working for the hospital. For one we always have armed police officers on staff from the district we are in, I feel safe enough when they are here. Second I'm fearful that I will lose or forget my gun when being carried in a concealed method (I have some very light weight and low profile handguns ) that I personally fear myself dropping a gun and not realizing only to be found by a kid or family later with Ill consequence.

When I'm in the field or on my personal time I carry whenever I can.

The reality blends a balance between risk and benefit. Back in my fire days I'd be happy to work without a gun (and even today if I still worked there). Our district was safe and of essentially zero violent crime.

Today the hospital I work for is downtown in a major city, I've treated plenty of adults and kids that have been shot or stabbed. If I'm doing anything in the area and I don't have one of our police officers with me I definitely have a gun on me.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Yes, I was in Herzliya in 2007, as a Metnadev "Hu"L", and was grandfathered in as a Hovesh Bacheir, working on Natan, although only took the 60-hour course.
I miss MDA, and look forward to going back soon...

What...?

What?

Sounds cool and all,but greek.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Sounds cool and all,but greek.
Yiddish.
It’s a 7 year old thread with Israeli medics talking about working during the Gaza War, who are long gone from here.

Last edited:

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
It’s amazing what a little bit of epi and some CPR will do to a dead thread.
7 years... they used the old paddles.
You’re clear, I’m clear, we’re all clear!

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I do not carry on duty, I don't see real danger , especially in IFT, and adding a gun in close quarters is just a recipe for distaster.

CALEMT

Verbal judo is always my go to... now when I’m off duty if I’m out of the house I have my gun on me.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I carry two cannons at all times. One on each bicep.

CALEMT

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Verbal judo is always my go to... now when I’m off duty if I’m out of the house I have my gun on me.
when your verbal judo fails than what do you do, other than panic?

and if verbal judo was so good, why not just use it off duty and leave the gun at home?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Our state constitution allows all employees to carry firearms. A lot so carry firearms, but it’s based off their right. Dispatchers carry, animal control, EMS, librarians, electrical maintenance. You never now who is armed.
What state is this?

CALEMT

when your verbal judo fails than what do you do

Leave. Why stay in a situation that you can't diffuse?

and if verbal judo was so good, why not just use it off duty and leave the gun at home?

Because this is America and I freaking can and I never said my verbal judo was good.

Achilles

Forum Moron
Wow old thread, last time I mentioned the word gun on this site, everyone in the thread got a citation and the thread was locked, glad to see we can talk about it again...
Haven’t seen any laws that prohibit us to carry, but the hopsical doesn’t like them.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Wow old thread, last time I mentioned the word gun on this site, everyone in the thread got a citation and the thread was locked, glad to see we can talk about it again...
Haven’t seen any laws that prohibit us to carry, but the hopsical doesn’t like them.

If a hospital has legal signage, we can't carry, even as EMS.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
If I ever get mugged, I’m going with the defense that it’s not legal...

That's a terrible defense, and depending on the jury or judge, you might get nailed.

Someone else breaking a law doesn't give you Permission to break another, especially premeditated

Achilles

Forum Moron
That's a terrible defense, and depending on the jury or judge, you might get nailed.

Someone else breaking a law doesn't give you Permission to break another, especially premeditated
K